Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2016, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,416 times

Advertisements

I've moved into an apartment on a 1 year lease. I've only spent 3 days here and already I'm having allergic/asthmatic issues. The hallways of the apartment are smokey and it seeps into the room. The heating is forced and blows in dry heat constantly. I've opened every window and bought 2 air filters and still can't handle it. They also put in new carpet and the chemical odour just doesnt seem to pass. I have pre-existing health issues already and it's causing constant flair ups.

With that said, I'm wondering the best way to approach getting out of the lease without being forced to pay the remainder of the contract. I know it varies based on geography, but I also know there are loopholes and valid reasons that can be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Too bad that the clean halls turned smoky after you moved in and the apartment added new carpeting after you signed the lease. Sometimes life can be rough.

Your best bet is to go and talk to your landlord, but I seriously doubt that you will get out of your lease for free. You'll be able to terminate the lease, but there will be a cost.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Hard to say without knowing where you are. Your use of odour signals you aren't in the US though that could be a mistake. If you are in the US you might have a claim for health reasons but that can be quite complicated for something so minor. This falls to a due diligence issue, you should have checked the place out before you moved in. Get an air purifier, get the carpets clean, ask the apartment to put new weather seals on the door to keep the smoke out. Or you can just go talk to them and see what they can do.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzajar View Post
I've moved into an apartment on a 1 year lease. I've only spent 3 days here and already I'm having allergic/asthmatic issues. The hallways of the apartment are smokey and it seeps into the room. The heating is forced and blows in dry heat constantly. I've opened every window and bought 2 air filters and still can't handle it. They also put in new carpet and the chemical odour just doesnt seem to pass. I have pre-existing health issues already and it's causing constant flair ups.

With that said, I'm wondering the best way to approach getting out of the lease without being forced to pay the remainder of the contract. I know it varies based on geography, but I also know there are loopholes and valid reasons that can be made.
Well, read your lease and see what it says about early termination and follow the process to a T.

Your pre existing health conditions are yours and you should know how to manage them. If you know forced heat is going to bother you, find a place that uses hot water heat. If you know the smell of new carpet annoys you, find the place with a hard floor or old carpet.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:39 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Put Moisture in the air. Boil a pan of water on the stove... then put it on Lowww. Buy a Vicks Steamer. I use mine with out the Vicks unless I have a Cold. Towel along the door will help with smoke in hallways.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:07 PM

539 posts, read 567,053 times
This is a first. Complaints about getting new carpet.

If you've rented before, you should have known your triggers. You should have asked to see how the heat works. Tested how drafty the place was. Smelled the hallway. The smoking issue should have been noticed right away if you're THAT sensitive.

Totally agree with AZ Manager, due diligence.

If you're suffering, pay the lease termination fees. They aren't just there for the landlords, ya know.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzajar View Post

Whether or not there are penalties for breaking your lease early, depends on your state. But, here's some info:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter9-5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting