Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:50 PM

41 posts, read 46,599 times

Advertisements

I received this email today:

"When showing the apartment this past week it came to our attention that you need to take all the garbage out and clean the apartment. The conditon the apartment is in at this time attracts insects which can easily spread to other apartments. It is your responsilbility to take care of the apartment in such a manner to not attract bugs and vermin to the building. Garbage should be taken out on a regular basis and not left in the apartment. Surfaces need to be kept wiped down. We will be checking the apartment next week.

Thank you"

I'm a little annoyed by this because I think the PMC rep who showed my apartment was just annoyed that it wasn't spiffy for the showing (would have helped them out if they had told me earlier). My apartment isn't dirty at all. My garbage, which i had not taken out yet but planned on later, was full at the time when they showed it. It didn't even stink and I literally took it out that night. I also had piles of clothes on the floor in my bedroom (which, though super unorganized and an eyesore, is not "dirty" and does not attract vermin). This was temporary as I was organizing them for the summer.

I will clean and make my apartment "show-ready" for them next time, but just so we're clear, what legally constitutes as a "clean" vs "dirty" apartment? If I'm violating code by leaving days-old food out or unwashed dishes in the sink, or my garbage full for the entire week and not just the 15 minutes that they came and saw my garbage, I'd understand. But I wouldn't think anything that's simply aesthetically unappealing like clothes on the floor should matter? They mention surfaces should be wiped down in their email, but my tables and counters are clean, especially since I wiped them two days ago.

Thoughts? I'm open to all opinions, but please be respectful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,743,626 times
I'd just ignore it. Unless its in your lease that you keep that pristine (which i'd question the legality of it), they are not there to white glove your apartment. If you wanted to show the apartment naked, really you could.

But, i guess to not cause problems, just take the trash out before the showing or something. Don't worry about the clothes, they arent your mother.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I'd just ignore it. Unless its in your lease that you keep that pristine (which i'd question the legality of it), they are not there to white glove your apartment. If you wanted to show the apartment naked, really you could.

But, i guess to not cause problems, just take the trash out before the showing or something. Don't worry about the clothes, they arent your mother.
LOL Thanks. I just wish they would have said, "we would appreciate it if you made your apartment show-ready for potential renters" rather than trying to make it look like I'm violating the lease/building code by saying the condition attracts vermin. Reaches like that is where I put my guard up and start documenting and taking pictures of my place.

I sent this email

"Hello,

And thank you for your email. I apologize if my unit was not in ideal showing condition yesterday when you came as I've been really busy since the end of the school year. I will make sure my apartment is show ready for next time. Just so I'm clear on what is expected of me though, was there anything that specifically violated the lease or building code? My garbage has only been full for a couple days and since taken out."

Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 PM

525 posts, read 657,909 times
I wouldn't have been so nice. My house is currently in a less than "someone popping in unannounced" state, and sounds worse than yours. If you have already given notice, and are not understating the messiness. I would've ignore the email or replied back with "Notice is required for any entrance of the unit within (whatever time period is listed in your lease). Please make sure you abide by this requirement. The unit will be available for your inspection next week and my living habits, unless outside of code standards, are NUNYA."

Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
If you knew they were coming for a viewing, and I'm sure you did, why didn't you pick up your clothes, take out the trash and wipe down your counters?

Read your lease...I'm sure it mentions how they want their unit maintained.

Sounds like your idea of clean and their idea of clean aren't quite the same. When you move make you take pictures after you clean in case they claim you didn't.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,211,252 times
Open trash containers with any amount of food in them can attract bugs and rodents. They aren't wrong just clean up and move on with your life. Simple things really don't need you to waste time posting online about them.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you knew they were coming for a viewing, and I'm sure you did, why didn't you pick up your clothes, take out the trash and wipe down your counters?

Read your lease...I'm sure it mentions how they want their unit maintained.

Sounds like your idea of clean and their idea of clean aren't quite the same. When you move make you take pictures after you clean in case they claim you didn't.
Because I was busy and only given a days notice. My clothes being on the floor and a full trash bin that was seen after one short visit does not violate the lease nor building code so it isn't their business. This is overstepping boundaries and I'm sure they're just frustrated because they had to show my unit like that.

Haven't gotten a reply to my email from them about what specifically violated the lease or code yet, so I'm guessing they're in agreement.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:20 PM

439 posts, read 514,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soso694 View Post
I received this email today:

"When showing the apartment this past week it came to our attention that you need to take all the garbage out and clean the apartment. The conditon the apartment is in at this time attracts insects which can easily spread to other apartments. It is your responsilbility to take care of the apartment in such a manner to not attract bugs and vermin to the building. Garbage should be taken out on a regular basis and not left in the apartment. Surfaces need to be kept wiped down. We will be checking the apartment next week.

Thank you"

I'm a little annoyed by this because I think the PMC rep who showed my apartment was just annoyed that it wasn't spiffy for the showing (would have helped them out if they had told me earlier). My apartment isn't dirty at all. My garbage, which i had not taken out yet but planned on later, was full at the time when they showed it. It didn't even stink and I literally took it out that night. I also had piles of clothes on the floor in my bedroom (which, though super unorganized and an eyesore, is not "dirty" and does not attract vermin). This was temporary as I was organizing them for the summer.

I will clean and make my apartment "show-ready" for them next time, but just so we're clear, what legally constitutes as a "clean" vs "dirty" apartment? If I'm violating code by leaving days-old food out or unwashed dishes in the sink, or my garbage full for the entire week and not just the 15 minutes that they came and saw my garbage, I'd understand. But I wouldn't think anything that's simply aesthetically unappealing like clothes on the floor should matter? They mention surfaces should be wiped down in their email, but my tables and counters are clean, especially since I wiped them two days ago.

Thoughts? I'm open to all opinions, but please be respectful!
They are just upset...I am a "neat freak" but I think that *even I* could look past a messy apartment, if the price, location, other things were right for me.

They are upset person didn't want the apartment and are blaming you, I believe.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:31 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,191,951 times
Keep the clothes OFF the Floor... when they are due to come put them on your bed. Otherwise they can claim Fire code & Tripping hazards. Also take the Trash out or at least Close the lid or bag.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:37 PM

439 posts, read 514,912 times
My Landlord takes my trash out, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting