Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 PM

193 posts, read 356,456 times

Advertisements

Every year when we renew our rental lease at my senior apartment, we are granted a free carpet cleaning.

My carpet was cleaned 11 hours ago, and I feel fortunate I was not injured as a consequence.

I got home about five hours after the cleaning, and the carpet was very damp. It is still quite damp.

I took off my wet socks and went barefoot into my kitchen. I almost went tumbling to the floor when slipping, but fortunately caught myself.

Apparently the damp residue remaining in the carpet is very slippery and sticky when transferred to feet, making it very easy to slip and fall when walking from carpet to floor. My floor is generally not slippery.

I therefore wanted some opinions on some questions.

Is this long lasting and slippery residue a normal and expected consequence of carpet cleaning, or should the cleaners have rid the carpet of this residue?

If this is a normal consequence of carpet cleaning, are they not legally obligated to leave a warning sign at my door expressing this potential hazzard and how to avoid it?

Thank goodness it did not come to this, but would I have had cause for legal action if I had truly gotten hurt from a fall?

May I request another company to clean my carpet next year, or will I have to pay for this myself due to a contractual obligation that our landlords have with this company?

Of course if this is indeed a normal consequence of all carpet cleaning, having someone else clean it would not matter.

I will learn more when I talk to our apartment manager, but I wanted input from some wise readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:55 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Wow.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:19 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Normal for them, negligent for you. Did you expect them to put down slippery when wet signs in your home?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
You knew the floor was wet so you should've taken precautions before walking on a hard surface with wet bare feet.

To answer your question: Yes, this is normal. The sticky stuff you're feeling is soap residue as most companies do not 'rinse' their carpets after cleaning. I'm assuming your manager used a company that gives a 'group' rate to complexes...they do all their carpet cleaning. If you want to hire someone else, it will likely come out of your pocket, or they will say no.

Legal action? Who are you going to sue? Yourself for not using common sense? Wow is right!!!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Shouldn't they vacuum the wet stuff more to make it dry faster? It sounds to me like it might be a poorly done job.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Shouldn't they vacuum the wet stuff more to make it dry faster? It sounds to me like it might be a poorly done job.
I've never had it dry when they finish.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 AM

54 posts, read 80,770 times
Might want to ask Bo and Luke Duke but damp carpet after cleaning is pretty standard for 24hrs or so. Maybe I should consult with counsel about the water my wife spilled in the kitchen last year that I slipped on and twisted my knee, she definitely didn't put up a sign...

Old 10-14-2016, 02:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Yeah, that is completely normal. Carpet takes a while to dry out after cleaning, and obviously wet/soapy feet will be somewhat slippery.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:53 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I've never had it as dripping wet as you seem to indicate. Water extracted well...including the soap. If not, it would just attract more dirt. In fact, after a storm where we got water in the house that soaked the carpet but not higher than that, I called our carpet cleaning company and asked if they could just use the extractor end of their cleaning to get the water out of the carpet since that always worked so well when they actually cleaned the carpet.

They said, you know what, we just started a damage dept...storm, etc. It went right along with their usual excellent water extraction.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:21 PM

193 posts, read 356,456 times
The floor was not wet at all, and neither were my feet. They seemed mildly damp at the most from walking on the carpet about three seconds on my way to the kitchen. Three seconds is all it took.

It did not even occur to me that this was something other than residual water from the carpet.

I had no idea it was not common practice to rinse the carpet after cleaning, and that this was not water.

The manager said that they are aware that this particular carpet tech leaves the carpet with too much wet residue sometimes, and that our maintainance man is supposed to check up on him to make sure the carpet is dry.

She said he must have not had time, or forgot to check on them.

I just told her that next year, I want to make sure I get a different tech.

Changing companies should not be necessary. Just send me a different person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting