Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 576 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from California to Idaho and I thought I found an apartment in Idaho. I sent my deposit check overnight, we agreed to the move in amount I would pay, which was prorated for June then 6 months rent I would pay in full since I haven't established a job yet, although I have two job offers. Today, the apt complex sent me an email saying that I would have to pay an additional 975.00 deposit before moving in because of my credit. I do have a couple of items on my credit report, but no bk's, no utility companies, no evictions and I have and excellent rental history along with an excellent employment history.
Can they do this even though I already have a receipt from them stating the cost of move in that we originally agreed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 PM

55 posts, read 250,897 times
Rentals here may be a bit different from other States. I think that is is legal to do what they're doing, but perhaps not completely on the up and up. It seems that they would tell you your move in costs AFTER they've run your credit so that there are no surprises.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's a deposit. Pay your rent on time, don't damage the apartment, and you will get that back when you move out.

Take lots of photos before you move your furniture in and document any existing damage so that you don't get billed for it when you move out.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I'm an Idaho property manager.

I can say there is no limit on the amount of security deposit that can be charged here, so it is legal for them to charge you that amount. It is also legal for them to collect multiple months worth of rent up front (not legal in some other states).

But if you have a signed lease that states how much the deposit is, and they are wanting to change that after the fact, that definitely seems wrong. I don't know of a specific rental law against it, but it very possibly is against contract law.

If you don't have a signed lease yet, then everything is still negotiable, and either party can still change their mind. So if that is the case, and you aren't willing to pay the extra deposit, you can demand a full refund of anything you've already paid, and move on to another rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting