Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,461 times

Advertisements

So the lease I signed originally set my start/move-in date on September 1st, but I got an email a few months later saying the unit would be available sooner in mid-August.
However, I got a copy of this new lease and

1) none of the rent is prorated, despite the new lease date starting mid-month
2) my name and my roommate's name were completely butchered (theirs isn't even capitalized! how?)

I don't remember signing this lease, and can't imagine how I would be able to since I was only in town for the original signing. I have a copy of the original, that has our correct names which I signed. However, my signature is on this new lease. I don't know if they scanned it on or what.

Any time I tried to talk to the leasing office on the phone they were extremely vague and unhelpful. Is this legal? Or will just hit dead ends trying to get my lease corrected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 05:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Not legal. But proving it is another matter. I'm assuming the signature is on the last page only? No initialing the pages/sections? Is the signature original? Have you given them any money? If they are this underhanded when they are starting a LL/tenant relationship imagine how they will be during and at the end.
If you haven't given them any money I would hold off gibing them ANYTHING until the correct lease (like the one you have) surfaces. If it doesn't I suggest you swim away

On a personal note
Wow it really stuns me how many underhanded people are out there. I seriously couldn't dream of doing some of the crap I read about. Who has the time to sit there and screw with a lease and why? For what? A few extra bucks? JC

Old 07-28-2016, 06:03 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
It's easy for a forensics person to tell if the signature is in ink or not. They do this kind of thing all the time.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Forgery...I would not trust them.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokkeke View Post
So the lease I signed originally set my start/move-in date on September 1st, but I got an email a few months later saying the unit would be available sooner in mid-August.
However, I got a copy of this new lease and

1) none of the rent is prorated, despite the new lease date starting mid-month
2) my name and my roommate's name were completely butchered (theirs isn't even capitalized! how?)

I don't remember signing this lease, and can't imagine how I would be able to since I was only in town for the original signing. I have a copy of the original, that has our correct names which I signed. However, my signature is on this new lease. I don't know if they scanned it on or what.

Any time I tried to talk to the leasing office on the phone they were extremely vague and unhelpful. Is this legal? Or will just hit dead ends trying to get my lease corrected?
If you have the original lease than it clearly is not legal per your phrases that you didn't sign the new version.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 PM

99 posts, read 89,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
It's easy for a forensics person to tell if the signature is in ink or not. They do this kind of thing all the time.
If this is true, and even if it's not, I think this definitely means that the OP should report this to the police because this is clearly a criminal action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting