Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, illegally. The HOA most certainly does have a right to 'fine' someone...read the by laws..it's in black and white. If you don't like HOAs dont' live in a community with an HOA. I prefer the HOA..keeps out the rif raf.
"Illegally" suggests some type of criminal activity or some type of conduct against the law. HOAs are private corporations - not governmental bodies. So the conduct you complain of is neither illegal nor unlawful. The people that claim they need an HOA to keep out "riffraff" typically are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 06:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
"Illegally" suggests some type of criminal activity or some type of conduct against the law. HOAs are private corporations - not governmental bodies. So the conduct you complain of is neither illegal nor unlawful. The people that claim they need an HOA to keep out "riffraff" typically are the problem.

Did you not see the " " around the word illegally? You're really going to argue over a word?? Really? Yes, they were "illegally" parked..it was against the by laws and clearly posted at the gate. Still the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

So now I'm a problem because I like having an HOA that has high standards for it's residents? Wow. That's priceless. If I wanted to live with hoodlums, I'd move to the hood, but I'd rather live within my social circle. If that's a problem for you, you need to get a life.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WHY? OP is perfectly capable of getting copy of the HOA Rules & Making sure they are followed to the T.

My take is the HOA is getting complaints about Bikes & they not being put away. Today I had to call my LL. Some kid who lives in another apt building in this complex decided to drop his bike in front of my car Blocking the sidewalk leading from my apt to the curb. So here I was Stuck until the bike was removed just so I could get out & go to the store! I have no idea what they did with the bike & Frankly don't give a D***

The landlord is required to provide a copy of the by laws to the tenant; not the HOA. The HOA will not engage with tenants; only owners.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The landlord is required to provide a copy of the by laws to the tenant; not the HOA. The HOA will not engage with tenants; only owners.
You mean the condo association - not "HOA".
All of which is fine since the tenant has no obligation to the condo association.
When the condo association takes property that does not belong to it with the intention of depriving the owner of possession - it is called theft.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Did you not see the " " around the word illegally? You're really going to argue over a word?? Really? Yes, they were "illegally" parked..it was against the by laws and clearly posted at the gate. Still the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.
When they take your condo perhaps someone else will be laughing.

Quote:
So now I'm a problem because I like having an HOA that has high standards for it's residents? Wow. That's priceless. If I wanted to live with hoodlums, I'd move to the hood, but I'd rather live within my social circle. If that's a problem for you, you need to get a life.
When your "social circle" approves of and engages in stealing other people's property you are one of the hoodlums.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Quote:
Sounds like the LL Sucks 1 not giving her the rules 2 maybe gave her part of the rules.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
When they take your condo perhaps someone else will be laughing.

I don't live in a condo so that won't be happening any time soon. I park in my designated parking spot and have guest passes for my guests so no towing here either. Good try though.

When your "social circle" approves of and engages in stealing other people's property you are one of the hoodlums.

It's not stealing when they are told repeatedly that they are in violation of the by laws and the consequence is removal. I'm talking about the parked car, not the bike, as I have no idea what the OPs by laws state.

As for me being a hoodlum, thanks for the laugh...it made my day!!!

I don't condone stealing, never said I did. But I believe in enforcing the rules and if the rules state you must have a guest pass, well by golly Beav, you better get yourself a guest pass.

Towing a car is NOT considered stealing when it's proven that the car was illegally parked..which is why the police won't get involved.

Why are you so bitter about HOAs? If you don't like them, don't live in a community that has one.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like the LL Sucks 1 not giving her the rules 2 maybe gave her part of the rules.
Suck or not, the OP needs to get her landlord involved in this so she can get some answers.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
It's not stealing when they are told repeatedly that they are in violation of the by laws and the consequence is removal. I'm talking about the parked car, not the bike, as I have no idea what the OPs by laws state.

As for me being a hoodlum, thanks for the laugh...it made my day!!!

I don't condone stealing, never said I did. But I believe in enforcing the rules and if the rules state you must have a guest pass, well by golly Beav, you better get yourself a guest pass.

Towing a car is NOT considered stealing when it's proven that the car was illegally parked..which is why the police won't get involved.

Why are you so bitter about HOAs? If you don't like them, don't live in a community that has one.
This isn't an HOA. This is a condo association and I (and the OP now) know better than to ever purchase a condo. Maybe you'll get an education on judicial foreclosure when your "social circle" collides with another. Then you'll find out how shallow your "social circle" is.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,861 times
Read the HOA rules, and then secure your bike inside at all times. You have room.
Leaving them outside invites criminal activity, which the HOA wouldn't like.
Also, outside bikes rust fast in Florida.

I wouldn't want my neighbors to display tempting loot to attract thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting