Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
My wife and I are selling our home in Colorado and moving to Maui. We plan to rent for a year while we find a place to purchase. My wife flew to Maui Wednesday, looked at a condo with the property manager on Thursday and loved it. I filled out the rental application online Thursday night and paid a $30 fee. About 8 hours later the property is no longer available. Is it weird if I ask for my $30 back? It seems to me like they knew they already had a tenant lined up and just took my money.
This is very common practice in Hawaii. I speak from experience. What you paid was the application 'fee', check the application to see if it was 'refundable' or not. My guess it is not. We applied for a rental, on Maui, through a PM company...took them 5 days to process the $50.00 'application fee'. They denied us for a traffic ticket they found 17 years prior... I went into their office to investigate what all that nonsense was about and saw a shoebox on the desk of the agent that was labeled 'Rejected Applications'...you know that box was filled to the top w/$50.00 application fees...it is a good scam for them to make pocket change or lunch money for the office. You should look at private owners with properties to rent. Hawaii is a scam from start to finish...and there is no recourse. I hope you and your family find peace and happiness there.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:58 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Aaah, the old bait and switch. I've been there before.

Looked at an apartment and really liked it. We put in an application that day. The manager said the application will come back in a few days. I called back two days later and she said that my application was approved, but that another application had been put in a few hours before mine, and they had just put down a deposit. Needless to say I was mad and told her that we should have been told that someone else put in an app. Her only response was that there was another unit opening up in a month.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 AM

461 posts, read 666,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Aaah, the old bait and switch. I've been there before.

Looked at an apartment and really liked it. We put in an application that day. The manager said the application will come back in a few days. I called back two days later and she said that my application was approved, but that another application had been put in a few hours before mine, and they had just put down a deposit. Needless to say I was mad and told her that we should have been told that someone else put in an app. Her only response was that there was another unit opening up in a month.
An application with a deposit trumps someone who only submitted an application.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
An application with a deposit trumps someone who only submitted an application.
Yes, you're right. But why wasn't I told that someone else already put in an application on the apartment I was looking at?

There are some apartments that are even worse. They have you put in an application for a "1br" or "2br", but not on an actual unit. This was in Iowa City. I noped the heck out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting