Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

Suggest to the landlord that he put a soft door closer on her door and then she won't be able to slam the door. it won't solve your grievance with each other, but it will stop the door slamming. No guarantee about whatever else she might take up when the door will not slam any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 12:21 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Does she work at night and sleep during the day? Maybe the dogs wake her up so she's waking you up on purpose. Basically, dogs left alone in apartments all day are going to bark. Poor things are lonely and bored.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Does she work at night and sleep during the day? Maybe the dogs wake her up so she's waking you up on purpose. Basically, dogs left alone in apartments all day are going to bark. Poor things are lonely and bored.
not all dogs bark when left alone. Mine doesn't and he's far from 'lonely' or bored. The OP has more than one dog so you can throw 'lonely' out the window.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 25,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Suggest to the landlord that he put a soft door closer on her door and then she won't be able to slam the door. it won't solve your grievance with each other, but it will stop the door slamming. No guarantee about whatever else she might take up when the door will not slam any more.
That sounds like a great suggestions thanks. If she were to try and remove it, then it would clearly imply she's doing it on purpose if that isn't obvious already. And you're right, she very well might try something else instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yes, she does have a work at night schedule and probably does sleep during the day. The day she complained about two months ago she said she was in a bad mood, heard them, and complained. This was during the day and she was justified in doing so. But her actions since then, looking down on the floor when we walk by her, her walking around the entire building to get her mail instead of walking by our door, her peeling our of her parking spot and doing 50 mph down the alley after she saw me, and now topped off with slamming the door while we're asleep, we find to be immature. And now it's affecting our daily lives and we're tired at work. So it's become too much to bear and we need it to stop.

As for our dogs, since then our dogs had been cared for by my GFs mom for the first 5 weeks while we're at work. After that, for the last 3 weeks, she has been with them but tapering off. Arrives 2 then 3 hours after leave and sometimes in between. They've been adjusting well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
not all dogs bark when left alone. Mine doesn't and he's far from 'lonely' or bored. The OP has more than one dog so you can throw 'lonely' out the window.
You're right, not all of them do. Our dogs have each other but we think it's the adjustment period to a new place that's causing them to bark, or at least initially. We've implemented music, white noise, pheromone spray, and exercise them before we go to work and it seems to be working. They may bark when someone opens the hallway door or when they hear loud noises, that lasts from a few seconds to under a minute but we consider that natural.

If you have any suggestions, we would surely welcome them.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,814 times
3 dogs in an apartment. The LL is the one who is nuts.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,316 times
Your dogs started the problem ...

What makes you think you are some special 'snow flake' that deserves special treatment or consideration ?

You moved in and YOUR animals began disrupting the life liberty and pursuit of happiness of all other tenants within ear shot of your unit.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
I love reading all these apartment complaints because i can relate because i've been a renter for over 20 years. But asking or complaining about things does nothing because there is no solution but to own your own home which i'm in the process of. No more putting up with the hell of apartment renting. Moving to another apartment does nothing either it's just the same issues and if not it's other issues. Owning your own home with plenty of buffer on all sides will get you peace for the most part most of the time. Not only peace but freedom and many other benefits.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 25,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Your dogs started the problem ...

What makes you think you are some special 'snow flake' that deserves special treatment or consideration ?

You moved in and YOUR animals began disrupting the life liberty and pursuit of happiness of all other tenants within ear shot of your unit.
You're right. Our dogs started it and now we're addressing it and has gotten to the point where soon it won't be an issue.

Now someone is disrupting our lives and on purpose and at the most inconvenient of times, at night.

I didn't say we deserve special treatment nor anything of that sort. We're asking for the same thing that the people that complained about our dogs want, which is not to be disrupted. Not special treatment, the same treatment.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I love reading all these apartment complaints because i can relate because i've been a renter for over 20 years. But asking or complaining about things does nothing because there is no solution but to own your own home which i'm in the process of. No more putting up with the hell of apartment renting. Moving to another apartment does nothing either it's just the same issues and if not it's other issues. Owning your own home with plenty of buffer on all sides will get you peace for the most part most of the time. Not only peace but freedom and many other benefits.
This is all true, but not everyone can afford to buy.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Does she work at night? Maybe the dogs were disturbing her sleep during the day. That would drive me insane. People need sleep. Dogs are usually not allowed in apartments. I live in a neighborhood with small yards and we got rid of our barking shepard. Now we have a new neighbor with a loud dog. Thank goodness they started putting it in the garage at night and part of the day. It was barking at me, a neighbor, in my own back yard. Annoying!

You seem to be thinking this woman should be your friend or something. I try not to be too friendly with neighbors. They start butting into your business if you do. She doesn't owe you her friendship. I'd apologize about the dog and ask if everything is going okay. Some other neighbor might be complaining now. If she isn't you may have to find out who is. The dogs just wanna play and stuff. Leaving them cooped up in an apartment is tough.

Have you considering giving one or more of them away? Or renting a small home instead of an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting