Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 PM

177 posts, read 422,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No it is not for *Legal Advice*, random strangers on a public forum can only provide an uninformed guess.
Any and all legal issues regarding renting and leases will have to be addressed by an attorney who has knowledge and experience with that type of situation.
Yeah I think that was already acknowledged up thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Did you pay a pet fee or a pet deposit? If you paid a refundable pet deposit, I can actually understand the Landlord using your pet deposit to apply toward sanitizing the home. If you paid a non-refundable pet fee, that is just what the LL should be using for such matters. However, your regular security deposit should not be applied for HVAC cleaning if you left the house in great condition. Can you go to your State's rental guidelines (perhaps thru the Attorney General website) to look at ways to dispute this fee?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post

If I were you I would begin to establish your paper trail of demand for your deposit and sue him for it if he charges you for duct cleaning, the expense should be on the incoming tenant if they want it to be that clean.
I have to agree with this.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Did you pay a pet fee or a pet deposit? If you paid a refundable pet deposit, I can actually understand the Landlord using your pet deposit to apply toward sanitizing the home. If you paid a non-refundable pet fee, that is just what the LL should be using for such matters. However, your regular security deposit should not be applied for HVAC cleaning if you left the house in great condition. Can you go to your State's rental guidelines (perhaps thru the Attorney General website) to look at ways to dispute this fee?
the security deposit can be used for anything, including pets/HVAC.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
This was from my regular security deposit. And he stated in text "But overall the house was left in good con
dition.and I appreciate that."

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
the security deposit can be used for anything, including pets/HVAC.
Well, sure it can be used for that however, my opinion is that it should not be used for the OP's situation. That is going above and beyond normal cleaning. More like sanitizing or hospital clean. The LL should never have allowed pets at all if this is how anal they are going to be. I can understand if there was damage from the cat peeing and soaking/staining the carpet or soaking through to subfloor but not to the extent of what this LL is doing.

And besides, the new tenant should have taken extra precautionary measures to make sure they rented an apt that was pet-free. If someone has issues that serious they should be adamant and proactive about making sure they find a pet-free (or at least cat-free) apt.

OP, (my opinion only), I would fight this if I were you. You could definitely fight it on your own without an attorney. First of all, you stated he hasn't even returned your deposit so look up your state's security deposit deadline for return. If he is beyond that deadline then I would send a simple demand letter giving him 10 days to return your full deposit because he has exceeded the deadline or you will see him in court. Send it certified/return receipt required. If he doesn't respond or does not send your deposit back (or at least an itemized list of damages) then I would sue him in court.

However, If he does send an itemized list with the damages for the extra cleaning of HVAC, etc to completely remove the cat smell, cleaning the ducts, etc., then I would send another demand letter stating you disagree with the deductions and why you disagree, and give him another 10 days to return your full deposit (or whatever the amount is for the extra duct cleaning, etc if there are other legitimate deductions) or you will sue him in court for the full deposit (or less the deductions you do legitimately owe).

Following the first option, or both if necessary, in the order listed should work. This is by no means legal advice, it is just would I would do if I were in this situation. But also make sure to read your state's security laws inside and out.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 06-06-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Well, sure it can be used for that however, my opinion is that it should not be used for the OP's situation. That is going above and beyond normal cleaning. More like sanitizing or hospital clean. The LL should never have allowed pets at all if this is how anal they are going to be. I can understand if there was damage from the cat peeing and soaking/staining the carpet or soaking through to subfloor but not to the extent of what this LL is doing.

And besides, the new tenant should have taken extra precautionary measures to make sure they rented an apt that was pet-free. If someone has issues that serious they should be adamant and proactive about making sure they find a pet-free (or at least cat-free) apt.

OP, (my opinion only), I would fight this if I were you. You could definitely fight it on your own without an attorney. First of all, you stated he hasn't even returned your deposit so look up your state's security deposit deadline for return. If he is beyond that deadline then I would send a simple demand letter giving him 10 days to return your full deposit because he has exceeded the deadline or you will see him in court. Send it certified/return receipt required. If he doesn't respond or does not send your deposit back (or at least an itemized list of damages) then I would sue him in court.

However, If he does send an itemized list with the damages for the extra cleaning of HVAC, etc to completely remove the cat smell, cleaning the ducts, etc., then I would send another demand letter stating you disagree with the deductions and why you disagree, and give him another 10 days to return your full deposit (or whatever the amount is for the extra duct cleaning, etc if there are other legitimate deductions) or you will sue him in court for the full deposit (or less the deductions you do legitimately owe).

Following the first option, or both if necessary, in the order listed should work. This is by no means legal advice, it is just would I would do if I were in this situation. But also make sure to read your state's security laws inside and out.
Thanks Corn-fused. That's all I was looking for was input like this. Not iron clad legal advice. I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrab View Post
Thanks Corn-fused. That's all I was looking for was input like this. Not iron clad legal advice. I appreciate it.

You're welcome. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
This is opinion, not legal advice.

In my opinion, you are not responsible for the next tenant's allergies. You are, however, responsible for cleaning up after your pet and if your cat left hair and dander in the ductwork and the ductwork was clean before you moved the cat in, then you can be charged with cleaning the duct work.

It would help your case if you have all the receipts showing you replaced the furnace filters every 30 days without fail like you should to keep the air going through the ducts as clean as possible.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I betting you check you State & Local LL & Tenant Laws .... Since the LL Failed to get the Deposit &/or Notify you .... Till you brought it up 6 Days Past the date You Win by default Full Deposit. So Check with Lawyers in your area... ASAP Proper Notification is Register Letter from the PO NOT E-mail or Text. [But don't delete them]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting