Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 08:14 PM

196 posts, read 648,736 times

Advertisements

I'm buying my first property and will be a new landlord
Few questions I was hoping to get some help with

1. what are the best routes for advertising? What are the best websites I should be listing the property on?

2. A real estate company will advertise and screen clients for me including a credit pull at the tenant/applicant expense so would be free for me...I assume they list it in mls... Should I go this route or do it myself?

3. Can anyone recommend a website/company to use for doing background check, credit check, etc

4. The unit I plan to rent out is currently vacant, the tenant just moved out before the home was listed..Is it possible to start advertising the property with the current owners permission before closing on the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
I'm buying my first property and will be a new landlord
Few questions I was hoping to get some help with

1. what are the best routes for advertising? What are the best websites I should be listing the property on?

I used to use postlets but they got bought out. Last time I used Zillow rental manager and lots of other sites picked it up.

2. A real estate company will advertise and screen clients for me including a credit pull at the tenant/applicant expense so would be free for me...I assume they list it in mls... Should I go this route or do it myself?

I have DIY my rentals since I started. It gave me a good chance to meet the person.got a good feel for people and VERY involved in our properties. One thing I can tell you is very few PMCs will watch your money or properties as well as you will. There are a few but most IMO aren't good at all

3. Can anyone recommend a website/company to use for doing background check, credit check, etc

I use TransUnion smartmove. It's not expensive and gives me a good check. I like it because it doesn't do hard hits on applicants credit. And I don't collect any money. I give the info it's on them to get the info back to me completed. It's up to them. I don't call or chase you for info. I do still require a filled out application for records

4. The unit I plan to rent out is currently vacant, the tenant just moved out before the home was listed..Is it possible to start advertising the property with the current owners permission before closing on the house?

Not a good idea as the house really isn't yours. Another thing is get it rent ready and then start advertising it as move in ready. That's how I do it and I have people ready to go. the reason I say this is you're competing for tenants too. You want the best tenant you can get. Show them that your place is worth it. Clean repair and have it ready to go.

Response in bold

BTW welcome to the landlord/rental jungle

Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM

75 posts, read 60,046 times
If you want to advertise your property fast I would advise platforms that have syndication service. It means that by adding your listings into that one site you are actually uploading it to lots of others. So Zillow and Rentberry could your best bets in this case. These platforms also offer to run credit reports and background checks. The second one do tenant screening for free. Here https://rentberry.com/tenant-screening/ you can find a little more information on how screen prospective renters online.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Response in bold

[b]
I use TransUnion smartmove. It's not expensive and gives me a good check. I like it because it doesn't do hard hits on applicants credit. And I don't collect any money. I give the info it's on them to get the info back to me completed. It's up to them. I don't call or chase you for info. I do still require a filled out application for records ]/B]

BTW welcome to the landlord/rental jungle

why would an applicant use SmartMove? I have never been asked for bank account numbers on a rental application and I certainly would not volunteer that to TransUnion.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
why would an applicant use SmartMove? I have never been asked for bank account numbers on a rental application and I certainly would not volunteer that to TransUnion.
And who do you rent from again? Ah that's right. Some crazy drunk who rents the house and subleases a room to you. I'm sure he's a conscientious manager and takes care of the tenants.

You can do whatever you want. I dont much care what a applicant does when it comes to the application process. I give them the info and it's on them to get it back. That's it. You're a adult. You make your choices. It's the same for everyone. And that's the service I use for my background checks. Holy crap dude it's a soft hit on your record. I could do what everyone else does and go with hard hits and charge admin bs fees app fees etc. but I don't. What? You think I'm going to falsify your info and go take your $2000? Yeah I'm going to lose my freedom/life/money and get a criminal record just to take 2k out of your account. Riiiggghhhtttt.
It's simple. If you turn in a application with missing fields I simply deny and move on to the next applicant. It's not a negotiation. If you feel that my application is intrusive and you don't feel like giving me that info that's your choice. And it's my choice not to rent to you.
You go your way I go mine.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:58 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
and look at the ghetto slum you live in!

Old 10-30-2016, 03:47 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
Just because you give all your info to MySmartMove doesn't mean the landlord gets all of it, does it? And why would you give your bank account number? Why not just use a credit card to pay for MySmartMove?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Don't start renting the place out before you own it. Legal quagmire there.

Learn the laws where the property is. Read some books:

Landlord Books - Nolo

The best place to advertise, is where your target tenant will see it. I developed a niche for law students, and advertised at the law school. If you advertise to the world, you will be doing major screening.

Remember the most important thing you can do is write up your criteria and stick to it. No matter what. No matter how cute they are or how charming, or how much you'd like to help them...con artists are good at making you like them so much, you make bad decisions regarding letting them move in when you shouldn't.

Pre-screen over the phone. I let all calls go to voicemail, then call them back when I'm ready. Keep a notebook of each call and why you didn't call them back (screaming obscenities at their kids while leaving you a voicemail - you don't have to rent to people who scream obscenities at their kids), or the result of your pre-screening them over the phone.

Remember that it's your job to discriminate. There are very few things you can't discriminate for. But, it's perfectly legal to discriminate based on rude behavior, showing up late, smelling of pot or smoke, not filling out their application completely (you don't have to beg them - just deny them), etc.

I suggest you manage the place yourself. Just learn your laws and put together your criteria. Unfortunately, managers don't always have your best interests at heart. If you manage it, you keep control and all your profits.

I also think smartmove is a great option for new landlords. And, if your criteria includes that they must be approved or recommended by smartmove, that makes it easier to deny someone. "I'm sorry, you weren't approved by the service I use."

The criteria not only keeps you from getting conned, and minimizing your potential problems, it also keeps you in compliance with fair housing.

And, if someone says they have a service dog, hand them the HUD letter to have filled out by their doctor and require it to be faxed back to you from their doctor's office, then make sure it's a real office. That should keep any potential scammers trying to get you to take their dogs:

portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DOC_7399.doc

It can seem overwhelming, but it's just a matter of learning. It's a new business you are learning. But, it's not a huge body of law to learn. Learn the laws, use the Nolo contract, if they have one for your city/state or get a contract from the local apartment association, use smartmove, etc.

Oh, and I really recommend at least starting out with month to month contracts only. That's all I used in a 25 unit apartment building. You keep control with M2M contracts. You can kick them out with 30 days notice, you can change rules with 30 days notice, too.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting