Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:03 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Often times illegal apartments are cheaper or will take less qualified applicants. You burned that bridge and have lost that apartment.

You are very poorly qualified to obtain another apartment, but I suppose you'd better keep looking because you won't be staying in the one you are in now. At some point you might be able to find a landlord who doesn't check references because with your bankruptcy and bad landlord reference, you won't be accepted by a landlord who cares about how his property is taken care of.

You make your problem worse by trying to rent a place with 2 roommates who aren't any more qualified than you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:39 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,255 times
Isn't this a situation where the ll is obligated to pay 6x to move out since the apartment is illegal ?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Sorry for my snippy reply. I presume the OP I didn't read says you are out (or soon to be out) of your present apartment and can't afford anything else offered on the market.

I'm a landlord but I rent houses and list them using a Realtor. No help there. And most landlords who rent houses probably have the same policy I have, I won't rent to groups of unrelated people, i.e. roommates. I stop reading the application when it's from multiple unrelated people and tell my Realtor to give them the bad news.

I think Craig's List is a good idea, but instead of looking for "1 bedroom apartment to rent" look for "roommate wanted" and "room for rent" ads. I think in all practicality those are your only choices.

As far as I know these are the only sources of apartments and rooms to rent: (1) Craig's List, (2) Realtor listings, (3) signs posted at or nearby property, (4) perhaps local newspapers, (5) word of mouth.

If you are a senior citizen you may have a few more options, but you can also expect a waiting list.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
WagWalker, if you are in a Rent Stabilized unit (there is no rent control in LA, it is Rent Stabilized) and you are being evicted for reasons other than non-compliance with your lease, you may be entitled to relocation assistance. Unless you are over 65 or disabled, it looks like you are eligible for $10,400.

The document is here http://hcidla.lacity.org/system/file...ion_update.pdf

Due the uniqueness of your situation, I would contact the city. Phone numbers and links are in the doc as well.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 7,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Often times illegal apartments are cheaper or will take less qualified applicants. You burned that bridge and have lost that apartment. When I originally rented out the apartment nine years ago my credit was actually in stellar condition (this was long before bankruptcy). Also the landlord never informed me it was illegal. I didn't even know those existed back then.

You are very poorly qualified to obtain another apartment, but I suppose you'd better keep looking because you won't be staying in the one you are in now. At some point you might be able to find a landlord who doesn't check references because with your bankruptcy and bad landlord reference, you won't be accepted by a landlord who cares about how his property is taken care of. Renting somewhere where the landlord doesn't take care of the property isn't an option. I have spent over $7000 of my own money to tend to the bed bug matter that my landlord should have originally taken care of himself. I will be taking him to small claims after I'm moved. But emotionally, mentally, and financially I cannot experience something like this again.

You make your problem worse by trying to rent a place with 2 roommates who aren't any more qualified than you are. The other two rooommates come into play because 1. They are looking for a place as well. 2. Our incomes combined with assure a place easier than each of us doing it alone. This is LA, people live like sardines here. Lots more people occupying spaces together than separate because of the cost of living. 3. One has a lower credit score than I do, but she also has no bankruptcy. The other has no bankruptcy, evictions, or anything like that. His credit score is in the high 600's. Mine is around 680. From my research most people want to see a credit score of 650 or higher. 4. It's important to live with people you get a long with and we all get along with one another. 5. I honestly don't know anyone with perfect outside of my mother lol.
So much easier to reply to questions in bold in quoted text. See above.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sorry for my snippy reply. I presume the OP I didn't read says you are out (or soon to be out) of your present apartment and can't afford anything else offered on the market.

I'm a landlord but I rent houses and list them using a Realtor. No help there. And most landlords who rent houses probably have the same policy I have, I won't rent to groups of unrelated people, i.e. roommates. I stop reading the application when it's from multiple unrelated people and tell my Realtor to give them the bad news.

I think Craig's List is a good idea, but instead of looking for "1 bedroom apartment to rent" look for "roommate wanted" and "room for rent" ads. I think in all practicality those are your only choices.

As far as I know these are the only sources of apartments and rooms to rent: (1) Craig's List, (2) Realtor listings, (3) signs posted at or nearby property, (4) perhaps local newspapers, (5) word of mouth.

If you are a senior citizen you may have a few more options, but you can also expect a waiting list.
No worries. I never mentioned I couldn't afford housing. I totally can. But bankruptcy on top of the uniqueness of my situation hinders that. Thankfully I've had no issues with landlords accepting roommates. In LA people live like sardines. Almost always roommates situations happening. And landlords have no issues with that from my experience. It's my bankruptcy and appearing I have no rental history when I do, that becomes an issue. Definitely no where near being a senior citizen, so no options there.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
WagWalker, if you are in a Rent Stabilized unit (there is no rent control in LA, it is Rent Stabilized) and you are being evicted for reasons other than non-compliance with your lease, you may be entitled to relocation assistance. Unless you are over 65 or disabled, it looks like you are eligible for $10,400.

The document is here http://hcidla.lacity.org/system/file...ion_update.pdf

Due the uniqueness of your situation, I would contact the city. Phone numbers and links are in the doc as well.
Yes, from the information I've been researching I do believe you are right and I will probably receive the $10,400. However it's not housing's responsibility to actually find a place to relocate me to, just to provide the funding to do so. So while having the money is great, I'm still pretty stuck in finding a new home.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 PM

Just thought I'd share a quick update! Found a new apartment and was approved !!!! Moved in this past Saturday. It's legal and the property manager lives on site and keeps the building in very good condition. Complete opposite of what I left. Such a relief! Time to move on to a better chapter. Thanks to everyone with their feedback from before!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And most landlords who rent houses probably have the same policy I have, I won't rent to groups of unrelated people, i.e. roommates. I stop reading the application when it's from multiple unrelated people and tell my Realtor to give them the bad news.
So not true that 'most' LLs will not rent to unrelated people. There are 'some' who won't yes, but it is no where even close to 'most' of them. If that were the case many LLs/PMCs would go out of business. Do you have any idea how many towns/cities have colleges/tech schools where students need to share, or that there are kids just starting out on their own that need to share expenses, or cities with rent so high it is unaffordable to rent without roommates, or unmarried couple situations, etc, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagWalker View Post
Just thought I'd share a quick update! Found a new apartment and was approved !!!! Moved in this past Saturday. It's legal and the property manager lives on site and keeps the building in very good condition. Complete opposite of what I left. Such a relief! Time to move on to a better chapter. Thanks to everyone with their feedback from before!
That is great news! I hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting