Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 7,106 times

Advertisements

My apartment has placed a rather ugly 6x9 inch sign on the inside of my door. It states:

Before You Leave...

- Please ensure the stove and oven are turned off. Never walk away while food is cooking.
- Please properly extinguish all smoking materials, candles, and incense.
- Please keep your smoke detector intact and notify us promptly if it requires service.
- Please unplug all small appliances such as curling irons, heating pads, coffee pots, clothes irons, etc.

Thank You For Being A Good Neighbor

I have been told that I must leave it up. This is an over-reach invading my private personal space in my opinion. I am an adult. This is not government housing or assisted living. I do not need instructions in my own home. Can they force me to keep a sign up inside the apartment? This sign serves no purpose at all other then to annoy the crap out of me. Nobody is going to stop to read a sign when they exit the apartment.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM

I suppose I should add that this is not in retaliation to anything I have done. I was told that they are required on all of their properties, in all units. Not a law, but the management companies policy. I don't believe a management company should be able to tell their residents that they must keep a sign inside their apartments though. I can see requiring something like fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, but not useless signs.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:58 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
It's good advice but terrible psychology. Rents might be lower because of it.

Removing it might be a mistake. But covering it should be fine.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Can you cover it with a picture or something? It is really intrusive, I agree.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:16 PM

It's kind of hard to cover as it's on the side of the door. I have placed a hook above it and put a sweat shirt on it most of the time, but I can't cover it all due to where it is located. If it were on the wall I would put a picture over it, however on the door I don't think a picture would work well. I will keep it covered the best I can, but it still bothers me. I really didn't think somebody could force you to keep a sign up in your home. Maybe it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I am a Libertarian so power over-reach with things that don't make any sense to me tend to get on my nerves. I am considering getting a petition together with other tenants that may feel the same way.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Poster and tape.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Your complex has put these up because there are a lot of stupid people in this world who do those things and end up causing a lot of damage.

Is it ugly? Yeah, it's ugly, but its there for a reason. If they say you have to have it on the door, then you have to have it on the door. Go ahead and get a petition, but it won't do any good and you'll end up more stressed and frustrated than you are now.

Pick your battles.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
What good will "being a libertarian" do you when your idiot neighbor falls asleep while frying fish when he gets off the night shift and burns the building down ???

When you live in other people's property, you deal with other people's policies. Not all policies are palatable.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Create your own poster and tape on top:

Before you leave:

Do you have all your keys with you?

Do you have your money & credit cards?

Don't forget to take your smile!

Have a fabulous time out in the world.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:43 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
It looks very Gestapo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting