Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 785 times

Advertisements

I ended up signing a 1 year lease with a girl who I sort of met before. After we moved in, she started bringing tons of people over all of the time like we were in college. I really enjoy my privacy and it's a small place so I had a talk with her and we mutually agreed to no guests on weekdays.

In our time living together, she has disrespected me a couple of times which I do not take lightly and she also started bringing people over again on weekdays without talking to me about it first. Her and her guests don't go into her room which I would appreciate, but rather stay in the kitchen cooking and talking in the living room for hours.

Given that she disrespected me in the past and sort of went against our informal agreement, I don't even want to greet or see her face around the place. I'm honestly not looking for friends and would actually prefer if we didn't even greet or talk to each other. I just did not want to make the place have a hostile environment but I'm starting to not care about that at all. Anyone ever had a roommate situation where you just ignored each other living in a small place and is this a bad idea? I think I'd be more comfortable not even acknowledging each other and pretend we don't know each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Perhaps next time you should discuss the "visitors situation" before you agree to become roommates with a nearly stranger. If you had asked this roommate if she enjoyed having friends over, maybe you would have moved on to the next possible roommate and saved yourself a lot of aggravation.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Sounds like you need to find yourself a studio and be done with the roomie business.

How did she 'disrespect you'?

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazirjones View Post
Anyone ever had a roommate situation where you just ignored each other living in a small place and is this a bad idea? I think I'd be more comfortable not even acknowledging each other and pretend we don't know each other.
Yeah. He's called my ex-husband.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:18 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah. He's called my ex-husband.

Same

But seriously Oh HECK NO would I stand for this roommate to be disrespecting me in my own home, that's a no! honestly while absolutely I would plan to start ignoring and living separately as possible, I would have a confrontation about the disrespect first!!

Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazirjones View Post
I'm honestly not looking for friends and would actually prefer if we didn't even greet or talk to each other.
Your post made me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w536Alnon24

Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM

22 posts, read 45,529 times
Yes I have a similiar experience. A week after signing a year long lease, I very quickly found out that my roommate is a racist and it all went down from there.. Luckily, there were three of us and the other roommate and I got along just fine. Soon enough my roommate and I stop talking or even acknowleding each other existence (and it's a very small space too. No living room, the only common areas are kitchen and bathroom)

If you hate to talk to your roommate and solve the problem that much then you just have to accept the fact that they probably won't keep that verbal promise you guys make. Let them do whatever they want and just move out after your lease ends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting