Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM

150 posts, read 152,876 times

Advertisements

End of lease
This is in NC, Landlord informed me that they do not extend my lease for another year. I have been paying my rents on time and never delayed. I do not have option to move out in two months, can I stay in and continue to pay rents? What options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
If the lease ends and they gave you proper notice per your states law, then no you cannot stay beyond your lease term without consequences. Expect to be evicted if you try staying against their wishes.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
No, you can not stay past the notice to leave, or you might very well end up being evicted, which will make your life very difficult in the future.

You paid rent on time, but it might very well have nothing to do with you at all. The landlord might need that apartment back for different reasons that have nothing to do with you, your rent, or your behavior.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:04 PM

195 posts, read 214,350 times
Nope! that is called "Holding over" and you can be evicted for holding over. It isn't your house, the owner has every right to non-renew your lease. You have 2 months to find another house. Who knows, you may like it even better!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:40 PM

150 posts, read 152,876 times
They did not give me proper notification yet, I just receive a text that they do not extend it. is this really a proper notification?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:55 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,650,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCD999 View Post
They did not give me proper notification yet, I just receive a text that they do not extend it. is this really a proper notification?

It all depends on what your lease states regarding renewal, if applicable. If it states it is a fixed term lease with no option for renewal then they do not need to give you notice. It just ends the last day of your lease term.

So, read your lease and post back exactly what it states regarding the lease term and whether there is an option for renewal and if so, what needs to be done.

And also what is your lease end date?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
How have you been communicating with them on other matters?
For some text is all they do.

Either way... HOW the message is delivered doesn't change the message.
And being picky about the particulars only delays the inevitable.

Start packing and start looking BEFORE the college kids come back.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,180,620 times
Quote:
Before last week I would have said no. I go sit in the court room here once in a while and last week I saw a judge rule that text is proper notice since the tenants sole means of communication with the LL was through text. This was a little more extreme where the LL had phone records where the tenant would ignore the call then immediately text them that they just missed him. While it is only a single judges ruling on a specific case it isn't the norm but I could easily see it become more acceptable as time goes on.

Edit to add that he doesn't have to prove he gave written notice in court, an eviction case most likely, all he has to do is say he mailed it to you.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I don't text notices, but you received the text, OP, and you admit that you received it, so you have been notified.

There are much better ways to give notices, but you did receive it and you do understand it. If you want to go to court about it, you will end up with an eviction filed against you on your legal record. Possibly a judge might rule that the notice was not legal and give you an additional 30 days (and no more than that). For your additional 30 days, you change your good landlord reference into a very bad landlord reference. It goes on your record that an eviction case was filed against you, and if your landlord is taking care of business properly, you will also end up with a judgement on your credit report. If any landlord looks at your record at the county, they will see that you have been involved in a lawsuit with a landlord while you tried to over-stay.

That's a very high cost for an additional 30 days in your apartment and then you still have to move anyway.

I suggest that you simply realize that you are going to be moving and start looking right now while your landlord will still tell your future landlord that you always pay your rent on time and have been a good tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting