Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If I had to call you more than a couple of times to let you know that you were neglecting the yard work, you'd better believe you'd be moving. If you don't want to take care of lawn, you belong in an apartment building, not a single family dwelling.

It costs a lot of money to get a yard back in shape after a tenant has let it get run down, so your time to neglect the yard is going to be rather short. I'd be perfectly happy to trade you in for a tenant who doesn't want to look like he is trailer trash living where he doesn't give a fig what the neighbor's think of him and has absolutely no pride in where he lives. You'd be welcome to move elsewhere and to let that landlord's yard go to ruin.
I guess you just needed to rant. But, if you take out the editing, using my post to make your point isn't relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Why weren't you proactive and notify the landlord ahead of time that the lawnmower was broken?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Never had a tenant that would mow a lawn... never.

Every other week yard service is included with my rentals and that way I know it is done.

Also, all rentals with lawn have automatic sprinklers... which helps.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:17 PM

55 posts, read 164,653 times
Most times, the only reason that I have to remind my tenants about lawn care is when I hear from the HOA. If I hear from the HOA, that means you had plenty of time to take care of the lawn but failed to do it.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
Every landlord is different, just like people are different. They don't hate you unless you are a problem.

I didn't like being a landlord because I let them walk all over me. I am not good at that, so now I don't rent. I have a triplex and now only my family lives here and I don't hate them.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Property rights include the right of landlords to suck.

Don't like it, take it up with the Framers.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:43 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Most landlords are horribly unqualified to do what they do. Annoying tenants is one thing they usually get right.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:54 PM

99 posts, read 89,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Most landlords are horribly unqualified to do what they do. Annoying tenants is one thing they usually get right.
How are we unqualified? I read a thread some place somewhere once about something landlordy! I'm good to go.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As a landlord, I actually agree with you. I am not sure it is "most" but it certainly is a lot. I wish there was some sort of certification or licensing required (or a requirement to use a licensed property manager). I attend a lot of landlord meetings and I am amazed at how much misinformation is dispensed.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 6,567 times
Ha! Replying to ultra speed or something like that up there a ways.... I rent. Recently moved from a house we rented for 8 years (unwillingly-moved that is-sure as hell didn't want to). He sold his place and didn't have anywhere else to go so booted us out. I have three kids. That is the only HOME they have ever known. When I offered to BUY the place, with cash mind you since we rented it even when we could have at any point purchased that or a place even nicer, he declined. I get it, he's a city councilman that has to live I the ward he represents. At that time there were zero houses for sale in that ward.

That lawn was the pride and envy of the entire neighborhood. The lawn sucked when I moved in but after 8 years of yelling and addressing every blade of grass at 6:00am every day from March-November, every blade of that almost acre was perfect every day. I'm sorry if you never had a tenant like that, but we are out there. The funny thing is he always wanted to sell the place to me, he's in the "flipping" business and bought that one at the wrong time and couldn't get out of it then. About once a year he'd pester me about buying it but I always declined since I was worried about the economy in the area and didn't want to pay what he wanted for it for fear that I'd lose too. The market finally recovered and even though I was willing to pay fair market value despite renting it for 8 years he wouldn't sell.

Since you have never had a renter like me, I can assure you that I've had more then my share of landlords like you. Until booting me out so he could move in I'd have counted him as a friend. Hell, I even voted for him. Since then he's trying to charge me for a bathroom cabinet (that's basically shot from my wife's hairspray-I'm very willing to pay for that since that ones on me) and charge me full replacement for carpet in the ENTIRE house. 8 years of cheap knock of Berber type carpet that has a 3-5 year wear and durability life. Literally from the day we moved in, you have to stop every few swipes with the vacuum because it falls apart-great big piles of it. BS.

He actually broke the terms of the lease that called for an automatic renewal each year, on 11/01-provided neither party gave the other 60 days notice in writing on or before 09/01. I let this slide because I'm not in the enemy making business. That said, he's bringing this fight on and every single red cent of my security deposit minus that bathroom cabinet will be returned to me. He went from a great guy to worlds biggest butt head in about 60 seconds. I wasn't even going to demand any of my security deposit back, whatever. If he needs the grand or so more then me then so be it. Once he said I was springing for new carpets (not even prorated, full replacement cost when they are 3-5 years past their wear and durability life), it's on. I paid for pro cleaners to come in and clean every inch of that place, out of respect for him and giving that place back in the same shape as I got it in. The carpets other then in front of the couch in the living room were fine anyways. That spot hadn't been abused and was as clean as it could possibly be, it was just a high traffic are and They were cheap carpets and 8 years old or more.

I guess I'll see him in court by his choice. You know how many maintenance calls he got in 8 years? One. The furnace totally fried itself. I knew this when I called him because I'd already paid for a repairman to come out. Just like I did several other times for minor issues as well as fixing s metric ton of minor issues myself. Was this required of me? No. I did it to be a good tenant and to not bother him. Thanks to landlords like him and you, that'll never be the case again. If it breaks in the future, wherever I live until I finally grow up (at over 40) and buy a house, it's going to be on the landlords dime. Not mine. He didn't even give me enough time to find and buy another house. I could have held up the lease and told him "look you can have it 11/01 as it states" but like I said I'm not in the enemy making business. He, and landlords like you, have ruined that for me. I will no longer EVER look at this as a relationship to be nurtured and cherished. From now on its going to be strictly business on my end. Shame on me for ever thinking more then that. I'll never make that mistake again. When I'm the tenant I'm going to be the TENANT. As my landlord (what a ridiculous name btw-we moved into a double for the time being-there are about 8 of them in a row at our new place that I could pay cash for all of them right here and now if they went up for sale-not that I'd ever consider that since there are so many better investing opportunities) I will now send my check in the first of the month to you. That's what you want out of this and that is all you will get. If it breaks you will fix it. It won't be on my dime and time. Sorry for the rant but I just got hosed. Seriously? Who won't sell something that they wanted to sell for 8 years and then tries to charge you for something that they have no business charging you for? He'll lose in court plain and simple. I could easily pay him if I chose to. This time it's truly not about the money as it'll probably cost me less (and he's banking on this) to just pay him to go away. I don't care what this costs me, he's not getting one cent from me more then what is due him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting