Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 PM

455 posts, read 283,455 times

Advertisements

so i have bad credit with recent lates that i flat out am not going to pay because i dispute the charges.

i have perfect rental history in terms of payment history, (0) late payments and easily will be able to verify the provided income.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Really depends on the kind of rental you are looking at -- some large corporate managed complexes will ask for a larger deposit or other efforts to insulate them from your bad history while smaller "mom & pop" landlords really won't care...

BTW, merely disputing a charge or two ought not ruin your credit but having many disputes with different kinds of firms is another case -- that really suggests that the problem is not with those extending credit to you but your inability to use it wisely...

Old 08-20-2016, 06:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
so i have bad credit with recent lates that i flat out am not going to pay because i dispute the charges.

i have perfect rental history in terms of payment history, (0) late payments and easily will be able to verify the provided income.

thanks.

Are these disputes with your current/past landlord? Very rarely will a landlord accept an applicant who is in legal/financial proceedings with a current/past landlord.

If you're talking your personal bills and it's hit your credit report, they might ask for a larger deposit or deny based on financial instability.

And late is late...how can you dispute that? If the bill is due on the first and is paid after 5pm on the first, it can/should be considered late. Doesn't matter what bill we're talking about.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:12 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
see here . this is alrady being discussed for the most part .

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ankruptcy.html

Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Are these disputes with your current/past landlord? Very rarely will a landlord accept an applicant who is in legal/financial proceedings with a current/past landlord.

If you're talking your personal bills and it's hit your credit report, they might ask for a larger deposit or deny based on financial instability.

And late is late...how can you dispute that? If the bill is due on the first and is paid after 5pm on the first, it can/should be considered late. Doesn't matter what bill we're talking about.

credit card dispute.

as i said i have perfect rental history.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

I'm reading the poster as saying he has NO rental issues, and that he's having a hissy fit over some late charges (credit card etc I presume) he disputes.

I can see how someone might disagree with a CC late charge; I've heard allegations and suspicions that credit card companies have 'held' payments an extra day or three in order to impose and collect a late fee. e.g. mail payment seven days before due, get a late charge, some people would dispute that.

When you mail a payment, you really have NO guarantee the creditor won't game you, and even if you dispute a late charge, you're not going to win that dispute.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
credit card dispute.

as i said i have perfect rental history.

That's great, but that's not the only they look at. As I said, if those late payments his your credit report, which means you were 30 days at least, it could hurt you.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm reading the poster as saying he has NO rental issues, and that he's having a hissy fit over some late charges (credit card etc I presume) he disputes.

I can see how someone might disagree with a CC late charge; I've heard allegations and suspicions that credit card companies have 'held' payments an extra day or three in order to impose and collect a late fee. e.g. mail payment seven days before due, get a late charge, some people would dispute that.

When you mail a payment, you really have NO guarantee the creditor won't game you, and even if you dispute a late charge, you're not going to win that dispute.

Pay it online; no question of when it was received. I haven't paid a bill thru the mail in years.

His rental history is only part of his story...his credit report is another. If those late credit card payments are on his report and show a pattern, it most certainly can hurt him. You of all people should know how bad credit effects your ability to rent

Old 08-21-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
That's great, but that's not the only they look at. As I said, if those late payments his your credit report, which means you were 30 days at least, it could hurt you.
thats what im trying to get removed.

and then i have one other one that was charged off that im trying to get removed as well.

i also have a kohls card i have never used and an auto loan i've had perfect payments with.

those two credit cards have dragged my score down 100 points because the utilization is so high.

my question is if i lose the dispute and end up paying these off, does closed paid in full compared to charge off, not paid in full make a difference.

thanks.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 AM

55 posts, read 164,653 times
Quote:
thats what im trying to get removed.

and then i have one other one that was charged off that im trying to get removed as well.

i also have a kohls card i have never used and an auto loan i've had perfect payments with.

those two credit cards have dragged my score down 100 points because the utilization is so high.

my question is if i lose the dispute and end up paying these off, does closed paid in full compared to charge off, not paid in full make a difference.

thanks.
Credit card disputes are non-liable and usually do not affect your score. Unless the credit card company has evidence otherwise and you're refusing to pay. Have you made a case with them that you were definitely not the person that made those charges?

Are you saying that you have high utilization on your Kohl's card? How does that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting