Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM

1,281 posts, read 770,652 times

Advertisements

I came home this evening and saw a letter in my door from the rental office which scared me because I thought it was telling me I had to move. But it was the lease renewal explaining the rent is going up and giving me the option to continue my lease or go elsewhere. I was surprised it came so early since my lease does not end until 4/30 which is almost six months from now. Does the lease renewal normally come this far in advance when not dealing with a private landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM

13,911 posts, read 39,107,922 times
Yes if everyone is getting their rent raised. BUT wont go into effect until your current lease Ends.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 PM

837 posts, read 1,699,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I came home this evening and saw a letter in my door from the rental office which scared me because I thought it was telling me I had to move. But it was the lease renewal explaining the rent is going up and giving me the option to continue my lease or go elsewhere. I was surprised it came so early since my lease does not end until 4/30 which is almost six months from now. Does the lease renewal normally come this far in advance when not dealing with a private landlord?
Your lease (the one you signed when moving in) will tell you how much notice is given for raising the rent/lease renewal. In my experience, one month used to be common and now two months seems common. It's not unusual for an apartment to give you notice a couple weeks earlier than the lease requires. It's a little freaky, but as earlier poster says, your rent won't go up until the new rental period starts. The early notice just gives you more time to plan if you decide to move.

However, if my lease said two months notice and they gave me six months notice, I would contact the landlord/manager to make sure they are not in error--someone may be confusing you with a different tenant.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Your lease (the one you signed when moving in) will tell you how much notice is given for raising the rent/lease renewal. In my experience, one month used to be common and now two months seems common. It's not unusual for an apartment to give you notice a couple weeks earlier than the lease requires. It's a little freaky, but as earlier poster says, your rent won't go up until the new rental period starts. The early notice just gives you more time to plan if you decide to move.

However, if my lease said two months notice and they gave me six months notice, I would contact the landlord/manager to make sure they are not in error--someone may be confusing you with a different tenant.
Yes I was notified the rent goes up in May but was just shocked at how much in advance the renewal came before the lease ended.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
No, that's not normal. I think it's really weird. What does your lease say regarding notice to move, etc.? If it's the normal 30 or 60 days, I'd just ignore the notice, and if they bugged me, I'd tell them I'll decide closer to the end of the lease.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, that's not normal. I think it's really weird. What does your lease say regarding notice to move, etc.? If it's the normal 30 or 60 days, I'd just ignore the notice, and if they bugged me, I'd tell them I'll decide closer to the end of the lease.
The website is down so I can't see what the lease says right now but they have me until 1/21/17 to decided if I will renew the lease.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:38 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,657,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
The website is down so I can't see what the lease says right now but they have me until 1/21/17 to decided if I will renew the lease.
That is still well over 90 days prior to your renewal date that they are asking you to make a decision by which doesn't sound right. I would definitely check your lease when you are able to and let us know exactly what it states for notice requirements for renewing or non-renewing. And also, what state do you reside in?

I would also make sure to print a copy of your lease for your records. It is always a good idea (and important) to have a hard copy for your records.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
That is still well over 90 days prior to your renewal date that they are asking you to make a decision by which doesn't sound right. I would definitely check your lease when you are able to and let us know exactly what it states for notice requirements for renewing or non-renewing. And also, what state do you reside in?

I would also make sure to print a copy of your lease for your records. It is always a good idea (and important) to have a hard copy for your records.

I'm in PA and just read the lease which states tenant should get 60 days notice prior to the end of the lease. So that's why I was so surprised because the lease doesn't end until 4/30. My cousin stated maybe they have a waiting list of people who want to move in and they are trying to find out who wants to stay.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,237,361 times
It's possible they have several new tenants moving in at higher rates and they were just concerned that informal conversations will go down the path of comparing rents. That way, if your new neighbor discovers your rent s/he won't feel ripped off knowing at renewal you will have an increase to the same rent being paid by newbies.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
It's possible they have several new tenants moving in at higher rates and they were just concerned that informal conversations will go down the path of comparing rents. That way, if your new neighbor discovers your rent s/he won't feel ripped off knowing at renewal you will have an increase to the same rent being paid by newbies.
How would a new neighbor know what someone rent is who has already been a tenant.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting