Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 AM

285 posts, read 262,489 times

Advertisements

Thanks much FLtoAnywhereMidwest, but I decided that I'll just suck up my roommate hatred and live somewhere with a few. When a one bedroom that rents for $500 a month said no due to not making that 3x amount, it sort of just took all hope I had out of my system. So Im sucking it up and looking at places mostly for students, but available for people who are college aged and coming in alone. I already know I'm gonna hate it, cause of my roommate issue, but I really have no options since even cheap studios out here want to see that 3x amount. At least there I'll be able to afford rent, my other bills, and have a lot of money to just play with monthly. So the only bright side to my situation there is gaining rental history and being able to hopefully buy a nicer car by the time my lease is up.

Thanks though, but I've sort of accepted my crappy situation and hoping it works out in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
There is another option besides a roommate. Some people will rent out one room in their house. Look for a private room with it's own private entrance and a private bath and keep yourself to yourself. You don't go into the rest of the house, you stay in your own room when you are at home.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM

47 posts, read 52,381 times
Default Roommates BeWary

Just be wary when it comes to roommates. You typically don't know these people and sometimes that is a good thing. Be sure to check them out as much as you can. Ask a lot of questions about things that matter to you and watch their body language when they respond.

I would go for the private room with a private entrance. It seems a better option for you. In those cases, most of the time these are simple individuals who need some extra income, possibly to stave off losing their independence as well. (though you can not assume this nor ask it). Be sure to be as open as possible with them so they feel that they can be comfortable with you. They don't usually ask for anything more than a deposit and the rent, and references. Be able to give someone some character references because you are going to be upfront with them about just starting out and being a college student etc. Also, keep your eccentricities to yourself. And you always want to be on the quiet side in these situations. They will love it and then you have a great reference and usually make a really good friend at the same time

Good luck to you.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM

75 posts, read 60,094 times
I had a friend who was also "roommate intolerant" for quite some time before she found a right person of her. I don't want to repeat others, but it seems that roommate is the only solution. How much you like it will probably depend on kind of person you pick. I'd go for someone you won't wanna kill in the first week of co-habitation. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Thanks much FLtoAnywhereMidwest, but I decided that I'll just suck up my roommate hatred and live somewhere with a few. When a one bedroom that rents for $500 a month said no due to not making that 3x amount, it sort of just took all hope I had out of my system. So Im sucking it up and looking at places mostly for students, but available for people who are college aged and coming in alone. I already know I'm gonna hate it, cause of my roommate issue, but I really have no options since even cheap studios out here want to see that 3x amount. At least there I'll be able to afford rent, my other bills, and have a lot of money to just play with monthly. So the only bright side to my situation there is gaining rental history and being able to hopefully buy a nicer car by the time my lease is up.

Thanks though, but I've sort of accepted my crappy situation and hoping it works out in the end.
Be careful about blowing all your money on "fun". This can turn out very badly when an unexpected expense crops up (car repair, illness in family, etc.)

This is why they have the 3x rule that you seem to think is so unreasonable. People have plenty of expenses besides rent, gas and food. Be prepared!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
How many jobs are you currently working? Maybe get another job. When I was younger I worked as many as three jobs at a time. One full time and two part time. At one time I was delivering papers in the morning, then would head off to a yogurt shot to get the place ready for the day. Then off to a Window Cleaning Business that I worked for. After work I went back to the yogurt shop a couple times a week and on weekends to work. Then home.

Another time in my life I worked for a Convenience store at night and worked for another company during the day. Sometimes you do what ever it takes.

I would say that it is much easier to make money now than in any other time in life. So many advantages with the internet.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How many jobs are you currently working? Maybe get another job. When I was younger I worked as many as three jobs at a time. One full time and two part time. At one time I was delivering papers in the morning, then would head off to a yogurt shot to get the place ready for the day. Then off to a Window Cleaning Business that I worked for. After work I went back to the yogurt shop a couple times a week and on weekends to work. Then home.

Another time in my life I worked for a Convenience store at night and worked for another company during the day. Sometimes you do what ever it takes.

I would say that it is much easier to make money now than in any other time in life. So many advantages with the internet.
That would work if my current position didn't have the ridiculous hour requirements. I HAVE to make a certain amount of hours to qualify for the education awards, and those take time out of my day. Then I do volunteer work that counts towards my hour requirements, yet take time from a real job.

While some will read this and go "Just quit the job then", remember I get a large sum of cash for school when I'm finished. And another one for another year of service. Realistically, I need the money if I plan on going to school again and not end up with enormous debt. So I gotta pick my battles and decided to take the time out of my life to fulfill these ridiculous hour requirements so I can get a good education award and something pretty nice to put on my pretty sad resume.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 PM

525 posts, read 660,711 times
Treading lightly here because you seem to be on edge. (yeah, no)

Sometimes you aren't going to get your way. That's life.

Landlords don't know you.

You cannot meet the minimum requirements for a single person living situation that meets YOUR requirements.

Find alternatives that you might be able to deal with and quit basing that on previous experience unless it has to do with your own issues. (ie: you bring your problems with you and make them others' problems). In basic terms, roommates.

You can afford to rent a room.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
Treading lightly here because you seem to be on edge. (yeah, no)

Sometimes you aren't going to get your way. That's life.

Landlords don't know you.

You cannot meet the minimum requirements for a single person living situation that meets YOUR requirements.

Find alternatives that you might be able to deal with and quit basing that on previous experience unless it has to do with your own issues. (ie: you bring your problems with you and make them others' problems). In basic terms, roommates.

You can afford to rent a room.
Did you not read what I send Flo(forgot the rest of the username)?

Cause if you did you'd know I accepted that. Like a while ago. Like 2-3 weeks ago... Like I already put in the application acceptance.

And don't get me started on that, cause that was just one WEIRD experience.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
I am having issues finding a home and need some advice.

First issue is my lack of rental history. I'm 19 and have none. I lived from my moms place, to dorms, and now a homeless(ish) shelter. I won't lie and say I'm unwelcome home and made no money to live alone, so here I am. I pay some form of income to stay here. So far I hate it and am looking elsewhere, but it's workable.

Second issue is my lack of credit history. I JUST got a credit card in May, my first one also. I have that and student loans as my history. That's it.

I earn a good $1000 a month (not a lot, but more than enough for me). I am only looking at apartments under $600, as I have to pay car insurance, phone bill, food, necessities. I was already denied twice for the reasons listed above and am thinking this will become a trend. I can't keep putting in applications just to get denied. It's both morally crushing and costly. The recent one was $570 and I guess I was overstretching it,so thats probably why I was told no.

So how can I convince a landlord I can pay rent on time with my lack of the two most important things? I can't just raise my score and get history. But I obviously can't lie. So what do I do?
You can't convince a stranger that you can pay rent. Why can't you lice with your mother, I mean it's better than a homeless shelter, she should not want to see you almost out on the streets. Look for a roommate instead.

you should have 2.5 to 3 times your rent to income ration.

So if you want to rent a $600 apartment you should earn at least $1500 a month. For 1000 you can qualify for a $400 apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting