Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas13 View Post
I don't know how I am making his life difficult If we are the ones doing the repairs and handling everything ourselves.. I just got back from tenant C his power goes out if he runs his AC and his microwave in his unit.. its over 120 F right now.. again the location is illegal how is this just over looked? ILLEGAL .. didn't know until we all moved in here..

we do not want to live here but we are stuck we are not of the finer people who have over 5k just chilling in the account to just move as we please.. we all work 40 hrs.. we are good citizens.. we aren't rich, but only in life itself.

and I would want to report them so others don't get locked into a situation and have to deal with these greedy f'ers...
how is it okay to have no stove no heater no working outlets ?? how is it ok and LEGAL with no smoke alarms and c02 alarms ?? the pipes are soo rusted they are swollen and flakey like a croissant ??? the water is over 600 tdm.. not drinkable!!!

just move and not care ?? I'm not the type to sweep it under the rug ... SORRY.. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL.. UNINHABITABLE IS JUST THAT !! they want to hide from gas company they even have these buildings back here ??? and they are not up to code?? yea none of my business...
None of that has anything to do with you, if I understand you right you are in the main home, but you don't seem to be getting that. Your unit is legal as it is the main house and assuming it was constructed legally at the time it was built. The other units once inspected will be deemed illegal and the tenants will be forced to vacate by the city. Once that happens then the LL can make a few minor changes and rent them out again.

Few states require AC and bug screens, for example AZ requires AC (because of our long periods of heat) but doesn't require bug screens on Windows unless there is a pool. There is nothing wrong with outlets being upsidedown as that doesn't change how they function at all; it is normal here when an outlet is on a switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 7,672 times
Main house
No smoke alarm. No Co2 . Garage broken.Swampier broken. Water pipes rusted so bad that I'll upload a pic and you'll throw up. Electrical wires ran rigged. If I use MY microwave and coffee maker.. Blows the fuse. . no blinds. No screens.

I don't want to stay ! We are trying to save to move !

Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 PM

How do I upload a picture a just took? Ughh

Old 07-28-2016, 03:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Main house
No smoke alarm. No Co2 . Garage broken.Swampier broken. Water pipes rusted so bad that I'll upload a pic and you'll throw up. Electrical wires ran rigged. If I use MY microwave and coffee maker.. Blows the fuse. . no blinds. No screens.

What did the place look like when you viewed BEFORE signing the lease? Many of these things you would've noticed during your initial walk thru...if you chose to ignore them, that's on you.

You can report to whomever you want and then prepare to move...if your unit is deemed uninhabitable, you will be forced to move. So, be proactive and starting the moving process. Those tenants in the illegal out buildings can file complaints on their own...if they so choose to.

Personally, 3 rented 'units' on an acre of land would've been enough for me to walk away. You're off in an extended stay hotel..they are dirt cheap

Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 PM

151 posts, read 189,802 times
Jesus christ. Report them and stop whining on here then.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Was asking if it was legal what they were running here MR KNOW IT ALL. Gee what a jerk.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Main house
No smoke alarm. No Co2 .
Habitability issue with a simple fix the city will allow the LL to correct it if inspected.

Quote:
Garage broken.
Not a habitability issue.

Quote:
Swampier Broken.
Like I said before unless your state requires it this is also not a habitability issue.

Quote:
Water pipes rusted so bad that I'll upload a pic and you'll throw up. Electrical wires ran rigged.
Is it causing a problem? Electrical that was installed decades ago had different standards than today and does not need to be brought up to code until a major renovation is done.

Quote:
If I use MY microwave and coffee maker.. Blows the fuse. .
That Can easily be considered normal as microwaves eat a LOT of power and should be on their own fuse. Countertop microwaves will almost always blow a fuse when other items run.

Quote:
no blinds. No screens.
Maybe an issue but maybe not it depends on what state law says. This is also something an inspector would give a LL time to correct if called out.

Quote:
Nothing you listed makes the place you are renting illegal. The other units are but that isn't your problem. Why did you move into it in the first place?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Was asking if it was legal what they were running here MR KNOW IT ALL. Gee what a jerk.
The bottom line is, as others have already addressed, whether it is found to be uninhabitable or an illegal rental that is not up to code, either way you are going to end up having to move.

Now, whether there is recourse in having to move, getting the repairs done while still living there, etc., the only way you are going to find out answers to your questions is to 1) research your state's warrant of habitability laws or 2) contact an attorney or some expert legal source in your area. You have lots of different complex issues going on and you need a legal source to pick them all apart and give you legal advice and guidance. No one here can do that for you nor are they allowed to provide actual legal advice.

You can start here: California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Contacted lawyer .

Ty!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Why did you move into it in the first place?
This.

If it has all these problems, why did you rent it to begin with? Presumably because it was cheaper than the other options, right? Well why do you think it was so cheap? Because apparently it isn't very nice. That's how a market system works: undesirable things are cheaper than more desirable versions of the same product.

You can rant and rave and complain until you are blue in the face, but that isn't going to make this into a luxury apartment. Your choices are to either decide the savings makes it worth living somewhere crummy or decide it's not worth it after all and move. There is no magical third option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting