Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 486 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to help my former roommate find a roommate to replace my spot in the apartment. It has been 61 days now since my first set of ads online and facebook post. I moved away to CA and still paid rent but now I have to afford my own rent where I live in CA. He has a lease that is another year longer since he signed for 2 years. I came on after he signed for 2 years but was added to the lease and he's saying I'm liable for payment until the lease ends. He's also being picky about who's going to potentially move with him.

I cannot vet anyone that's going to live with him since this is in Arlington, VA and he's claiming I'm not putting in the effort to help him find someone and that he's helping me by adjusting his weekends to let people come by the place and visit. At this point, I'm just ticked off and offered to break the lease and pay half of my portion for up to two months, which is stipulated in our lease. However, he's trying to say I'll be liable for all lease break fees instead of half even though we're both on it.

He's also trying to charge me for his cable bill he uses which is in his name and he has every package that I never asked for, as well as other utilities.

What is my angle here now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,083,158 times
Seek the guidance of an attorney for any legal steps you need to take.
No one on this forum can or will give you legal advice and be sure to take a copy of the lease you signed so the attorney
can read it.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,580,345 times
When you say you were added to the lease....in what way? The actual lease the landlord and your friend signed? And then the landlord met you, checked your references/credit, approved you and added you to that lease?

Or is this a makeshift/hope it sticks version your friend did and the landlord was never informed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting