Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I imagine it's a pretty region specific thing. I can't imagine that a firearm banning provision would be real popular here, but other places allow it. Some places (Minnesota comes to mind) have enacted legislation making it illegal for landlords to place those provisions in their leases.

My thoughts on the matter? Screw it. How would your landlord ever know you had the firearms unless you allowed it to happen. I own several guns including a long gun and visit the range at least once every two weeks and I'd be surprised if any of my neighbors know what I am carrying back and forth to the car, even without a need or desire to hide that fact on my behalf.

If you wanna have them, have them. There's no way your landlord will know unless you advertise the fact.

I once had a roommate who kept a gun in his room. We also had a (third person) different roommate who once took out a restraining order against the gun owner. (Presumably, she did not know he possessed a gun, because she could have seriously messed up his domestic violence probation if she had reported it.)

Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some insurers ask about guns and certain breeds of dogs .

they are concerned about accidents . self defense shootings are not covered if you do get sued so they do not have to worry about that .shooting someone in self defense is an intentional act and all policy's do not cover intentional acts .

So...if you are confronted in your home by an armed invader, and you choose to NOT shoot, and the invader kills you, do your surviving spouse and children get to sue and collects from the insurer?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,350,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some insurers ask about guns and certain breeds of dogs .

they are concerned about accidents . self defense shootings are not covered if you do get sued so they do not have to worry about that .shooting someone in self defense is an intentional act and all policy's do not cover intentional acts .
I know about the dog issue, but can you please cite specific sources for your statement regarding firearms?

Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
My husband and I are both NRA members and have many guns...mostly for hunting. I include in my lease that my upstairs tenant can not have any firearms on the property. That is my right.

Do you and your husband have any firearms on your property?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 AM

105,860 posts, read 107,820,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I know about the dog issue, but can you please cite specific sources for your statement regarding firearms?

I am on my nook so i can 't link but just google intentional injury exclusion . You shoulld see homeowners policys and self defense.

Homeowner policy's and umbrella policy's exclude any action that is not accidental or unintionable . For coverage you need to buy self defense insurance . That is generally what you buy if you have a ccw permit

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-23-2016 at 05:43 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,184,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I ban them in my townhomes because tensions are higher the closer the neighbors live and it just makes sense. I ask because it is a waste of your money if I do checks and surprise you with it in the lease. I might not know about it the entire time you are living there or I might find it on my first inspection and you get evicted over it.

Myself I have several and I carry at least one on me and another one near me at all times but you will never know that at a glance.

So it's okay for YOU to have a gun for protection but not your tenants? Are you a slumlord? Not being ugly about it but I've lived in townhouses and we don't become rabid animals because we live close to each other.

Then you mention you first inspection; I'm assuming people don't have a gun just laying out. How far do you go with your "inspection".

And to the OP I wonder if this LL wouldn't rent to a police officer because he/she had a gun?

Old 08-23-2016, 06:59 AM

17,002 posts, read 21,674,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I toured a house for rent. Landlord liked me after we discussed my income and credit score. He said apply today and it'll be yours. Then he randomly asked if I'd have a firearm in the home. I was caught off guard and said yes I have one licensed firearm. Then a few minutes later he remembered that he had an applicant already hat was pending approval. Obviously he is anti gun. Has anyone ever come across something like this?
Maybe he is a bad landlord and found himself on the wrong end of the barrel!

Can't blame a guy for looking to reduce his odds of trouble!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,184,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You have the right to own a gun, but your right to carry that gun can be limited by location. There are lots of places where you can not take your gun with you. If a landlord doesn't want guns on the property, go and rent from someone else. Or keep your guns in a locker at your local gun club instead on your apartment.

How is that gun kept in a locker at your local gun club going to help you if someone breaks into your house? Since the police can't be everywhere 24/7 I will always have a gun. I've had one for 40 years, took lessons and know how to use it. I was the first woman allowed in the formerly all male gun club on Long Island.

And to landlords who say they won't allow them what security measures do you have to keep your tenants safe? Do you have deadbolts & strong, steel doors that can't be kicked in? Alarm systems on doors and windows? Do thorough background checks? Do you have cameras in the parking lot? Security on site in the evenings? Unless you, as a landlord, plan on keeping your tenants as safe as possible, you shouldn't expect them to give up their only means of self defense in the event of a break-in or worse.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So if I rent from you and no firearms are allowed on the property and I am maimed in a home invasion, can I get a million-dollar judgment against you?
Nope. Because nobody forced you to rent there.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do you and your husband have any firearms on your property?
Doesn't matter. It's their property, they can do as they please. Including requiring no guns in their rental. There are plenty of folks that don't own guns that can rent there.

I own dogs. In fact, a good portion of my life is spent around dogs - showing them, training them, etc. My long term goal is to have rental property. I will not allow pets. What I have is irrelevant to what I can limit in my rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting