Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If this is in fact the case, you do not have to pay any PO Box fees.
It is true. It even works on cluster boxes where there are no empty spots they will leave a slip in your box saying the package will be at the post office for pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If this is in fact the case, you do not have to pay any PO Box fees.
Well, I agree with this statement, but still find myself paying $150/year for my box. I've tried to (politely) question and argue my point but it hasn't gone anywhere.

So, while I know it is about the principle, and not the money, I also know the $150/ month isn't worth the gossip and small-town talk pushing this even further will entail.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I worked for the USPS for 29 years and I am not aware of any postal regulation prohibiting the mailing of credit cards to PO Boxes. Now a bank might have a policy they won't send them to PO boxes, but it's their poicy and not the USPS.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChow View Post
Have you considered using a mail receiving service such as Mail Boxes Etc. or the UPS store? These places will are an actual street address and accept FedEx, UPS, etc packages and parcels. They provide a safe and secure place for your mail & packages until you're able to pick them up. Sure, they cost more than a P.O. Box, but considering you're running a business perhaps the extra expense is worth it.

Ka-CHING!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I know you Goofed! BIG Time. You had ALL your mail going to the Address of the Office. They have ALL Legal Rights to REFUSE to take care of Your Mail. That Not their job! AND its ILLEGAL for Apt LL to Direct them to Your Apt. IF Your Mommy came to the Office to find you They cant tell her either.
No, not really. They were not allowed to do what they did. I was talking to someone I am privately contracted to work for... He had something in the past similar happen to him, and he was not only nice enough to have lawyer talk with me about it, but he paid for it also.

The way the Lawyer explained it to me was, only person allowed to do something like this is the person owning the property, and because I am renting it and paying my rent one time, I am the owner for the duration that I am paying the rent. Neither the office people nor even the actual owner of the land are allowed to tamper with my mail as addressed to my apartment for any reason with the only exception being I fall behind on rent and have been evicted or I move out and am no longer paying rent there. He also said had the items marked as rejected been addressed to the main office, then it would be legal for them to do this, but because these items were addressed to the apartment, it was not legal because I am current with my rent and have a lease contract, therefore they have no right to refuse or redirect any mail addressed to the residence I pay for. The only thing that they are allowed to do is tell a carrier to redeliver it tomorrow as I am not present and accept a little notice thingy, should they not want to accept my mail for any reason. He told me they are in violation of 18 U.S. Code 1701 and said he would be more than happy to represent me. He also said that they may have also breached the lease contract because of the fact that they said I am no longer a resident, when I in fact have a contract with them and pay my rent on time and said he wanted to look into something regarding the "Common Please Court"?

----

None of you apparently read the part where I have a P.O. Box for my business stuff when I answered the one dude's question...

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I worked for the USPS for 29 years and I am not aware of any postal regulation prohibiting the mailing of credit cards to PO Boxes. Now a bank might have a policy they won't send them to PO boxes, but it's their policy and not the USPS.
It does, it is in the actual Terms and Conditions that not very many people actually take the time to look up and read (Welcome | Postal Explorer). I would give a link for that but I honestly don't remember where in that giant mess of stuff I saw it, I just remember it from the day I did all my research to make sure a P.O. Box was right for my business. It also says it in the street addressing form that I had to sign Section 4 (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SDu28w&cad=rja)

It also doesn't matter much AMEX doesn't allow P.O. Boxes across the board... So I have to have this sent to my address.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You area slow learner, OP. After the second dozen incidences, you might have thought about opening a PO Box or getting a box at one of the private post offices.

After you were clearly told that they would not accept your private mail at the main office, you might have caught a hint. Use your own address or get a PO Box. For some reason, you seem to insist that your mail will be safer if you have it sent to the main office. How safe is it when they keep marking it that you don't live at that address (which you don't-- you do not live in their main office)
You are clearly a horrible reader because I mention numerous times that the items that they refused/rejected were addressed to my apartment.. the place I pay for monthly... That one.... NOT the office... After they told me that I was not allowed to send stuff to the main office directly, I purchased a P.O. Box... The set up forwarding to it so I would not have any more lost packages.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I know you Goofed! BIG Time. You had ALL your mail going to the Address of the Office. They have ALL Legal Rights to REFUSE to take care of Your Mail. That Not their job! AND its ILLEGAL for Apt LL to Direct them to Your Apt. IF Your Mommy came to the Office to find you They cant tell her either.
I tell you what, if you can show me a single Law and I mean an actual Law that says a complex is not allowed to give directions to a specific address, I will give you a 1$ amazon gift card code. If anyone in the world goes to a business and asks for directions to and address, they are allowed to give them directions. HOWEVER, if they are asking where a certain person lives and for directions to them... There is still no law against it, but this is something that could potentially bite them in the behind should the person asking directions be trying to locate and harm the resident... But seriously, please prove me wrong as they have done this to me also on numerous occasions and I would love to be able to file a complaint with the state against them for doing something else illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting