Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:13 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the thoughts. Will see what the owner says today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:02 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
AADAD, the problem I have with hiring movers is I don't want the responsibility of your stuff on my side of the equation. I know movers are liable for their own actions but, at most, I would reimburse your costs for moving. In other words, I would not want to be involved in selecting or hiring the movers at all. I will not even recommend one.

But, how carpet installation works for existing tenants is the landlord will give notice that the rooms to be carpeted must be clear on a certain date.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Heard back. They will install the carpet and pay for movers. My co pay is $75.00 for moving things. I will assist with smaller items. They move the larger items out and back in. Doing three bedrooms/closets one day and the living area two days later. Very reasonable on the part of the LL.Very reasonable really I think.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
My very good floor covering installer no longer move furniture... simply will not do it.

As a result I almost never replace carpet during a tenancy... like once in the last 20 years.

If you are correct that the carpet would need to be replaced to re-rent... this is exactly the time I would do it... just before the new tenant moves in...

New carpet once installed is used carpet.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Heard back. They will install the carpet and pay for movers. My co pay is $75.00 for moving things. I will assist with smaller items. They move the larger items out and back in. Doing three bedrooms/closets one day and the living area two days later. Very reasonable on the part of the LL.Very reasonable really I think.
you have a great landlord, make sure you send them a thank you letter and some flowers after that!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Holy cow you have quite reasonable landlords! Seriously.

When I moved into my rental home, I was told the blinds would be replaced due to missing slats, some slats being held on by tape and whatnot. Never happened. I was told the lock on the rear sliding door would be installed (the original lock was broken when the house was broken into long before I moved in). Never happened. I had to buy one and install it myself. I was told the broken screens on the windows I had were going to be replaced upon move in. Never happened. Two months ago the handle on our microwave broke. Yes, the property manager sent out a repairman, the repairman said he would need to order the part. It's been two months, and nothing. The property manager? Won't even return an email regarding the microwave handle. Despite all of the lies my property manager (also the landlord), they planted a tree after we moved in and told us it is now our responsibility to water and trim it. I had to install a drip line myself, out of my own pocket.

So, I think you lucked out on finding a fantastic landlord. Wish we had one that was half as caring as yours.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Holy cow you have quite reasonable landlords! Seriously.

When I moved into my rental home, I was told the blinds would be replaced due to missing slats, some slats being held on by tape and whatnot. Never happened. I was told the lock on the rear sliding door would be installed (the original lock was broken when the house was broken into long before I moved in). Never happened. I had to buy one and install it myself. I was told the broken screens on the windows I had were going to be replaced upon move in. Never happened. Two months ago the handle on our microwave broke. Yes, the property manager sent out a repairman, the repairman said he would need to order the part. It's been two months, and nothing. The property manager? Won't even return an email regarding the microwave handle. Despite all of the lies my property manager (also the landlord), they planted a tree after we moved in and told us it is now our responsibility to water and trim it. I had to install a drip line myself, out of my own pocket.

So, I think you lucked out on finding a fantastic landlord. Wish we had one that was half as caring as yours.
sounds like the place I'm in. We toured it the first day it was on the market, pointed out all the broken and damaged things. They pointed to some tools that were on the floor and told me "we have people here fixing it up, that will all be fixed and it will be painted when you move in". We signed the lease that day.

I'm pretty sure the minute we signed they called the workers and told them to go home.

On move in I submitted 5 pages of problems, mostly things that were promised to be fixed. They sent someone over to replace the toilet seat and that was that.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
That 5 page list may prove very valuable at move out...

Real Estate is one area where it is all about negotiation subject to legal requirements.

Things important to one maybe of little consequence to others.

From Day 1 I always have always provided an Inventory and Condition addendum to my rental agreements... it keeps things professional and there is no way I could remember it all anyway without having it in writing.

The first 3 to 7 days is when, if any, other conditions conditions/problems occur for the most part.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
sounds like the place I'm in. We toured it the first day it was on the market, pointed out all the broken and damaged things. They pointed to some tools that were on the floor and told me "we have people here fixing it up, that will all be fixed and it will be painted when you move in". We signed the lease that day.

I'm pretty sure the minute we signed they called the workers and told them to go home.

On move in I submitted 5 pages of problems, mostly things that were promised to be fixed. They sent someone over to replace the toilet seat and that was that.
Yup. We had, I think, like 4 pages of broken and damaged items in our move-in checklist they gave us. At first, they gave us a two pager checklist and 72 hours to complete. We ended up needing an additional 24 hours and 2 pages added onto it due to all the problems. I had a feeling i should have kept on looking for a rental when I seen this place, but because it was in a good neighborhood and the right price, plus the property manager kept insisting on these things being fixed on or around the move-in date, I signed the lease.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That's more than fair. You have a good LL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting