Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 4,376 times

Advertisements

What I have looked up is that they have to give notice unless it is an emergency that falls in with the emergency parts of the landlord tent laws, such as massive leaking pipes, fire ect. To be honest there was no reason for her to be here, and it is just that her and I have issues and I know she is trying to press buttons and I am not the only one asking about this same issue. This is more of a 4 for one stone situation. There are 4 of us working on this same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 4,376 times
It is my right to tell them they can't enter my home unless I am home and they can schedule an appointment. I have already looked it up for my states landlord tent laws, and they have to respect it, of course unless it is some sort of emergency that falls under landlord tent laws like fire alarm going off, leaking pipes ect.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlmarcia View Post
It is my right to tell them they can't enter my home unless I am home and they can schedule an appointment. I have already looked it up for my states landlord tent laws, and they have to respect it, of course unless it is some sort of emergency that falls under landlord tent laws like fire alarm going off, leaking pipes ect.
Please tell us what state this is that requires a tenant to be in the home with an appointment. The landlord, or his/her agent, gave you proper notice.

Prepare to find a new place when your lease is up.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Please tell us what state this is that requires a tenant to be in the home with an appointment. The landlord, or his/her agent, gave you proper notice.

Prepare to find a new place when your lease is up.

OR. I posted the link in post #9. Here it is again:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/90.322
It does state the tenant can cancel a 24 hour notice however, it doesn't state how often they can do it. I doubt the tenant can continuously deny entry based on the info in the link.

It does state this though:
(2) A landlord may not abuse the right of access or use it to harass the tenant. A tenant may not unreasonably withhold consent from the landlord to enter.

And this:
(7) If the tenant refuses to allow lawful access, the landlord may obtain injunctive relief to compel access or may terminate the rental agreement under ORS 90.392 (Termination of rental agreement by landlord for cause) and take possession as provided in ORS 105.105 (Entry to be lawful and peaceable only) to 105.168 (Minor as party in proceedings pertaining to residential dwellings). In addition, the landlord may recover actual damages.

And more:
(ii) A tenant may deny consent for a landlord or landlords agent to enter upon the premises pursuant to this paragraph if the entry is at an unreasonable time or with unreasonable frequency. The tenant must assert the denial by giving actual notice of the denial to the landlord or landlords agent prior to, or at the time of, the attempted entry.
(B) As used in this paragraph:
(i) Yard maintenance or grounds keeping includes, but is not limited to, weeding, mowing grass and pruning trees and shrubs.
(ii) Unreasonable time refers to a time of day, day of the week or particular time that conflicts with the tenants reasonable and specific plans to use the premises.
(f) In all other cases, unless there is an agreement between the landlord and the tenant to the contrary regarding a specific entry, the landlord shall give the tenant at least 24 hours actual notice of the intent of the landlord to enter and the landlord or landlords agent may enter only at reasonable times. The landlord or landlords agent may not enter if the tenant, after receiving the landlords notice, denies consent to enter. The tenant must assert this denial of consent by giving actual notice of the denial to the landlord or the landlords agent or by attaching a written notice of the denial in a secure manner to the main entrance to that portion of the premises or dwelling unit of which the tenant has exclusive control, prior to or at the time of the attempt by the landlord or landlords agent to enter.

All of the above is out of order but pertinent to OP's situation and questions. Read it in its entirety in the link.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 04-11-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
You have a huge preference for unknown construction workers to be wandering around your house unsupervised? Really? You don't want your landlord there to keep an eye on them and to give them directions about what they are to do? Are you going to explain what work is to be done and are you going to take financial responsibility it the workers don't understand what the landlord wants done because you haven't communicated it well?

No, you can not deny the landlord entrance unless you have an extremely good reason. The landlord gives you a 24 hour notice and in he comes. You can request a rescheduling only if it is a major inconvenience, like the landlord wants to come in and replace the toilet at the same time as you are throwing a 50th wedding anniversary party for your parents, and there is a limit to how many times you can use that excuse. Time has to be reasonable and a judge is going to consider anything after 7-8 AM and before 8 PM to be reasonable working hours. Your landlord can't give you a 24 hour notice that he will be there at midnight.

If you have a very ill child and it is not an emergency repair you can ask the landlord to reschedule, and I'm not talking about a kid with a cold.

You can not deny entrance just because you don't want to be bothered.

If you've got something major going on, the best way to deal with that is to call the landlord and explain the situation and ask for a rescheduling. It won't work to tell the landlord he can't come in because you don't want him in your house.

Also, you might want to consider trying to be a little more cooperative if you hope to stay there. If you cause a lot of trouble over the renovation, your landlord might decide that he can do without all the extra drama. Renting is much more pleasant if everyone makes a little effort to get along.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
The landlord or their agent is allowed to enter with notice. It doesn't say "owner" although they may be one and the same.
You sound like a tenant that is trying to bevdifficult.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
When you rent, these are the things you have to deal with. Stop being so difficult.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
I am a landlord -- for decades now. I would never allow a worker to enter one of my properties unless the tenant, I, or my agent (who is my adult child) accompanied that worker. This is for everyone's protection, especially the worker who might be wrongly accused of damage or theft.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Only over time will the OP realize the complaints listed against the landlord would fall on deaf ears. Giving notice does not mean the right to deny, unless at an unreasonable hour. During the business day is generally not considered unreasonable.

Chances are, like anywhere else, the OP's hometown does not have a vast collection of empty rental units (there's a shortage nationwide on rental properties). Time to find another landlord, or possibly buy. You won't have complete control until you own.

Last edited by SmartMoney; 04-13-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 07:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
When tenants and landlords have issues between each other or if the tenant is difficult, the landlord is more likely to require the tenant to move out as soon as the current lease expires, unless local rules don't allow this (such as rent control areas).

OP you might think about whether you want to be packing up and moving to another rental because your landlord decided not to renew your lease because you were being a pain in the neck to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting