Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 1,434 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My question is: What resources have you used to measure commute times before moving? This can apply to renting an apartment or moving to a new home.

Situation: I am looking for a new apartment, but I am open to the neighborhood I move to. One of my biggest concerns is commute time between work and home. I know these times can be highly variable, depending on time of day, day of week, the alignment of the stars, etc

What research have you yourselves done? What did you use? Were you satisfied with the results?

I’ve searched myself, but I can’t find anything that allows me measure commute time between two points over a period of time.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-28-2016 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: You'll have to copy and paste the URL above. I joined yesterday, so apparently I can't add links yet on city-data. :(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
if you go to google at those times of the day, it seems to update with traffic, or maps on iphone does the same.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
if you go to google at those times of the day, it seems to update with traffic, or maps on iphone does the same.
You can alter the time of day to see normal or average commute times at specific hours.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,434 times
Thanks for the responses.

@rezfreak The problem is that, what if I want to know multiple times for multiple locations Monday through Friday?

I tried to do this just for one location, and I always either forgot or was busy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know I can do this manually, but I was hoping for something more automated.

@Mr_Geek The issue I have with that is the times are always ranged and not always accurate. For example, with my old commute, it says that it would take me be between 45 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes to get home on a Wednesday night. However, I often made that trip in 30 or 35 minutes.

I know Google probably has the best info, but I was hoping for something that would show me accurate times over a period of time.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Google search results. See if any of these will suffice for what you are looking for:
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+cal...+commute+times

Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Test out the commute, google is accurate but is not perfect. For instance, it handles public translate poorly; it throws me a subway station off because it doesn't know about the entrance to the next station that's right across from the northside entrance of the building I work in. It also doesn't take into account elevator waits or, if you drive, the time it might take to find a parking spot.

Ultimately despite its pitfalls, it's around 5-10 mins off for me from the door of my apartment to the door to my office. Not substantial given that my commute is generally 20-25 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting