Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 AM

8 posts, read 6,931 times

Advertisements

My husband and I rented a house where we live with his grandmother and mother, the house is in shoddy condition and is extremely tight corders. His grandmother's health has declined to the point of her needing to be in a wheelchair and sometimes walker if she can handle it, this is impossible with the structure of the home. We need to move her to a place where it's not only accessible but where I can care for her, the current set up of the house makes this basically impossible as you come into the house on the second floor. My husband, 2 very young children, and I live on the bottom floor most easily accessible by a very unstable spiral staircase. This makes it so the only way I can watch out for her is to keep an ear out, which is obviously not ideal as she needs help with meals, at times getting out of bed and to the restroom, depending on her state a that day. As this is a difficult financial period for us with his grandmother's state as well as our second daughter being diagnosed with a genetic disorder that requires constant care and doctor visits, we cannot afford to be responsible for the remainder of the lease. I've read exemptions can be made for lease termination if it's a matter of health crisis but I'd like to make sure that our case qualifies under this law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:02 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Talk to the landlord. Explain the situation.

If he wants to play hardball, then re visit your legal options. Since an occupant has become disabled, I think you're ok to break the lease.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:54 AM

539 posts, read 567,053 times
All things set aside,

"We cannot afford to be responsible for the remainder of the lease."

Does that mean you found a better place to live and don't want the burden of paying for two residences? Or are you implying that a house with 4 ADULTS (and 2 kids) can not gather the funds to pay rent? (Again, other things set aside)

To answer your question, just be honest with your landlord and say A B C happened and being in such tight quarters in a wheelchair is becoming a burden. I doubt they'll say "sorry about your luck" Being a landlord may be their profession, but they're still people who understand.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:12 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
First, are you looking to get out of the lease because of your own personal financial situation or is it because the property is not suitable for the family's personal disability needs?

As a general rule, lease termination is a "reasonable accommodation" however, HUD and your state requires specific steps be taken before jumping on lease termination. if you do it correctly and it;s legitimate, you will be released; muff it up and this can end up hurting you.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was that we have found a suitable place but cannot afford to pay the reminder of this lease as well as the rent for the new place. The new place is actually more expensive but it's an absolutely necessary move, it's impossible for her to even move through doorways or maneuver the restroom in a wheelchair here. This has caused her to not use the wheelchair as she should be, which is extremely dangerous and worrisome to us all. We did not move in knowing she'd need accessibility, her health has rapidly declined in the few short months we've been here.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As a general rule, lease termination is a "reasonable accommodation" however, HUD and your state requires specific steps be taken before jumping on lease termination. if you do it correctly and it;s legitimate, you will be released; muff it up and this can end up hurting you.
Do you know these steps or how I can find them out? I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before we speak to the landlord in case he's less than understanding.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Maybe you ought to bring this up with your landlord instead of asking strangers on the internet. Explain the situation and make arrangement to terminate the lease early. You'll have to give proper written notice, for sure, and there might be a termination fee.

Your landlord should be willing to make a reasonable accommodation for the disability, but allowing you to leave with no notice would not be considered reasonable.

It's going to make a difference if the disabled grandmother is actually on the lease as a tenant or not.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 AM

I'm planning on speaking with him, I just like to be educated on the subject before going into things. It's always smart to know your rights!

We're not attempting to leave without notice, the owner of the (hopefully) new house is a family friend who is more than willing to give us the time we need.

She's on the lease as an occupant but my husband and I are the ones who signed the lease and are the actual tenants.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty in Cali View Post
My husband and I rented a house where we live with his grandmother and mother, the house is in shoddy condition and is extremely tight corders. His grandmother's health has declined to the point of her needing to be in a wheelchair and sometimes walker if she can handle it, this is impossible with the structure of the home. We need to move her to a place where it's not only accessible but where I can care for her, the current set up of the house makes this basically impossible as you come into the house on the second floor. My husband, 2 very young children, and I live on the bottom floor most easily accessible by a very unstable spiral staircase. This makes it so the only way I can watch out for her is to keep an ear out, which is obviously not ideal as she needs help with meals, at times getting out of bed and to the restroom, depending on her state a that day. As this is a difficult financial period for us with his grandmother's state as well as our second daughter being diagnosed with a genetic disorder that requires constant care and doctor visits, we cannot afford to be responsible for the remainder of the lease. I've read exemptions can be made for lease termination if it's a matter of health crisis but I'd like to make sure that our case qualifies under this law.
I'm assuming the Cali means you live in California.

Tenants Breaking a Lease in California | Nolo.com

The good news is that California law requires the landlord to make good faith effort to find a new renter. However, you might be held responsible for advertising costs and money lost, such as painting early. The above link goes into it briefly.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm assuming the Cali means you live in California.

Tenants Breaking a Lease in California | Nolo.com

The good news is that California law requires the landlord to make good faith effort to find a new renter. However, you might be held responsible for advertising costs and money lost, such as painting early. The above link goes into it briefly.
Thank you! The cost of advertising and such is much better than the $12,250 we'd be on the hook for if we had to pay out the lease!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting