Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Small leak, is any of your stuff damaged and do you have renters insurance? How does the leak impair your use of the premises? Do you honestly think that small impairment is worth $200-300?

You said you have to keep a bowl next to your bed so it sounds very minor. If there was damage to your belongings then you file a claim with your renters insurance. The unit is very likely still habitable so good luck breaking the lease or getting your rent reduced, especially if the LL is looking at a costly repair.
Sorry not minor IMO. If I'm paying rent and have a bowl next to my bed, ridiculous! It could become far worse very quickly. Water could be pooling in the ceiling and cave in on top of the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Smile well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c47v3770 View Post
I rent and live in a town house in Houston with two roommates.

About two months ago, my bedroom ceiling started to leak. It now leaks every time it rains hard and water accumulates in the balcony.
The property manager said the leak is caused by a construction flaw and the repair is extensive and will cost around 40K.
Apparently the HOA is involved also because it's also happening to the units next to us.

Right now, I'm the only one affected by this problem. If the owner decides to do the repair before our lease ends (July 31st), everyone will be affected.
I haven't talked to the owner directly but according to the property manager, he's waiting on other/cheaper contractor bids.

What are my options? We all signed a single lease. I could ask for rent offset but that won't eliminate the need for a 'water bowl' next to my bed.

Thanks for reading!
Maybe the owner will allow you to hold onto your rent until he finds a cheaper contractor, huh? Maybe you could figure out a way to politely ask this question...
Koale

Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry not minor IMO. If I'm paying rent and have a bowl next to my bed, ridiculous! It could become far worse very quickly. Water could be pooling in the ceiling and cave in on top of the bed.
I agree. It could be a health issue to have outside water coming into the living quarters, even going into a bucket. Could be bird droppings, pollen, mold and mildew mixed in with the water because the water first collects on the balcony. Anything that fell on the balcony is coming into the bedroom.

I bet the county health department could cite health code regulations that aren't being met.

Never mind the tripping hazard of a bucket left on the floor. I broke a bone in my foot many years ago from tripping on a bucket that I left on the floor after washing my car.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 24,673 times
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm not looking to break the lease since it expires on July 31st. I covered the balcony floor with a tarp and that has helped a lot so far. So I rather not complicate things and instead, deal with this situation until move-out time.

Last I heard, the landlord received another bid from a contractor. Not sure what he plans on doing next. If he were to being repairs before we move out (I doubt it) then yes, the leak would certainly impair the use of the premises. My bedroom is under one of the balconies and both balconies would be tore down. The repair would take more than a few days.

I'm still going to ask for rent offset. Even if it's $100. It's worth a shot. I'm assuming I should ask in writing?
The request would have to go through the property manager first since I don't have the LL's contact info.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2016, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 24,673 times
I just read the last 3 posts in the 2nd page from veuvegirl, Koale and sware2cod..

I'm keeping an eye out for mold. If mold starts to grow, it will change my whole approach to this situation.

Like I said, the tarp has helped a lot but I wish the property manager would've put more effort into fixing the issue...at least temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting