Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:46 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
HUD!!! Take her to the Nearest HUD office. They will go by her income. Take her to the Nearest Woman Shelter... they too can help her.

Feeling sorry for someone is NOT a good reason to rent to them.
I don't want to get personally involved, because this story is just too fishy. It might all be true, but she can't pay what I've asked to move in, and I've directed her to several resources. She told me that she needed to work from home so couldn't use those. I wish I knew how to tell if she was telling the truth and if she was going to be reliable or not. I guess having a teenager isn't a tale-tell sign of honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 PM

74 posts, read 142,633 times
If you really feel you need to help people in the world, say NO to this woman and then go and make a donation to your local homeless shelter! You'd be helping without the possibility of getting ripped off or evicted yourself. It's a win-win!

Old 10-30-2016, 06:05 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
[/b]

I really need information on this. I'm not at all comfortable with this arrangement, but I don't want her to suffer...She said she contacted the shelters; they had a waiting list. She said she contacted extended-stay hotels; they didn't have a wired-in internet connection (she claims to work from home and says she needs a wired internet connection to do so, as wireless isn't secure. I'm not really buying that, but anyway.)
Your last sentence sounds like you believe she is lying.

and, even after drawing that conclusion you say.........." but anyway "...........?

Go ahead and invite her in. What do you have to lose? It's a "win/win"....SARC

Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahagal View Post
If you really feel you need to help people in the world, say NO to this woman and then go and make a donation to your local homeless shelter! You'd be helping without the possibility of getting ripped off or evicted yourself. It's a win-win!
I think I'll do way more investigating and continue to offer suggestions via email (I'm not answering my phone anymore when she calls right now. I'm tired of hearing this sob story.) Really, though, I gave her options. She said she didn't trust my old landlady (I put her in contact with her.). She said that she didn't want to live away from a certain area. She also mentioned that the women's shelters are night shelters, and she works from home, so that wouldn't work for her...

Old 10-30-2016, 07:00 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Again... why lay this on strangers?

Family and friends are always willing to help 99% of the time unless those bridges have been burned.

I've rented to young individuals starting out with parental co-signer... then I get a call from the parent asking to be removed/released... yeah, right?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Again... why lay this on strangers?

Family and friends are always willing to help 99% of the time unless those bridges have been burned.

I've rented to young individuals starting out with parental co-signer... then I get a call from the parent asking to be removed/released... yeah, right?
Well, the story she gave me is that she's older and her mom is going into a home (maybe there are problems like dementia?). If her parents are too old and she has no siblings, I could see relying on family not being a possibility.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
You really do need to read the thread that the link posted is on.

Reposting again: //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...us-tenant.html

There are scammers with kids out there. This person that you are considering will always have an excuse for not having rent money ready, for not cleaning up after her and her kid, for needing you to watch her child.... The list Will be endless.

She already has an excuse for why she can't go to a shelter or any of the ideas that you've already given her.

The pattern is there, just read what you've written

She knows you feel bad for her, now she is just trying to reel you in.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Well, the story she gave me is that she's older and her mom is going into a home (maybe there are problems like dementia?). If her parents are too old and she has no siblings, I could see relying on family not being a possibility.
I assume you are still in Mobile so here is a site with lots of numbers of people who help people in her situation all the time: Mobile Homeless Shelters and Services - Mobile AL Homeless Shelters - Mobile Alabama Homeless Shelters

If you need a different city/county I will be thrilled to find a similar site for that area.

Do not bring this woman in your home. You need to concentrate on taking care of yourself right now. Maybe you should be the one looking on Craigslist for people who are looking for a roommate, instead of advertising for one.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
I think I'll do way more investigating and continue to offer suggestions via email (I'm not answering my phone anymore when she calls right now. I'm tired of hearing this sob story.) Really, though, I gave her options. She said she didn't trust my old landlady (I put her in contact with her.). She said that she didn't want to live away from a certain area. She also mentioned that the women's shelters are night shelters, and she works from home, so that wouldn't work for her...
Libraries are great places for her to go all day long---and they have wired internet she can use OR she can hang out at McDonalds and use their wireless network.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:23 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't sure which ones to ask. I don't know; emotional appeals are very strong to me, but I don't want to be conned. If I move to that two bedroom apartment and take her in, and she turns out to be a con, I would have done what I felt was right. I just don't want to give her or anyone the impression that I'm the kind of person who would find helpless mom and child and put them out on the streets.

It's not about being con. She's probably telling you a lot of the truth - if she is trying to con you she'd have told you the Nigerian prince story - "I have lots of money but is temporary tied up right now. My credit is low due to bad luck. Why don't you let me move in first and I will pay you later?"

The key question is NOT whether she is lying to you, it's whether she can pay rent. And from what you've told me, you don't have the slightest idea of the answer to that question. And judging her circumstance, the answer to this question is very likely a "no".

Quote:
... Or maybe her siblings have restraining orders on her?!

Look, this is not something for you to just guess. You need to know the answers to these questions already and the fact that you didn't ask her is alarming.

Notice I am not saying: Don't help her. I am saying: Find out more before you decide to help her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting