Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,844 times

Advertisements

In April my tenant broke a shower knob, so I sent a handyman to replace it. However the tenant broke the shower knob again just about 3 months later. I was also led to believe that the broken shower handle was due to the tenant's carelessness, and so I notified him to repair it before he moves out, or I would deduct money from his security deposit. However, the tenant refused to repair the shower handle, claiming that it was due to normal wear and tear. I want to know that the broken shower knob is normal tear and wear. And can I deduct the money from the security deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 05:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
No, broken is not "wear and tear" and neither is dirt. Take it out of the deposit.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericck View Post
I was also led to believe that the broken shower handle was due to the tenant's carelessness,
And that statement came from whom and what are their qualifications to make that statement and will they be willing to appear in court and testify to the facts if the tenant sues you for a security deposit withholding violation? Exactly what is broken on the handle?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:38 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
No, broken is not "wear and tear" and neither is dirt. Take it out of the deposit.

FYI - things that break can definitely be due to normal wear and tear.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Damage is not wear and tear. A 3 month old repair shouldn't be worn out from use, either. Get it replaced and present him with the invoice. If he doesn't pay it, just save it until he moves out, give him another chance to pay and if he does not, take it out of his deposit.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericck View Post
In April my tenant broke a shower knob, so I sent a handyman to replace it.
The short answer is no.

Without further information this deduction if frivolous.

Do you have photographs of item? Before and after?
Do you have a receipt for the bill of the "handyman"?

Is this the only item that was broken/missing/damage for the entire tenancy of this renter?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Damage is not wear and tear. A 3 month old repair shouldn't be worn out from use, either. Get it replaced and present him with the invoice. If he doesn't pay it, just save it until he moves out, give him another chance to pay and if he does not, take it out of his deposit.
We use Danza faucets in all our units and even they will break. I can only imagine what some cheapo chrome colored plastic home improvement store generic discount shower handle will do. Things break even when brand new so unless it's clear that it's abused versus just didn't hold up, it's an absorbed cost of maintenance. I'm also curious how someone can determine carelessness on a broken shower knob.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
We use Danza faucets in all our units and even they will break. I can only imagine what some cheapo chrome colored plastic home improvement store generic discount shower handle will do. Things break even when brand new so unless it's clear that it's abused versus just didn't hold up, it's an absorbed cost of maintenance. I'm also curious how someone can determine carelessness on a broken shower knob.
i use moen shower valves & i've never had one get broken off, if i did - i'd cover the first one & any subsequent replacements would be on the tenant. If a tenant didn't like that, they could tell it to a judge.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:41 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Broke in 3 months so either you used cheap crap, didn't install it right, or the tenant was hanging off of it. They are made to take years of abuse from children so they don't break easily. I would see about a manufacturer warranty after only 3 months but I wouldn't charge the tenant, yet. If it happened again then it is on them and they are damaging the property in violation of their lease so eviction is an option.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:44 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I would have paid for the first one. The second one, so soon after replacement would probably be on the tenant.

However, it really depends upon what you mean by "broken". Was the actual knob snapped off? That's on the tenant's bill. Is it dripping? That's probably on the landlord's bill. If it is stripped out, that's the tenant for the second one but not the first one.

I know that most of the faucets are now made of plastic, but seriously, how do you snap off a shower handle? Was the tenant couple using it as gym equipment? I've had some tenants that were hard on a house, but no one has ever broken off a shower handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting