Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I'm seeking some odd advice. My question is for Michigan laws. I have this "friend" (okay, boss), who told me today some drama that he's been going through. To make a long story as close to the point as I can, he has been renting out parts of his house. He rents out his basement, and he rents out 2 rooms of his house. As he was venting to me, he was telling me that his girlfriend (who also pays him) had this best friend with 2 kids that moved into those rooms because the boyfriend kicked them out so he let them pay $500 a month to live there, she's been there for about 6 months, the basement guy is charged $700, he's been there almost 2 years. My boss commented on how sick he was of the woman's drama and babydaddy drama and her uncleanliness, which he described as leaving a glass on the coffee table overnight. (Communal living room and kitchen)

He commented about how he's has enough and says one more time he's done he's kicking the woman and 2 kids out. I said no, you can't do that, it doesn't work that way, you're a landlord, there are laws you have to follow. He asked what laws, and I replied, you seriously don't lmow.anything about the laws you have to follow as a landlord? You can't just kick people out, they live there, you have to give them a move out 30 day notice, and you can't touch their things. He kinda started arguing with me, saying it's his house he can do whatever the f he likes, they are his roommates. I asked him, do they pay you rent? Yes? Then you're a landlord, not a roommate. Roommate suggests you both pay to a higher individual. The day you accepted money was the day you became a landlord. Then a coworker got involved and said, no it's hid house he can do whatever he darn well pleases. I shut down and said okay, sorry, nevermind, forget it.

Was I wrong im saying that he is a landlord? He kept telling me it's all just roommate stuff, and that it's cash under the table, and the basement guy had a lease the woman didn't. TO make things worse, he's from a different country, so he REALLY didn't bother looking up any laws, so who is this 23 year old girl to tell some 40 some year old guy the laws of the land? Other things were said which I can say if asked about. I KNOW legal advice can't be given, I'm looking for either someone to correct me or someone to tell me I was rigt in saying it, even though it wasn't my business, lol.

I know it was long, thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 10:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
You should probably not get involved. If you want send him this link it has all the applicable laws, but I wouldn't.

https://www.landlordology.com/michig...d-tenant-laws/

Old 11-03-2016, 10:12 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Roommate or LL of an apt HE IS a LANDLORD! No Lease He has to go by State & Local Laws to remove anyone.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
The most involved I would get would to give him a copy of the MI Landlord/Tenant Handbook and then back away.

Don't give advice, he doesn't want it.Don't bring his drama into your life, you don't want it.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Hello, everyone. I'm seeking some odd advice. My question is for Michigan laws. I have this "friend" (okay, boss), who told me today some drama that he's been going through. To make a long story as close to the point as I can, he has been renting out parts of his house. He rents out his basement, and he rents out 2 rooms of his house. As he was venting to me, he was telling me that his girlfriend (who also pays him) had this best friend with 2 kids that moved into those rooms because the boyfriend kicked them out so he let them pay $500 a month to live there, she's been there for about 6 months, the basement guy is charged $700, he's been there almost 2 years. My boss commented on how sick he was of the woman's drama and babydaddy drama and her uncleanliness, which he described as leaving a glass on the coffee table overnight. (Communal living room and kitchen)

He commented about how he's has enough and says one more time he's done he's kicking the woman and 2 kids out. I said no, you can't do that, it doesn't work that way, you're a landlord, there are laws you have to follow. He asked what laws, and I replied, you seriously don't lmow.anything about the laws you have to follow as a landlord? You can't just kick people out, they live there, you have to give them a move out 30 day notice, and you can't touch their things. He kinda started arguing with me, saying it's his house he can do whatever the f he likes, they are his roommates. I asked him, do they pay you rent? Yes? Then you're a landlord, not a roommate. Roommate suggests you both pay to a higher individual. The day you accepted money was the day you became a landlord. Then a coworker got involved and said, no it's hid house he can do whatever he darn well pleases. I shut down and said okay, sorry, nevermind, forget it.

Was I wrong im saying that he is a landlord? He kept telling me it's all just roommate stuff, and that it's cash under the table, and the basement guy had a lease the woman didn't. TO make things worse, he's from a different country, so he REALLY didn't bother looking up any laws, so who is this 23 year old girl to tell some 40 some year old guy the laws of the land? Other things were said which I can say if asked about. I KNOW legal advice can't be given, I'm looking for either someone to correct me or someone to tell me I was rigt in saying it, even though it wasn't my business, lol.

I know it was long, thank you for reading.
I wouldn't get involved. He can kick them out, it's up to them to accept it or fight it. If they call the police then he will learn his lesson. He doesn't know the laws that pertain to roommates and housing laws, hopefully the tenants don't know either.

He sounds like someone I know who thinks he knows everything. Let him find out the hard way. Don't argue with him.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 11-04-2016 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 06:10 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
This is your boss. Do you really want to go back to him and argue about his personal business based on some internet information? MYOB or look for a new job.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:27 AM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
Just letting everyone know, he told me about all this info. Starting out with, "You know what's making me angry right now? " a I said, "What? " and that is what happened. He went as far as to showing me texts on his phone between him and his gf about it, and asking me what I thought about it and asking me, "how crazy is this?". I wasn't the one prying, he came to me, he was leaning on my desk, he vented everything to me.

My question wasn't if I should get involved. The conversation is done and over with. My question was, everyone was telling me it's his house he can do whatever he damn well pleases giving me a horribly confused look when I said he can't just, "throw them and their stuff out when you're a landlord." Is he or is he not a landlord? Is his statements legal or illegal? Was I in the right to say, no that's not how United States laws work? (I didn't literally phrase it like that either)

I'm not going into work wanting to rehash this dilemma. I'm looking at if people told me I didn't know what I was talking about because I'm young and not in a management position. Because after another coworker came in, I second guessed myself and didn't want to give out inaccurate information. Because what if my information was inaccurate when HE ASKED for my thoughts? This is what I can't stop thinking about.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I expect that Michigan law will probably agree with you...he is a landlord and subject to the landlord-tenant laws of the state. He might also be in violation of local laws but since you are looking primarily for affirmation that your instincts were right, I think you were.

As for advice, when you find yourself in a spot like this again, you might try approaching it in a different way so you don't put yourself at any jeopardy with your boss. For example, say something like "I might be wrong but I think XYZ. Why don't you google it and see what you can find out...just so you protect yourself." That way, you aren't stating a fact that might be upsetting or wrong but you are showing that person that there might be another aspect of the story that he needs to consider. Then offer a solution (google it) in a supportive way.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Is he or is he not a landlord? Is his statements legal or illegal? Was I in the right to say, no that's not how United States laws work? (I didn't literally phrase it like that either)
Yes he is a landlord. Even if you let someone live in your house for free and you want them gone they can stay until you evict them, you are still considered their landlord. Even if you are a renter and have a landlord and you rent out a second room you are that person's landlord.

His statements are not illegal in the sense that he will get thrown in jail for his right to free speech. If he threatens someone that is illegal. Yes you are right to say that's not how it works, but you can't argue with a fool like him who already knows what he knows because that makes you a fool too.

He has to abide by every federal, local and state laws in regards to tenants in his home.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I expect that Michigan law will probably agree with you...he is a landlord and subject to the landlord-tenant laws of the state. He might also be in violation of local laws but since you are looking primarily for affirmation that your instincts were right, I think you were.

As for advice, when you find yourself in a spot like this again, you might try approaching it in a different way so you don't put yourself at any jeopardy with your boss. For example, say something like "I might be wrong but I think XYZ. Why don't you google it and see what you can find out...just so you protect yourself." That way, you aren't stating a fact that might be upsetting or wrong but you are showing that person that there might be another aspect of the story that he needs to consider. Then offer a solution (google it) in a supportive way.
^^^^ Agree! Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting