Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times

Advertisements

Indeed, how much do they want? Let them give you a number. I've paid problem tenants who were actually paying rent (sort of) to move. I was nice as pie about it. Said I might be able to come up a few bucks to help them find another place. They were out in a matter of days. It's so much cheaper, cleaner, faster than the legal route. If you can pay to get rid of these bums, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
You are correct, the cops won't do anything with this sort of situation because it is a civil issue, not criminal, in the eye of the law. You have to go through the courts, and it can cost thousands. I would definitely require the seller to pay for that.

??? ??? ??? ???

Then how come the sheriff shows up when it's time to evict your tenant? That's also civil, not criminal.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:28 AM

472 posts, read 473,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ???

Then how come the sheriff shows up when it's time to evict your tenant? That's also civil, not criminal.
Because at that point they have a court order to remove them. The police enforce the law and the law (court order) is to remove them

Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
Because at that point they have a court order to remove them. The police enforce the law and the law (court order) is to remove them
^^ That

Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Ditto!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
^^ That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Ditto!
This, this, and that.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
I believe I'd go ahead and start demoing the house around them. They'll have to leave eventually.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralife View Post
I recently purchased a house with my family. My father went to the house the next day to find 2 guys living in the basement. The seller had told us that the house is vacant. After speaking to the 2 guys, they have been there since 2014, even showed us Optimum bills (we didn't identify if they were the actual person on the id). They said they will leave if we "pay them". Btw, the house is very run down, it needs gut renovation. After doing some online research, we find that getting rid of these squatters are harder than we thought. Our attorney said this is the previous sellers responsibility but I don't trust his decisions will be the best for my family. Any advices will be greatly appreciated.

....."the house is very run down. It needs gut renovation "......

If it is in as bad a shape as you say, have the city condemn the house.
Then you can start demolition and be doing the city a favor.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ???

It is pursuant to a Court Order and the Landlord pays for their time...

I will always attempt negotiation in good faith being pragmatic... it is simply the result of doing business in a strong rent control and pro tenant area.

Property owners tend to forget just how much damage disgruntled people can do in a short time...

Unless you are prepared to never leave the home vacant... and I have moved into rentals between tenancy it is best to have leave not holding a grudge.

This doesn't mean coddling... it means showing them how it is in their interest to do so...

I've evicted people and have them thank me after... they thanked me because I want them to have all their belongings and will do whatever I can to help with that... the last thing I want is for after hour break ins, storage and lien sales...

Old 08-04-2016, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 24,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How much do they want?

Sometimes you need to be pragmatic.

Had a similar situation except the seller really could not have known much... the 88 year old heir lived on the East Coast and the property is in Berkeley with strict rent control, etc...

My friend though someone was there but never saw anyone...

So the buyer ordered a dumpster and help to toss everything and find a squatter calls the police... said he was the caretaker and the deceased let him stay there... even had a handwritten note.

The short story is he was very worried about his possessions... we paid for one months storage and $500 and he was gone... actually the lawyer drafted the notarized letter for the $500

The alternative would have been costly and taken months...

You need to decide if you can strike a bargain or go the legal route...

In my case I say you are going... you can have an eviction on your record or I will give the you lawyer retainer fee if you leave... almost always they take the money... only once did the person wait to be forcibly evicted and then wanted the money the day the Sheriff was to show.

Thank you, that was some helpful insight. I do agree that we should bargain using the eviction record or lawyer fee method. This way it saves everyone the headache. Right now, the previous owner is working on paying these guys off. But the previous owner is about 70 years old so I worry that he might make another mistake. I suggested to him to have an agreement letter between them (so they can't come back later for more trouble).

Anyways, still waiting on the result, I hope to post better news soon.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting