Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

So, My Fiance and I got the notice to vacate last week. We knew that it was coming at some point (Property sale had been contingent, and the demolition permit, but all the same had hoped to wait a few more months until we had enough cash saved to buy a place. So long, below market rent in a poorly maintained building in a fabulous neighborhood. I had never had much trouble finding a place, since I had a narrow list of locations that I wanted, and not much else mattered to me.

Anyhow, Now that I'm engaged, and I have a dog, I have to balance a couple of interests at once which makes it more difficult.

My question is, what makes a property manager/Landlord more apt to call you back, or willing to set an appointment? We seem to call a lot, and don't get many responses.

Additionally, we both have called on the same place, and gotten vastly different responses. My fiance called to inquire on Tuesday or Wednesday, and was told "No Dogs, Sorry."

I called Friday (not knowing she had called earlier) and was asked about a dog, yes I have one, Breed is a pointer (Actually German Wirehaired Pointer, but since that confuses people who wonder if its a dangerous breed, I've taken to abbreviating it,) Would I like to see it? Yes I would...I set the appointment...

So, my questions are, is it better for a man or a young woman to call? We sound equally professional, although she may sound young.

If both phone and email are listed, is it better to call and leave a message or send an email or both? I'm partial to the phone call, myself.

Work email or gmail account?

I'm not concerned about credit, deposits, income, background, etc, as it will all check out...I just want to see the units.

Or are they just inundated with requests, so they take the first half dozen viable prospects and run with those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:42 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You can't make a landlord return your call. Sorry.

If there is a phone number, it is best to call. Pay attention to the ad and use whatever contact method is requested. Some landlords only want email contact. Some landlords text and some don't but I don't know any landlords that prefer text as the first contact method.

You won't get a call back if the place has already been rented. You won't get a call back if there is something in your original message that would get your application rejected. (and most landlords have a list of catch phrases that almost always indicate that the applicant will be rejected if they apply and go through the screening, and do not expect me to tell you what they are, its a secret handshake thing)

I doubt that it makes any difference whether the tenant is male or female. Maybe on the dog thing you each spoke to a different person, or maybe your girlfriend asked if they take dogs and you asked if they would take a well trained clean pointer. Or maybe the policy changed in the days between.

Some landlords have both pet and no pet units. Maybe there was a bit of confusion at the managers office about which unit it was.

The only reason I can think of that there would be any different response between your calls and your girlfriend's calls would be if she has a speech impediment that makes her sound like she is drunk or stoned. If she does, I suggest that you do all the calling.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
You could still get a home of your own. USDA home loan for cities with populations of 35,000 or less, no money down.
http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/RD_ProgramMatrix.pdf

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If there is a phone number, it is best to call. Pay attention to the ad and use whatever contact method is requested. Some landlords only want email contact. Some landlords text and some don't but I don't know any landlords that prefer text as the first contact method.

You won't get a call back if the place has already been rented. You won't get a call back if there is something in your original message that would get your application rejected. (and most landlords have a list of catch phrases that almost always indicate that the applicant will be rejected if they apply and go through the screening, and do not expect me to tell you what they are, its a secret handshake thing)

I doubt that it makes any difference whether the tenant is male or female. Maybe on the dog thing you each spoke to a different person, or maybe your girlfriend asked if they take dogs and you asked if they would take a well trained clean pointer. Or maybe the policy changed in the days between.

Some landlords have both pet and no pet units. Maybe there was a bit of confusion at the managers office about which unit it was.

The only reason I can think of that there would be any different response between your calls and your girlfriend's calls would be if she has a speech impediment that makes her sound like she is drunk or stoned. If she does, I suggest that you do all the calling.

I wonder if email-only is being used to discriminate covertly. I had one landlord who preferred to rent to men because he held the opinion that women are more likely to flush things that clog the piping. (Probably one bad apple in the past and he didn't want a repeat.)

Old 09-06-2016, 07:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
You can get them to return your calls once you learn how to herd cats (or snakes depending on your species preference.)

Too many people, not enough rentals, landlord's market.

Go find places with a rental office open during business hours.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You can get them to return your calls once you learn how to herd cats (or snakes depending on your species preference.)

Too many people, not enough rentals, landlord's market.

Go find places with a rental office open during business hours.

Econ 101 says markets self-correct by increasing supply.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I appreciate the thoughts. She is a teacher and sounds like it.

I did tell my Fiance to stop saying that our place has been sold, as I recall somewhere it can be a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You could still get a home of your own. USDA home loan for cities with populations of 35,000 or less, no money down.
http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/RD_ProgramMatrix.pdf
Mostly, I don't want to buy a place with a hard deadline; If something goes sour in the process I would be scrambling, and you don't make the best decisions with a gun to your head. Its easy enough with a rental; I just move at the end of the lease term.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
John Maynard Keynes was a genius. His laws of economics still apply.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And in my market, there are many, many units being built. However, it isn't as simple as adding a third shift at the widget factory. Also, it corrects from the top of the market down. Meaning, it has to trickle down to the less expensive, non updated units.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM

268 posts, read 272,728 times
As a PM, here is what won't get you a reply (from me at least)... Our ad spells out everything you need to know about the unit as well as our requirements and viewing/move-in availability. It also asks you to provide certain details in your email response. Here's what I received so far today from different people:

"When can I move in?" and nothing else.
"I don't like the location or the price, will you work with me?"
"I know your ad says no pets, but I'll be up front and tell you I have a dog. When can I see the place?"
"Will you lower the price and allow a 35 pound dog?"
"I need more information". What information? It's all in the ad.
"Does it have XYZ?" If it had XYZ it would say so in the ad.
"Can I see it on ...? A day not available as stated in the ad.

Sorry, but if someone can't read an ad and follow directions, I'm not going to waste my time getting back to them.

I forgot about this response to one of our ads a few years ago, "I don't like the kitchen. If you don't update it, I won't move in". lol

Last edited by CrabbyAppleton205; 09-07-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting