Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkt View Post
We have two kids and 3 dogs, so it's reasonable to assume we could have made a mess.

* cleaning of the oven (this is 100% legit, didn't even think of this)

Three dogs?
Shame on the landlord for allowing this if the landlord knew of the 3 dogs.

Opps. Forgot to clean the oven. So poster waited until vacancy to clean the oven? Says a lot about how clean the renter kept the place if they waited until end of tenancy to clean oven.

So the landlord took the security deposit and added $300.00 simply to be greedy. Doubt it. I'd guess that it was one p*ssed off landlord.

Some could easily reach the conclusion that there is more dirt to this story then mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
" The house was sparkling upon our move out."

Okay, I will give you that much however, I ignored it because the OP's list definitely negated that statement and proved that part wrong. The charge is still way too much IF what the OP stated is all true in the list of so-called damages and didn't leave any other facts/details out.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,710 times
looks like most landlord don't like to give the security deposit because I recall being billed for all types of things after just moved on with my life. They made it obvious they didn't want to give it to me so and just said whatever.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 PM

17 posts, read 13,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Three dogs?
Shame on the landlord for allowing this if the landlord knew of the 3 dogs.

Opps. Forgot to clean the oven. So poster waited until vacancy to clean the oven? Says a lot about how clean the renter kept the place if they waited until end of tenancy to clean oven.

So the landlord took the security deposit and added $300.00 simply to be greedy. Doubt it. I'd guess that it was one p*ssed off landlord.

Some could easily reach the conclusion that there is more dirt to this story then mentioned.
Really? I don't think I've ever cleaned an oven in my life. I guess it wasn't ever taught to me as a kid as being a normal everyday thing. We had so much packing to do that cleaning the oven definitely didn't cross my mind. That's a fair charge for her, IMO.

What else would you care to know? She knew of all our pets as it was a larger house, no carpet and a massive backyard. The dogs did minimal damage (listed below) and she is aware of all of it.

When I asked for an actual list of "repairs", she sent a letter with photos of dusty blinds, a dusty fan and a streaky window. Also a picture of the garage that looks more or less how we left it (and how it was upon move in) and a window latch with a screw missing. She also added in the photo of the mop water I didn't get to wash down that she said was fine.

I can understand her wanting to hire someone to make it perfect but for a move out, it was freakin nice. I mean really, dust on the blinds?

The cleaning portion of our bill from her tops $400.
I didn't explain that in detail. She added in the pet deposit a second time making it $600 instead of $300. She didn't even address that. Our entire deposit amounts to $900 so the extra $300 she claims as a pet deposit baffles me.

If you want all the dirt and think I'm oh so deceptive....
She's charging us for a few dog toys left in the backyard. Replacing some already ripped up linoleum that we made way worse (legit charge). Our dogs screwed up the blinds and screens and a part of weather stripping, so that's in there too, and completely understandable.

I was only here to ask what regular wear and tear may be considered as. And yes, to that other smart ass, dust was on many a list of legit wear and tear.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:13 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
Did you lanadlord give you a copy of the receipt/invoice charged by the maids and handymen she hired to clean and fix the issues listed? I don't see how those lists of cleaning issues (plus a missing screw) can cost $900 to clean and fix.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Okay, I will give you that much however, I ignored it because the OP's list definitely negated that statement and proved that part wrong. The charge is still way too much IF what the OP stated is all true in the list of so-called damages and didn't leave any other facts/details out.
Sparkling if you didn't look on top of two fans The dusty blinds were always behind curtains that I don't think ever opened. So, maybe sparkling is a bit much but, you could have eaten off the floor.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Did you lanadlord give you a copy of the receipt/invoice charged by the maids and handymen she hired to clean and fix the issues listed? I don't see how those lists of cleaning issues (plus a missing screw) can cost $900 to clean and fix.
She has not. I had to send her a letter just to get this much information. She had a copy of some kind of cleaning service receipt in the letter we got today. It has an amount and the company name. Nothing about handyman or yard cleanup, etc.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkt View Post
She has not. I had to send her a letter just to get this much information. She had a copy of some kind of cleaning service receipt in the letter we got today. It has an amount and the company name. Nothing about handyman or yard cleanup, etc.

First, did the LL happen to slip up on either of the following?

How many days has it been since you turned over the keys and surrendered the apt?

Florida in a nutshell - Upon the vacating of the premises for termination of the lease, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim on the security deposit, the landlord shall have 15 days to return the security deposit together with interest if otherwise required, or the landlord shall have 30 days to give the tenant written notice by certified mail to the tenant’s last known mailing address of his or her intention to impose a claim on the deposit and the reason for imposing the claim.
In most of 50 states if a landlord does not send an itemized statement and deposit balance to the tenant within 30 days of the date the rental agreement is terminated or the tenant moves out, whichever is later, the landlord forfeits all rights to any of the deposit and to take further legal action against the tenant in a court of a law. It really makes no difference how much damage there is if any. Even if there was $10,000 in damages, the landlord has lost his rights to suit you in court. Most Landlords don't even know this.
More here: http://securitydepositrefund.org/florida-renters-rights-law.html

Did the LL notify you within 30 days after paying the security deposit where the security deposit was going to be held?

83.49 Deposit money or advance rent; duty of landlord and tenant.
Read here: Security Deposit Refund Florida Renters Rights Law

And don't forget. You only have 15 days from the date you received the itemized list of deductions to challenge it. (Also stated in the above link)

Last edited by Corn-fused; 06-11-2016 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Dirt is not wear and tear, pick a different pony here because this ones a loser. Your issue is how much it cost to repair all the items listed, you owe for the mess but that seems excessive since I can have a full deep clean including carpets for about $600. Unless any of the damage was specifically pet related then that $300 non-refundable fee doesn't mean anything here. It doesn't need to be applied to any non-pet items.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
When I applied to transfer to a different apartment in the same complex the office gave me two pages of items to take care of before their move-out walk through. I adhered to all of them and when the manager did the walk through she asked, "How long have you lived in this apartment?" When I replied, "Twelve years" she was shocked and said the placed looked brand new and she wasn't able to find anything that needed repairing and that it was exceptionally clean. They did replace the carpet at their expense since it was over eight years old (their policy).

After any tenant vacates, the office has a professional cleaning crew perform a deep clean.

When I moved into the new apartment it was not clean. The worse was the mini blinds in the bedroom - they were coated with nicotine and very dirty and dusty. The ceiling fan blades in the living room were coated with a layer of dust. The vertical blinds in the living room were filthy.

I expressed my disappointment to the manager and those items were rectified the same day.

Too often it can be a double standard, as it was in my case; however, thankfully it was resolved quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting