Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,490 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to renting, I currently rent a room in a 4 bedroom home, going on my 3rd month, there are 2 other renters and the single owner. There was no lease or any agreements other than my rent cost util included, and that i could have guests,I pay on time, i am actually i would say the best tenant one could ask for, i'm quiet, i do all types of repairs and maint to the home, i have fixed the land lords car, motorcycle,etc. out of the goodness of my heart,in a round about way i am asked to do these things but never offered deduction from rent, now all she does is buy parts and basically expects me to fix it, i have no quams about any of this because i like to help people, my concern is that i have a gf that lives in ca. i spend 2 weekends there and and she was to spend 2 here. now my land lord tells me she is only allowed by law to be here max 1 weekend per month, mind you no lease, no verbal agreement stating how long guest can stay. at first she said it was not fair to the other renters whom never have guest nor are ever home except to sleep,i have offered money to my land lord for the time my gf stays which would only be fri sat and sun 2 weekends a month, she said we will see, bottom line is she has some reason not to want her here more than 1 weekend per month, i dont think this is fair, nor do i think there is a law stating a time limit on guest, especially when there is no lease or agreement. does anyone have any advice for me, i like it here and i like the people but i feel i am not being treated fair, especially when the others dont lift a finger to help maintain the home.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
It's more than fair. He can require no overnight or weekend guests are all, his place his rules. Now your option is not to help him.

Someone living in a makeshift boarding house should not have weekend visitors. Your other roommates do not want her there. She is using the bathroom, if it is shared and common areas and kitchen.

Again, one weekend is more than fair. You are only thinking of yourself.

I had to live in a similar situation but worse before I bought my home. 4/2 a married couple and 3 roommates. The couple rented it out and they had a homeless girl sleep on the couch a few nights, and had the man's kids sleep on the couch a few nights. It was awful.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
This more than fair and if I were you I'd tread lightly. You're likely considered to be a month to month tenant and could be on the street sooner than you think.

The issue with 'guests' is that they soon become 'non paying residents'.

Law has nothing to do with it, it's up to the landlord.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:25 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghijklmnop......... View Post
... mind you no lease, no verbal agreement ...
The above portion of your statement is all one needs to know. Of course it's not fair; this is by design. Without a lease, your entire stay there is a crap shoot. Move on.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Your landlord is telling you she doesn't want another (non-paying) tenant living there and using utilities half the month.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:54 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
There's no law, other than landlord (and your roommates) in this situation. I guess... you can go camping with your GF, visit her place more often, or you can stop by the landlord and offer to pay an extra $10 per extra visit (he/she might want more but it can be negotiated then).

Long distance relations don't work usually if lasts long.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghijklmnop......... View Post
Hi, I am new to renting, I currently rent a room in a 4 bedroom home, going on my 3rd month, there are 2 other renters and the single owner. There was no lease or any agreements other than my rent cost util included, and that i could have guests,I pay on time, i am actually i would say the best tenant one could ask for, i'm quiet, i do all types of repairs and maint to the home, i have fixed the land lords car, motorcycle,etc. out of the goodness of my heart,in a round about way i am asked to do these things but never offered deduction from rent, now all she does is buy parts and basically expects me to fix it, i have no quams about any of this because i like to help people, my concern is that i have a gf that lives in ca. i spend 2 weekends there and and she was to spend 2 here. now my land lord tells me she is only allowed by law to be here max 1 weekend per month, mind you no lease, no verbal agreement stating how long guest can stay. at first she said it was not fair to the other renters whom never have guest nor are ever home except to sleep,i have offered money to my land lord for the time my gf stays which would only be fri sat and sun 2 weekends a month, she said we will see, bottom line is she has some reason not to want her here more than 1 weekend per month, i dont think this is fair, nor do i think there is a law stating a time limit on guest, especially when there is no lease or agreement. does anyone have any advice for me, i like it here and i like the people but i feel i am not being treated fair, especially when the others dont lift a finger to help maintain the home.

Thanks a bunch

"Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property, and in the end have nothing to show for it."

Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Your landlord is telling you she doesn't want another (non-paying) tenant living there and using utilities half the month.

That's not exactly true, the guy from whom I'm renting a room frequently has his adult daughter staying in the house for free, also there have been other freeloading guests in the house for days or a couple weeks at a time.

The angry drunk from whom I previously rented had his adult daughters and his on-and-off girlfriends in the house.

Both are happy to have THEIR OWN non-paying tenant(s) in the house.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Unfair - perhaps. You have no lease so you can do what and have her stay but be prepared for consequences. You might need to move sometime in the near future. If you are prepared for that then go ahead and ignore her although your GF might be massively uncomfortable.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property, and in the end have nothing to show for it."
Actually, renting is where one party agrees to pay for a product provided by another party, at an agreed upon amount.

I notice you always <cough> cut and paste <cough> "impaired. Why wouldn't it be impaired. Do you think renters should have all of the use of a property, with none of the responsibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting