Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,673 times

Advertisements

I live in San Diego, and it is common for my husband and I to occasionally walk around our apartment in the nude or a robe, and when we are on our balcony we either have robes on, or I will have shorts and a sports bra and him, minimum, shorts. We live on the second floor and usually have the curtains open as we like to have the natural light in the apartment (especially not to waste electricity). We have been doing this for the past 2 years without any complaint. Recently we received an email from our apartment manager stating we were not allowed to do this and we need to "dress more appropriately" asking us to "put more clothes on" or have our curtains closed at ALL times.

I understand that on the balcony there needs to be some sort of clothes on, but I am usually wearing more then people do at the pool (yes, there is one in my apartment building and have seen people walking around in a lot less then my sports bra and shorts). But can they really tell me how I need to dress INSIDE my own apartment? And, am I not wearing enough clothes on my balcony? Am I in the wrong here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
If your curtains are open and your nudity can be seen by others, that is a crime. Don't want to be accused of indecent exposure, do you? Obviously someone saw and complained.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If your curtains are open and your nudity can be seen by others, that is a crime. Don't want to be accused of indecent exposure, do you? Obviously someone saw and complained.
Isn't peeping into someone else's house a crime as well? If someone were to come to your home, looked into your windows (say you just got out of the shower or something), would that be indecent exposure?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesaraus View Post
Isn't peeping into someone else's house a crime as well? If someone were to come to your home, looked into your windows (say you just got out of the shower or something), would that be indecent exposure?
Do you know what peeping is? It isn't looking through a window that's wide open from a public space. Put some clothes on or shut your blinds if you don't mind to end up as a sex offender.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
Quote:
I live in San Diego, and it is common for my husband and I to occasionally walk around our apartment in the nude or a robe, and when we are on our balcony we either have robes on, or I will have shorts and a sports bra and him, minimum, shorts. We live on the second floor and usually have the curtains open as we like to have the natural light in the apartment (especially not to waste electricity). We have been doing this for the past 2 years without any complaint. Recently we received an email from our apartment manager stating we were not allowed to do this and we need to "dress more appropriately" asking us to "put more clothes on" or have our curtains closed at ALL times.

I understand that on the balcony there needs to be some sort of clothes on, but I am usually wearing more then people do at the pool (yes, there is one in my apartment building and have seen people walking around in a lot less then my sports bra and shorts). But can they really tell me how I need to dress INSIDE my own apartment? And, am I not wearing enough clothes on my balcony? Am I in the wrong here?
I like to walk around my house nekked as well, but I make sure my neighbors can't see- which means I close the blinds in the windows facing other people's yards/houses. Not because I really care if they see me (I don't consider the human body a shameful thing or obscene or whatever), but because I understand that some folks might not want to see it.

Your landlord isn't telling you how to dress, he's telling you to close your curtains if you're gonna walk around naked -or- put clothes on if you won't do that. It's not about what goes on INSIDE your house, it's what's visible OUTSIDE your house. And I can 100% guarantee he wouldn't have said anything if someone(s) hadn't complained multiple times- it's really, really not the sort of thing a landlord enjoys bringing up with people. Just think of it as a common courtesy, the same as not playing your music or TV so loud that your neighbors have to hear it.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I like to walk around my house nekked as well, but I make sure my neighbors can't see- which means I close the blinds in the windows facing other people's yards/houses. Not because I really care if they see me (I don't consider the human body a shameful thing or obscene or whatever), but because I understand that some folks might not want to see it.

Your landlord isn't telling you how to dress, he's telling you to close your curtains if you're gonna walk around naked -or- put clothes on if you won't do that. It's not about what goes on INSIDE your house, it's what's visible OUTSIDE your house. And I can 100% guarantee he wouldn't have said anything if someone(s) hadn't complained multiple times- it's really, really not the sort of thing a landlord enjoys bringing up with people. Just think of it as a common courtesy, the same as not playing your music or TV so loud that your neighbors have to hear it.
Yes, this.

Some apartment complexes are explicitly rented as "adults only." If not, the landlord doesn't want his property to get a reputation as "adults only."

Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Yes, if you left your curtains open so that you could be seen.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:01 PM

151 posts, read 189,654 times
I walk around naked in my home all I want. It is NOT illegal to be naked in your own home. Tell your psycho landlord to pound dirt.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
I walk around naked in my home all I want. It is NOT illegal to be naked in your own home. Tell your psycho landlord to pound dirt.
Maybe not, but if you're parading around in front of open windows in full view of your neighbors who may not *want* to see you naked, it absolutely is inconsiderate (and actually *might* be illegal to be doing it in public view). It's just like playing loud music that your neighbors don't want to hear or otherwise forcing your life into other people's space. Maybe it's legal, but it's still a jerk move. Especially after you're made aware of the fact that it's bothering other folks- because there's no way the landlord would say anything about it unless a neighbor (or two) complained.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
This thread has GOT to be a joke. I don't understand how anyone with a lick of sense would think it's okay to walk around naked with your blinds/curtains open so everyone can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting