Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You should have no trouble. I'll address your concerns below:

-Will it be harder for me to rent because of age?
Possibly to some, but you are an adult and your income, credit score, and your attitude personality when meeting prospecting landlords will be key.

-I have good credit, but only about 3 months worth.
You have to start somewhere. I'd take a chance on you if you had a good income and seemed normal when we met.

-I am currently employed making good money, but I have only been at this job for 3 months.
Again, you have to start somewhere. Some will be ok with this others won't. I'd say most will be willing to rent to you.

- I have enough money to cover rent if I do lose my job, ( I won't, I just got a promotion).
This is also a bonus.

- I have no rental history.
Don't worry about it. You have a good job and seem normal.

Bottom line, you don't have much credit or a long time job so do your best to impress landlords when you meet them and even speak with them. Be professional in how you communicate. Dress nicely when you meet them. Be polite. Let them know you will respect their place. You will have no trouble finding a place.
I would also agree with all of this. You have to start somewhere so just don't go crazy overboard with a really expensive place. Perhaps even try to find a modest studio apt for a good reasonable price somewhere and stay a year to get yourself established with rental, job and credit history a bit more and then if you want, start scoping out a bigger place when you are a bit more stable on qualifications. It sounds like you would be pretty happy with living rather modestly at this point anyway just to get away from your current situation.

Just don't get discouraged right away if you don't find a place. There are more than likely a lot of LLs that won't take you but there will be some that will so just keep trying. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've had some excellent young tenants... youngest was 18.

Age is not a factor as long as you are old enough to sign.

My 19 year old is now an MD... she was basically alone... mom died when she was 12 and her father was in very poor health... wanted to be a Doctor and came from a very modest background... she worked 3 jobs and full time school... very impressive. Two jobs were at school and the third was tutoring.

Every year I get a Christmas card which is very thoughtful... wish I had a building full of people with her determination and work ethic.

No credit is to be expected... bad credit is a no go.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've had some excellent young tenants... youngest was 18.

Age is not a factor as long as you are old enough to sign.

My 19 year old is now an MD... she was basically alone... mom died when she was 12 and her father was in very poor health... wanted to be a Doctor and came from a very modest background... she worked 3 jobs and full time school... very impressive. Two jobs were at school and the third was tutoring.

Every year I get a Christmas card which is very thoughtful... wish I had a building full of people with her determination and work ethic.

No credit is to be expected... bad credit is a no go.
Its good to know that younger tenants have worked out for you!

On another note, your 19 year old is an MD? Congrats to her, but that has to be the youngest MD that I've ever heard of!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its good to know that younger tenants have worked out for you!

On another note, your 19 year old is an MD? Congrats to her, but that has to be the youngest MD that I've ever heard of!
She would be almost 30 now...

She was attending the local community college when she rented a one bedroom I managed.

There is a little more to the story...

She had applied to medical schools and was not having much luck... plus she needed to work that third job because the application fees really added up.

She had been with me 2 years and called one night... said a spot had opened up in Illinois but she had less than 10 days to move half way across the country to accept... I told her she better get moving and had her full deposit ready for her...

Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
She would be almost 30 now...

She was attending the local community college when she rented a one bedroom I managed.

There is a little more to the story...

She had applied to medical schools and was not having much luck... plus she needed to work that third job because the application fees really added up.

She had been with me 2 years and called one night... said a spot had opened up in Illinois but she had less than 10 days to move half way across the country to accept... I told her she better get moving and had her full deposit ready for her...
Ah, that's great! Congrats to you and to her. I'm glad to hear these stories of younger tenants, though. It gives me additional perspective on things.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 AM

784 posts, read 729,565 times
If you had a solid credit score, and solid income, I would rent to you. I would not let you pay more than 30% of your gross income in rent. If you did not make enough to cover the rent with that 30%, I would pass on you.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Apartments shouldn't have any issue renting to you.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:27 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You should have no trouble. I'll address your concerns below:

-Will it be harder for me to rent because of age?
Possibly to some, but you are an adult and your income, credit score, and your attitude personality when meeting prospecting landlords will be key.

-I have good credit, but only about 3 months worth.
You have to start somewhere. I'd take a chance on you if you had a good income and seemed normal when we met.

-I am currently employed making good money, but I have only been at this job for 3 months.
Again, you have to start somewhere. Some will be ok with this others won't. I'd say most will be willing to rent to you.

- I have enough money to cover rent if I do lose my job, ( I won't, I just got a promotion).
This is also a bonus.

- I have no rental history.
Don't worry about it. You have a good job and seem normal.

Bottom line, you don't have much credit or a long time job so do your best to impress landlords when you meet them and even speak with them. Be professional in how you communicate. Dress nicely when you meet them. Be polite. Let them know you will respect their place. You will have no trouble finding a place.
Don't forget to suggest OP show up with a reasonably clean car not filled with junk. Some landlords will see a messy car as a red flag that the tenant will trash the place. Just sayin'.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:02 PM

^^^ I do note how a person arrives... a clean car is a plus... it can be 20 years old but that doesn't equal dirty of falling apart... also check for current tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting