Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt. with someone I thought was my best friend. She had a dog, which was fine since she agreed to pay the pet deposit and pet rent. When we moved in I brought the the living room and dining room furniture and all of the kitchenware (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, glasses etc. Right after we moved in she got a second dog to keep the first one company while she was at work.

This is where the problem starts. The dogs are untrained and they poop and pee all over the carpet. I had to keep my bedroom door closed because they would go in my bedroom and do it also. May roommate was barely home and when she flew in for a minute she never cleaned up the dog mess, she just left it there until I finally got sick of it and cleaned it up. Needless to say the apt smells like and outhouse. I have mentioned it a few times and she cleans it up then, but she goe back to not cleaning it up. My mom had to stay with me for a while because she couldn't work and since she has been here my roommate is better about it but the dogs still pee all over and it still smells like an outhouse.

The dogs also chewed up all of my funiture. I barely even use the living room because furniture is torn up and disgusting. All she says is Oh, I'm sorry! Not only have they torn up the furniture, they have shredded the carpet and chewed up the doors.

Now she has been having her boyfriend here every night and when she has a day off. He is now bringing his dog over too. His dog barks constantly while they are away.

There are may other issues which I won't go into but I need to get out of this place. The smell is disgusting and I can barely stand to cook my food in the kitchen because of th smell and I am embarassed to bring anyone over.

Does anyone know if there is any way to get out of this lease? I don't want to be charged the thousands its probably going to cost to repair the damage the dogs have done. Its unbearable to live there with the stench, the barking and the boyfriend (my ex-boyfriend who I despise). I need to get out but don't want to ruin my credit.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:44 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
You, your roommate, your mother, your ex-boyfriend her now-boyfriend.... And three dogs who have never been housetrained. What a fiasco.

Can we link this to the "discrimination against pet owners" thread?

You agreed and contributed to this mess by allowing this, even if they are "her dogs". By your lease you are likely both singly and together liable for the lease and damage.

For advice? Tell your roommate you want to leave. Ask her to take over the lease with her boyfriend if she can't afford it on her own. Then talk to your landlord about how to make that happen. Personally, I'm not sure if the amount of damage that is likely done will be affordable; expect a LARGE bill for damage above and beyond any deposits. See if you can get roommate to agree, in writing, that the pets and damage from the pets are her responsibility. So that when you get a judgement against you both, you can use that to sue your roommate.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
OMG . I am VERY sorry you re having to go through with this .

I get really off the hook if stuff like this happens to me and I would ( if the furniture in your opinion is unsalvagable ) Throw it ALL and I mean all out . None left . She will ask why and you tell her why and as long as she or the dogs either /or are around there will BE no more furniture . Then follow the advice Solaire gave you in the last paragraph . UGH - gross . Again I am sorry. I would also probably say quite a few things I cannot say here that would cause her BF to never bring his dog around out of fear until I could get out . Hate it when people take advantage of others kindness.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:58 AM

253 posts, read 228,858 times
If I were in your position I would tell your roommate you intend to move out and get your own place or something and try to leave amicably involving your landlord as little as possible. If you can get your name off the lease before he realizes that she and her dogs have destroyed the place it'll all be on her. If she won't cooperate I would go over her head and see if you can't work something out with your landlord so he knows that her animals have destroyed the property. If she signed a pet lease you may be able to avoid being held responsible.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
It doesn't matter whose dogs they are, you both are going to be held responsible for the damage they caused. You also need to move out any unauthorized tenants as well...if they aren't on the lease, they don't belong there

If I was your landlord I'd evict all of you..including mom and bf. It won't be long before he finds all of this out...someone will complain to him

This is why responsible pet owners have a hard time finding decent rentals

Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
A roomate is a marsupial sibling.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
I'd go tell your ll that she brought on more dogs, and isn't caring for them and cleaning up, plus has boyfriend tgere, and that you want to terminate your lease. You can kiss your security deposit goodbye, and will most likely have a judgement for damages.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I'd contact your landlord....and tell him what is going on. Maybe he will let you out of your lease and go after her simply because he is thankful for you telling him....it is going to destroy his building soon.

Take pics of your furniture, and sue this roommate in small claims court.....and for any deposit that you loose. Too bad you can't take smell-a-vision pics for court.

What a horrible situation....I feel sorry for you. Please keep us posted.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Does your landlord allow so many dogs? Maybe the neighbors are already complaining.

Save your money for your next place. And expect that references may not be top notch from your current landlord.

The apt seems to be a containment area for inappropriate things. I bet if you bring in a new person, your roommate wouldn't notice. Then if you stepped away...left...and that one person was still there she probably wouldn't notice the difference either. Maybe you can find someone to take your place. Like someone with difficulty finding a place since they have three or four dogs.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Those poor dogs are suffering from "stupidowneritis"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting