Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Help!

I am currently renting a home that has a huge mouse infestation. When I moved in the house it had been sitting empty for several months. At first we seen a few mice so we set traps and assumed that it would solve our problems. Since our move in date the problem has only gotten worse. We have caught over 15 total, 8 of which we caught all in one night a live trap ands that is not including the dead ones we have found. We have put out posion and have plugged every hole we have found with absolutely no change. I recently just discovered they are chewing holes threw the padding in my couch that is less than a year old and have in the past gotten into my sons dresser and chewed up his clothes. They are everywhere! I keep a clean house floors always vacuumed table wiped down and all food sealed and put away. I also realized recently when my 1 yr old knocked over the vacuum that they are climbing up into it. I have seen them in my sons crib and climbing up my curatins. I need help. I have mentioned the problem to my l0andlord and have asked that the basement garage door be fixed because I am certain that is some of the problem. The door is completely rotted at the bottom and it does not seal properly and my landlords are not rrslly wanting to fix it. Can I get out of my lease early due to this being such an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,650,667 times
Make sure you put all of your requests in writing to your landlord to get rid of the mice and then follow the info below. Make sure to also click the links within the paragraph below to find out which situations constitute 'implied warranty of habitability' and which situations allow you the 'right to withhold rent or to "repair and deduct" and/or break your lease:

Top 8 Landlord Legal Responsibilities in Missouri | Nolo.com - #4 in the link states:
Landlords are legally required to keep rental premises livable in Missouri, under a legal doctrine called the “implied warranty of habitability.” If you don’t take care of important repairs, such as a broken heater, tenants in Missouri may have several options, including the right to withhold rent or to “repair and deduct.”

Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,180,620 times
The garage door isn't your problem as it won't make the place uninhabitable. Focus your efforts on the rodent infestation that is your LLs responsibility. Find a letter that demands the landlord handle it or else you repair and deduct but you need to understand the process first. In this case a repair is calling an exterminator and you may have to vacate the premises, all of which is billed to the LL through rent reduction. If you do have to vacate to a hotel it needs to be of similar quality, don't go to the most expensive place around, and you bill the LL for the cost plus meals.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:56 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Call Vector control for your city. They will send someone out to place bait traps at little or no charge.

You won't get rid of mice using traps. Traps only get rid of the mice who come out into the open. You need to set bait stations out to poison them.

You have a child, so place the bait stations where your kid can't reach them. A child should not be able to get into a bait station, but everyone knows how difficult it is to actually make anything child-proof.

I doubt that the garage door is contributing to the mouse issue, but if it really bothers you, go down to teh big box store and buy the rubber gasket that goes on the bottom of a garage door. Close the door all the way. Place the gasket so it touches the ground and the door, then fasten it to the door with the hardware provided. They are under $20.

I prefer Tomcat brand bait blocks and you can buy the bait station to put them in.

I doubt that you can get out of the lease early, but ask your landlord. Don't be surprised if he says no.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM

3,366 posts, read 2,844,395 times
Get yourself a female cat. Problem solved.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Really wish people wouldn't say this, since not all cats are good mousers. I live in a good-sized house surrounded by fields and trees (mice love my neighborhood ). I have SEVEN cats and exactly ONE of them (a male, BTW) is GREAT at catching mice (and basically instantly killing them, although I don't think he means to). Two others are kind of interested when they see mice. The other four have ZERO interest and would not go after a mouse that was an inch away (two of the four would likely be scared and run away themselves).

OP, your LL should be doing something, given the severity of your problem. Call, and call, and call again.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,019,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Really wish people wouldn't say this, since not all cats are good mousers. I live in a good-sized house surrounded by fields and trees (mice love my neighborhood ). I have SEVEN cats and exactly ONE of them (a male, BTW) is GREAT at catching mice (and basically instantly killing them, although I don't think he means to). Two others are kind of interested when they see mice. The other four have ZERO interest and would not go after a mouse that was an inch away (two of the four would likely be scared and run away themselves).

OP, your LL should be doing something, given the severity of your problem. Call, and call, and call again.
Not only that the person may not like having pets so that suggestion may not always be the answer to mice. My mom was desperate and didn't know what to do about her mice problem and forced herself to become a person who likes cats. lol

Old 05-12-2016, 12:08 AM

10,009 posts, read 17,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Not only that the person may not like having pets so that suggestion may not always be the answer to mice. My mom was desperate and didn't know what to do about her mice problem and forced herself to become a person who likes cats. lol
Well, I love cats (and dogs, for that matter), but I don't EXPECT the cats to be good mousers. Again, some are, some aren't. I often see the suggestion "get a cat" when someone mentions a mouse problem. That suggestion makes me cringe ... get a cat if you want a sweet pet, NOT just if you have a mouse problem, because what will you do if you realize the cat is indifferent to mice (as many cats are)? Return the cat? I hope not!

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM

3,366 posts, read 2,844,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Even if your cat might not be interested in catching mice, mine isn't btw, I'm yet to see a mice daring to go where there's a cat's smell... Especially given how many other options a mice might have.

BTW, if your cat doesn't want to catch mice, he's just not hungry Limit his food portions and his interest will grow proportionally.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Yes, indeed. Unauthorized pet. That will make all problems go away because OP would be moving out after being evicted.

Cats can only kill what comes out in the open. If you see one mouse, there are 10 more inside the walls where the cat can't reach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting