Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM

285 posts, read 262,286 times

Advertisements

I am having issues finding a home and need some advice.

First issue is my lack of rental history. I'm 19 and have none. I lived from my moms place, to dorms, and now a homeless(ish) shelter. I won't lie and say I'm unwelcome home and made no money to live alone, so here I am. I pay some form of income to stay here. So far I hate it and am looking elsewhere, but it's workable.

Second issue is my lack of credit history. I JUST got a credit card in May, my first one also. I have that and student loans as my history. That's it.

I earn a good $1000 a month (not a lot, but more than enough for me). I am only looking at apartments under $600, as I have to pay car insurance, phone bill, food, necessities. I was already denied twice for the reasons listed above and am thinking this will become a trend. I can't keep putting in applications just to get denied. It's both morally crushing and costly. The recent one was $570 and I guess I was overstretching it,so thats probably why I was told no.

So how can I convince a landlord I can pay rent on time with my lack of the two most important things? I can't just raise my score and get history. But I obviously can't lie. So what do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 PM

99 posts, read 89,055 times
Have you considered roommates?

Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
You cant expect to convince a landlord you can pay rent when you dont make near enough money to. If you think $1000 a month is more than enough for you, you will be staying in the homeless shelter.

You also said in a previous thread you have a school loan you have to get paid off, which is around $300 a month.

Landlords arent charities.

Last edited by carnivalday; 09-08-2016 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 04:54 PM

583 posts, read 712,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You cant expect to convince a landlord you can pay rent when you dont make near enough money to. If you think $1000 a month is more than enough for you, you will be staying in the homeless shelter.

You also said in a previous thread you have a school loan you have to get paid off, which is around $300 a month.

Sorry. I didn't mean to quote your post... Not sure why it did that.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 PM

583 posts, read 712,601 times
It may be also that you aren't making as least 2 times the rent. A lot of places require you to make at minimum 2 times the rent. Definitely be careful before committing to paying money for application fees (those application fees add up since it is about $35.00 and sometimes as high as $75.00) and ask a lot of questions prior to diving in and applying. Some will work with you (about the requirements), but not very many will.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:00 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Sorry, but you need to just suck it up, either at the shelter or at home, or as someone else said, consider one or more roommates.

Most places require a stable job, rent of 40% or less of your net income, and deposits which are at least double the amount of rent OR they require a stable and mature adult to co-sign. Would your mom be willing to co-sign or at least loan you enough to get you started?

Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
I am having issues finding a home and need some advice.
First issue is my lack of rental history. I'm 19 and have none.

So what do I do?
Home.
Dorm.
Sharing someone else's home.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:45 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
You lack of credit and rental history is not the only problem. You simply do not make enough. Most landlord require that you make at least 3 times the rental amount. For a $600 apartment, you need to make at least $1800 a month.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 PM

So I'm either stuck in said shelter (yes its a ****ing shelter), living in a dorm which GOT me into this issue since they wouldn't allow new students into apartments for some unseen reason, or live with people which is the reason I'm moving?

If that's the case, I'll just look into renting a damn $400/month traphouse apartment, cause there's no way in hell I'm living here.

And to the idiot, yes idiot, who said my loans are $300/month, no they're not. Mines are income based and currently that is, for some reason, $50 or less.

I get roommates might be my only option, but I seriously have no patience for them. Not everyone is cut out for roommate life and I'm one of those people. Add to when I leave out for work, leave for the gym, and come back in general and I'd be one ****ty roommate. I leave to workout anywhere between 9:30 and 10pm and don't come back until 11 or so, as I am extremely hyper at night and need to work off the energy somehow. I also leave for the city, to see my brothers and friends, and usually don't return until well past 11pm. I'd be a terrible roommate and I don't want roommates. I simply want to finally live alone.

Plus I have no idea if said roommates will be homophobic or transphobic and guess who I am? St. Cloud might be safe but every city has its crazies and I don't feel like finally meeting one. In my own home.

I just want to live alone, not deal with people (especially since my testosterone dosage increased and I tend to be a raging ***** at times), and do my thing. Work, go home, chill, relax, rinse and repeat.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

Moderator cut: personal remarks

1) I thought that because it's my first time ever looking for a place, I thought twice the rent would be enough.
2) I know landlords aren't charities, they're people who might give me a new home but read #1 for the rest of what I would say.
and 3) $300 a month?

Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 09-18-2016 at 03:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting