Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

I toured a house for rent. Landlord liked me after we discussed my income and credit score. He said apply today and it'll be yours. Then he randomly asked if I'd have a firearm in the home. I was caught off guard and said yes I have one licensed firearm. Then a few minutes later he remembered that he had an applicant already hat was pending approval. Obviously he is anti gun. Has anyone ever come across something like this?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Obviously he is anti gun.
Or at least anti-tenant's having weapons on his property.

Quote:
Has anyone ever come across something like this?
I'm surprised that you're surprised by the sentiment.
Where are you?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM

99 posts, read 89,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm surprised that you're surprised by the sentiment.
Where are you?
I'm actually also surprised by this sentiment and have lived on both ends of the spectrum as far as gun sentiment goes (CA and GA). As far as I'm concerned as a LL, it's my property, but it's their home. They have a right to do anything that isn't illegal, doesn't ruin my property, or adversely affect the neighborhood/neighbors, especially if they consider it for personal protection.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Guess I'm just surprised because I've seen tons of properties since I started renting 15 years ago and no one has ever asked me that.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
As a (pro-gun rights, non-gun owner) landlord, it has never occurred to me to ask that question. I do remember feeling uneasy when an old roommate moved in with his hunting rifle.

Regardless, gun owners are not a protected class, so anyone has the absolute right to discriminate against you for it.

I've just never heard it happen before; but I'm in a pretty pro-gun state (VA).

Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 PM

70 posts, read 76,648 times
Wow, as a renter my husband and I never had that asked of us, and yes we do have firearms, we hunt, and my husband works armed Security.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:31 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
My husband and I are both NRA members and have many guns...mostly for hunting. I include in my lease that my upstairs tenant can not have any firearms on the property. That is my right.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I toured a house for rent. Landlord liked me after we discussed my income and credit score. He said apply today and it'll be yours. Then he randomly asked if I'd have a firearm in the home. I was caught off guard and said yes I have one licensed firearm. Then a few minutes later he remembered that he had an applicant already hat was pending approval. Obviously he is anti gun. Has anyone ever come across something like this?
I imagine it's a pretty region specific thing. I can't imagine that a firearm banning provision would be real popular here, but other places allow it. Some places (Minnesota comes to mind) have enacted legislation making it illegal for landlords to place those provisions in their leases.

My thoughts on the matter? Screw it. How would your landlord ever know you had the firearms unless you allowed it to happen. I own several guns including a long gun and visit the range at least once every two weeks and I'd be surprised if any of my neighbors know what I am carrying back and forth to the car, even without a need or desire to hide that fact on my behalf.

If you wanna have them, have them. There's no way your landlord will know unless you advertise the fact.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
I ban them in my townhomes because tensions are higher the closer the neighbors live and it just makes sense. I ask because it is a waste of your money if I do checks and surprise you with it in the lease. I might not know about it the entire time you are living there or I might find it on my first inspection and you get evicted over it.

Myself I have several and I carry at least one on me and another one near me at all times but you will never know that at a glance.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
some insurers ask about guns and certain breeds of dogs .

they are concerned about accidents . self defense shootings are not covered if you do get sued so they do not have to worry about that .shooting someone in self defense is an intentional act and all policy's do not cover intentional acts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting