Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,020,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when is complying with TOS an excuse?
What TOS? Where?

EXCUSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Oh dear, eBay's software does not like low-resolution images, which is what i expect to get from a smartphone. But I guess it's better than nothing, so it will do.

One question, my room window is north-facing at a relatively high latitude. That sounds like a terrible location for using a smartphone mobile hotspot. Can I expect to enjoy good reception?
WRONG! Smartphone cams are more than enough. I guarantee it's what most sellers use in 2016.

I betcha you get reception just fine. Won't know unless you try...which of course you WON'T.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.....

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
??? Stash has substantial value to a knowledgeable and non-lazy seller with NORMAL internet access, which is most of the rest of the eBay sellers.
Exactly, but in YOUR hands, they're worth $$ZERO.

Next...

Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,208,310 times
Quote:
When you post your listings to eBay, does their ZOOM feature work on their listings? Low-resolution zoomless images of text pages - like contents pages and covers - are unreadable and bidders complain (and if they bid their bids are lower). But it's worth a try.
I also sell on eBay:

Quote:
To make sure buyers get a good look at the item they're thinking about purchasing:

Try to use a photo that is at least 1600 pixels on the longest side. However, we recommend you don't enlarge smaller images to make them 1600 pixels. The photos you use must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side.

You can upload photos in these file formats:
JPEG (.jpg file extension)
PNG (.png file extension)
TIFF (.tif file extension)
BMP (.bmp file extension)
GIF (.gif file extension)

If your photo is in JPEG format, it should have a quality of 90 or higher on the 0-99 JPEG quality scale. We then optimize it for display in your listing.
eBay Photo Requirements | eBay Seller Center

You don't have to show the T&A - I did a quick search on eBay for "Playboy magazines" and some are sealed in plastic. Some sellers, when it comes to the centerfold.... all you see is her face. Other sellers have strategically placed black out bars in certain places.

Aren't collectors more concerned about the condition of the magazine than a free peek at the goodies/text anyway?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,000,021 times
My smartphone takes excellent pictures. Way better than the pictures that I get with either of my digital cameras.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 AM

58 posts, read 51,885 times
Quote:
When you post your listings to eBay, does their ZOOM feature work on their listings? Low-resolution zoomless images of text pages - like contents pages and covers - are unreadable and bidders complain (and if they bid their bids are lower). But it's worth a try.
YES, the Zoom feature does work. As noted in my post, I've had no complaints from customers.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:52 AM

2,558 posts, read 6,466,097 times
How is this thread still alive? LoL

Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,900,774 times
Quote:
What does motivation have to do with it? If my lame internet access does not allow me to sell it, how does motivation change that?
When you're not motivated to get better internet access, it has everything to do with it.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,900,774 times
Quote:
Oh dear, eBay's software does not like low-resolution images, which is what i expect to get from a smartphone. But I guess it's better than nothing, so it will do.

One question, my room window is north-facing at a relatively high latitude. That sounds like a terrible location for using a smartphone mobile hotspot. Can I expect to enjoy good reception?
What? Why would you assume that? My smartphone takes high res photos, at the same res as my digital high-end camera.

Oops, more excuses. Now the direction of your window is holding you back?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Adjust your expectations. Most smartphones these days have excellent cameras, as good or better than the typical point-and-shoot camera. You'd need to use a DSLR to take higher-resolution photos than you can get from a smartphone. Low resolution images will not be a problem!
Indeed. I'm a long term eBay seller and have had no issues using my ancient LG G2 to take photos for my listings. I currently have a used Coach handbag up for sale, my third designer purse I've listed in two weeks. All three have sold on the first try with multiple bids, and there's no crowd that's a tougher sell than picky ladies looking for designer handbags on the cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting