Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That's actually interesting since in the rule itself it says "If the plaintiff is entitled to rent incurred after the judgment has been entered, then the plaintiff may seek that amount in a separate civil action." I know when I have been granted eviction I get a judgment for the entire month the eviction is happening plus any back rent and late fees. I've gone back for other damages later and got those judgments awarded too but I showed a full accounting including the prior judgment, I'm OCD about my record keeping and it pays off sometimes.

Slightly off topic: Even here in AZ where the process is fast and easy for a LL it is still a huge pain in the ass and is why I will never take someone with a past eviction.
Absolutely you should get those things, but that is not the same as getting rent for future months after they have been kicked off the property or forcing them to pay a professional pool man to clean a pool they legally no longer have access to or interest in. There is a reason landlords hesitate to evict; it almost always involves some additional monetary loss for them.

I do think some places make evictions far too difficult, but there really do need to be some disincentives to discourage landlords from automatically and immediately evicting instead of trying to work with the tenants. Most landlords try to be reasonable but there are some heartless folks out there who get in the business. Sonetimes there is a fine line between good business practices and cruelty. Common sense and decency ought to lead a person to realize that making a person, who doesn't have enough money to put a roof over their head, pay for utilities they are not allowed to use, let alone luxuries such as pool maintenance service and groundskeepers, is unreasonable. If that same landlord has their property foreclosed on for failing to make their mortgage payments they are not expected to continue to cut the grass, pay for utilities, or maintain the property in any way after the bank seizes the property and kicks them out, no matter how much they still owe the lender.

Perhaps this is as good of a time as any to remind people that karma can be a she-dog and unless you have a really nice cushion that person in financial quicksand could one day be you, so you might want to treat people in a way that you would like to be treated. Yes, you have to take a hardline sometimes because you aren't a charity but you should always operate in a way that most objective, disinterested parties would say is fair. Most people would say making an evicted tenant pay for pool upkeep after they aren't allowed on the property anymore isn't fair.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:38 AM

245 posts, read 291,888 times
if you can easily find a new/better tenant i would just let the current tenant break the lease and leave without a fee. not worth the hassle of chasing down rent every month until the end of this lease.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Absolutely you should get those things, but that is not the same as getting rent for future months after they have been kicked off the property or forcing them to pay a professional pool man to clean a pool they legally no longer have access to or interest in. There is a reason landlords hesitate to evict; it almost always involves some additional monetary loss for them.

I do think some places make evictions far too difficult, but there really do need to be some disincentives to discourage landlords from automatically and immediately evicting instead of trying to work with the tenants. Most landlords try to be reasonable but there are some heartless folks out there who get in the business. Sonetimes there is a fine line between good business practices and cruelty. Common sense and decency ought to lead a person to realize that making a person, who doesn't have enough money to put a roof over their head, pay for utilities they are not allowed to use, let alone luxuries such as pool maintenance service and groundskeepers, is unreasonable. If that same landlord has their property foreclosed on for failing to make their mortgage payments they are not expected to continue to cut the grass, pay for utilities, or maintain the property in any way after the bank seizes the property and kicks them out, no matter how much they still owe the lender.

Perhaps this is as good of a time as any to remind people that karma can be a she-dog and unless you have a really nice cushion that person in financial quicksand could one day be you, so you might want to treat people in a way that you would like to be treated. Yes, you have to take a hardline sometimes because you aren't a charity but you should always operate in a way that most objective, disinterested parties would say is fair. Most people would say making an evicted tenant pay for pool upkeep after they aren't allowed on the property anymore isn't fair.
Just to be clear here I wasn't commenting on the OPs nonsense. I believe all the extras he is trying to claim would never fly and he may well learn that one day. I just thought it was an actual interesting point Rabrrita brought up, much more interesting than the rest of this thread.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Closed upon Original Poster request...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting