Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:42 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Tell them to call the police, the police won't do anything but talk to you and you can explain the situation.

you don't have to tip toe in your own home. Just try to wear slippers while home, bare feet sometimes make noise on wood or tile or laminate floor when you walk. If you can hear it so can they.

You've done everything you can.

If it were me I would keep stomping. I'm sure you even aren't.

Noise complaints are usually for people playing loud music late at night.

Try to get some area rugs for the bed so when they jump off they don't make noise.

I would deny the noise and tell the to move if they don't like it.

You are allowed to have dogs,, they should move to an apartment that doesn't allow pets if dogs bother them.
Indeed. Also, OP, when are quiet hours in your building. If all of this is taking place outside of quiet hours, you have an even stronger argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 12:55 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
1) Crate train them. Wake up earlier to run the energy off in the morning.
2) Ask the apartment complex to move you to a first floor unit.
3) Take the dogs to a vet for proper nail trimmings. They can be cut way back if done over time by a vet and a groomer won't do it. Nails can make a lot of noise.
4) Ignore them and see what happens.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Room size rugs/carpets with thick padding do wonders for cutting down on ordinary household noises such as those created by walking and children/dogs playing. If your floors are not already carpeted this will make a huge difference.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You could kennel your dogs overnight, and take them out immediately. Get up an hour earlier and run them around the neighborhood to help them burn energy. You need to live like you are in an apartment above neighbors.....which you are.
The OP said they already take the dogs to the park 5-6 times a day to run off energy.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
1)
3) Take the dogs to a vet for proper nail trimmings. They can be cut way back if done over time by a vet and a groomer won't do it. Nails can make a lot of noise.
Dogs have a blood vessel called a quick in their nails, if it's cut it's very painful and you need special powder to stop the bleeding.

I found that vets can be impatient when trimming nails.

The best way is to have a groomer dremel the nails, and not to let them grow too long because the quick can grow too. Some groomers won't dremel when they get long so they will cut, but I found one who will dremel them and the dogs prefer that.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Dogs have a blood vessel called a quick in their nails, if it's cut it's very painful and you need special powder to stop the bleeding.

I found that vets can be impatient when trimming nails.

The best way is to have a groomer dremel the nails, and not to let them grow too long because the quick can grow too. Some groomers won't dremel when they get long so they will cut, but I found one who will dremel them and the dogs prefer that.
I'm aware of what it is. I also know that it can recede if given proper attention hence why I said done over time. Conversely if you don't keep the nails trimmed down it will grow out. If your vet is careless and cuts it then you need a new vet, I've never had that problem and I only have my dogs nails and teeth done at the vet.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:11 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
I doubt the dogs' nails are what is causing all the noise when they're jumping off of furniture. My dog doesn't have any nails ( don't worry, I didn't declare my dog. Its a medical problem), but I'm sure my downstairs neighbor can still hear him bouncing around.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:03 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You could kennel your dogs overnight, and take them out immediately. Get up an hour earlier and run them around the neighborhood to help them burn energy. You need to live like you are in an apartment above neighbors.....which you are.
Maybe the downstairs neighbors need to learn to live in a downstairs apartment. When you live below people, you hear noises. Including heavy footed people.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
OP, you are allowed to make normal living noise. Use some consideration and other than that, ignore the downstairs neighbor. They have chosen a poor option for a person who is noise sensitive and that is not your responsibility.

Barking is not OK, but you stopped that with bark collars. You and the dogs are allowed to move around. I suggest that you purchase some thick pretty throw rugs and place them in the area where the dogs are jumping off the furniture. That will muffle the noise slightly and you get to take those pretty rugs to your new house when you buy it.

I suspect that your downstairs neighbor complained about the last tenants in your apartment, so the office most likely has her pegged as a complainer, which tends to get people's complaints ignored.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:29 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Room size rugs/carpets with thick padding do wonders for cutting down on ordinary household noises such as those created by walking and children/dogs playing. If your floors are not already carpeted this will make a huge difference.
Rugs don't necessarily help. I live in an upstairs unit (been here 8yrs, never had noise issues until the past yr). The tenants below me (they moved in about a yr ago) are very loud - loud talkers, frequent bickering. door slamming, they have a dog, and they keep their 2 yr old grandson every other week.......he runs/stomps CONSTANTLY. I've complained to landlord many times, and tenants and I had a talk wherein they said they got some rugs. The rugs don't help AT ALL. I know about toddlers, but most aren't allowed to run/stomp inside like this kid is allowed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting