Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I was in my Navy friends wedding and worked with his wife...

They bought at every transfer and made money on each one.

Alameda CA, Port Hueneme CA and Alexandria Virginia.

He promised 20 and out so being an officer and a gentleman that is what he did and they bought their forever home in Roseville Ca near her parents...

Selling was never a problem as it always went to a military family coming in.

Maybe they just had a run of very good luck?
Perhaps, it is just something we were not willing to risk money on. Especially in our current area. We live in a 6 year old home in a housing development they're just now building up. Why pay 135K for a used home when you can spend the same on a brand new home being built just down the street and pick everything you want to go in the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
I am a Landlord and value my tenants very much. They are my customers and I have been careful in recruiting and selecting new tenants when I have a vacancy. I have been happy with my landlord-tenant relationships and I beleive they deserve privacy and respect. When something breaks it is always fixed expeditiously.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Perhaps, it is just something we were not willing to risk money on. Especially in our current area. We live in a 6 year old home in a housing development they're just now building up. Why pay 135K for a used home when you can spend the same on a brand new home being built just down the street and pick everything you want to go in the home?
Definitely a personal lifestyle choice... there is no right or wrong answer.

He separated service in 2007 and they did buy a brand new home in California then... very nice home... it was this home that lost nearly 50% of value but has more than recovered now...

The duty station homes were all older... the one in Alameda was very old as in 1930's... he also did real well with it as he was single when he bought and spent off time on the house... not expensive things but did put a lot of time into it... painting, sprinklers, landscaping.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Definitely a personal lifestyle choice... there is no right or wrong answer.

He separated service in 2007 and they did buy a brand new home in California then... very nice home... it was this home that lost nearly 50% of value but has more than recovered now...

The duty station homes were all older... the one in Alameda was very old as in 1930's... he also did real well with it as he was single when he bought and spent off time on the house... not expensive things but did put a lot of time into it... painting, sprinklers, landscaping.
For sure For us, i think we're just going to wait, he only has 3 years til retirement. We're going to spend that time on fixing our credit and be able to live in a nice comfortable (hopefully) forever home. Thankfully, his potential retirement pay will cover our mortgage and then basically he's just going to get a job that'll cover our monthly expenses and be able to enjoy non military life.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Here's to many years of retirement enjoyment...

It is nice when a plan comes together and you reach a milestone together...

Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Hear, hear is an expression used as a short, repeated form of hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 AM

I would guess as opposed to a toast...

meaning - What does "here's to someone/thing" mean? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Here, here (in Portland), many renters are in firnancial distress and at risk of displacement and homelessness, because the rent is too high.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I lost my home do to Foreclosures while fighting for my SSD. Bank worked with me for over a year they changed the payments & everything. I was still a year behind when I asked them to go ahead & take it. I did that when my son bought his home & I moved in with him. Once I got my SSD I moved into the 1st apt in 25+ years! I would love to buy again. But there is no way I could do upkeep again.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 PM

439 posts, read 516,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Very true!!! Which is why we should get our priorities straight, and know what is important.

You ever know of people who work work work for that huge house and other material items they desperately want, and they have to work so much that they can never be home to enjoy their big house. The wife does not see her husband because he comes home at 10;00 at night. he has to work to pay for the big house!

(by the way, the tv show House Hunters is a good example of this crazyness. they have to have a 4 bedroom house - one bedroom has to be an office, each kid gets his own bedroom AND bathroom, sheesh. and the husband has to work 18 hours per day to pay for it.
okay, renter here...but the show House Hunters is such garbage sometimes...Does every American NEED granite countertops to live in a house? Such brainwashing. I know it's off topic, but I wanted to add...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting