Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 PM

46 posts, read 42,068 times

Advertisements

They're replies to my question??? I'm not on here responding to every one under the sun. Can I not reply to what people tell me?? Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
I understand they can actually travel between rooms in hotels and apartments.

Call the health dept.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Wait, you were upset they wouldn't come treat the same day you told them? That's not reasonable on your part. Pest companies usually have to be booked and it can be a few days to a week to get them out.

Also, bed bugs are hard to get rid of and expensive to get rid of.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:22 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
You cant just throw away your mattress and spray and call it done. They will live in books, dvds, clothes, pictures, bed frames, dressers, boxes, ANY WHERE.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 306 times
Default bed bugs and landlords

I noticed that the post was dated 08-03-2016. Unfortunately if you were injured by the bed bug bites the statute of limitations have passed. Nevertheless, in California - it does not matter what your landlord puts in his lease - a landlord is responsible for ridding his/her property of a bed bug infestation unless s/he can PROVE that you caused the infestation, and even then, the landlord might not be off the hook completely.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Bed Bug Lawyer View Post
I noticed that the post was dated 08-03-2016. Unfortunately if you were injured by the bed bug bites the statute of limitations have passed. Nevertheless, in California - it does not matter what your landlord puts in his lease - a landlord is responsible for ridding his/her property of a bed bug infestation unless s/he can PROVE that you caused the infestation, and even then, the landlord might not be off the hook completely.

Are you really a “bed bug lawyer?” If so, I HAVE OFFICIALLY HEARD IT ALL!!!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Bed Bug Lawyer View Post
Seems Single family homes are your best bet when it comes to tenant caused infestation.

Multi-Units not much chance in my experience.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
It's a big problem. State laws are still catching up to this as bedbug infestation spreads all over the country. My kid did NOT bring them in, but was fleeced by the complex owner for an expensive heat treatment. LL refused to inspect or treat adjacent units, from which they'd surely migrated. Kid was honest, reported them as soon as he became aware of them. Kid negotiated his way out of the lease early, treated all his stuff, and moved without them following. But there was a clause in the lease stating that ALL costs of infestation were on the tenant, and the kid didn't want to ruin his good credit and good rental record. He was lucky to get away from there - LL could have tried to keep charging him over and over forever.

I have heard of LLs bringing in a bedbug sniffing dog every time a unit turns over, to certify unit was bedbug free, and states that all costs of treatment are then on the tenant. But that would only work for a single family home. In a multi, it's very difficult to pinpoint exactly who brought it in, especially since some lucky people don't react to the bites.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I've had to deal with bed bugs in SFH and multifamily units. From what I've been told, the bed bugs wont typically migrate to adjoining units until there are sufficient numbers and there isnt anywhere else to hide. This would be a VERY bad infestation.

They can also live for several months without feeding. Statistically, you're more likely to pick them up in your day-to-day activities than have them come from a neighbor.

Our last tenant picked them up at a dialysis center and it took a few months for them to get bad enough that we were called.

An easy test to see if you have bed bugs is find the faces then, with a damp finger, smear the poop. If its red, you have bed bugs. Brown, just bugs.

As far as OP talking about companies not treating if the tenant isnt prepared, they're not going to risk poison getting on your hygiene products or anything you might ingest, and they sure arent going to wait around for you to do the prep work you were told about at least a week in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting