Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,768,982 times

Advertisements

Hello. Our lease is up on Thanksgiving day, ironically. What is the usual time frame of when landlords/PM start sending out communications of options for lease renewals? I sent an email to the PM last week asking when we could expect a communication from them and got an email saying they will look into it. I know it's a bit early still but the suspense of whether or not we are to move or stay is killing my wife and I. Lol. We would like to stay but are afraid our rent will go up a very large percentage, thus is the reason why we saved a few thousand $$in case we move. I just have to say, moving sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Notice period can be anything from 30 days to 90 days, depending upon what state you live in.

Lots of landlords, though, just let the lease change into a month to month agreement when the lease period expires. What does your lease say about going month to month at the end of the lease term?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Notice period can be anything from 30 days to 90 days, depending upon what state you live in.

Lots of landlords, though, just let the lease change into a month to month agreement when the lease period expires. What does your lease say about going month to month at the end of the lease term?
My lease doesn't say anything about going month to month unless I choose to if I don't want to renew. I'm in Arizona.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Even if your landlord doesn't send out communication, you are required to communicate to them what your intention is. Find out your notice period and send in your notice: Renewing for another year, going month to month or vacating.

Call them and ask them directly if there will be an increase because you need to make a decision about your notice. You need to decide what's the highest increase you can handle and base your decision on that.

If you're required to give 60 days...you've already passed that

Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Even if your landlord doesn't send out communication, you are required to communicate to them what your intention is. Find out your notice period and send in your notice: Renewing for another year, going month to month or vacating.

Call them and ask them directly if there will be an increase because you need to make a decision about your notice. You need to decide what's the highest increase you can handle and base your decision on that.

If you're required to give 60 days...you've already passed that
Ok, thanks for the reply. I've been a renter all my adult life (18 years) and have always had either the property manager or landlord contact me to say "your lease is nearly up, here are your options ". Besides, I've already contacted them to request options. My landlord and property manager are the most incompetent entities out there.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:54 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,480,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Ok, thanks for the reply. I've been a renter all my adult life (18 years) and have always had either the property manager or landlord contact me to say "your lease is nearly up, here are your options ". Besides, I've already contacted them to request options. My landlord and property manager are the most incompetent entities out there.
If they don't get back to you I think it defaults to a M2M lease, unless there is a clause that you must be out when it terminates in absence of another lease.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:

What does your lease say about giving your notice?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What does your lease say about giving your notice?
All it says is 30 days notice.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,611 times
My last 2 landlords in PA sent the notices out 120 days before the lease expired. The apartment complex i moved into in June will sent out the renewal notices 60 days before the lease expires.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,611 times
Quote:
All it says is 30 days notice.
well if your lease ends around Thanksgiving then u should receive it the last week of October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting