Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This.

I had tenants with pets. And those pets for the most part were undeclared. They simply hid or moved them when I came over. I could tell there were pets but I could never prove it. After repairs I didn't take pets for a long time.

I have two tenants currently with pets. But they declared them and paid the required deposits. i charge a hefty pet deposit. The houses are clean and they pick up after the dogs and the dogs are well behaved.

In the OP's case I would of replaced the carpet before they moved in if it was stained and burned they would be responsible for damages. I replaced $2400 worth of carpet recently because the cleaning guy couldn't get the old carpet high traffic dirt areas and some of the smells out. I could of rented it as is and saved my money but I don't like to have any complaints.

I would be charging for the pet damage that OP did. The existing damage wouldn't be her issue but the additional damage would. I have two tenants who have pets. Both houses are immaculate. I take HEFTY deposits. Why do people think they shouldn't be charged for damage because there was existing damage.
Fir all we know the LL took in account the damaged carpet and adjusted the rent accordingly
How would you charge for the pet damage but not the cigarette burns and general condition prior to move-in? OP already tried to hire a carpet repair pro and he couldn't fix it, so this carpet needs to be replaced. You'll be in a situation where you have to apportion the replacement between normal wear and tear (on an old carpet), existing damage, and new damage.

A "but for" question arises here- are you only replacing the carpet because of the damage, or would you have replaced a 7+ year old, cigarette burned, stained carpet anyway? If you would have done it anyway, it would be hard to prove that the tenant would be on the hook even for a dime of it.

It's a tough situation but that's why I treat carpet like wear items. After 5 years, pretty much anything the tenant did wouldn't matter, especially if it was already worn to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Poor dog... Why did you even get a dog you had no plans to train?

Old 11-12-2016, 02:45 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
I live in an apt complex and I have a dog. My dog has chewed holes on my living room and bedroom carpets. I had a carpet company come out and try patching the holes and they took a closet piece out to patch it. My dog has chewed the holes out from the living room but the bedroom ones are still intacted. The carpet guy told me to lie to the apt mgr and gave me samples he cut out and it does show the backing and yarn separated from each other. He basically told me to lie and say the carpetfibers are coming out as I vaccuum. The carpet is on the cheaper end I can tell and had been here 4-5 years. On top of that, it had stains all over it that I cleaned and cigarette burn marks so it should've been replaced before I moved in. They probably thought to wait to replace since I have a dog he might tear it up and I'd be responsible for the cost. Would there be any way for them to prove that I'm lying? It's either lie or be stuck with a thousand dollar bill even after security deposit would be taken. The carpet company owner said my apt mgr can call him with questions.
Hilarious. Do you think the landlord is stupid? So the carpet fibers are coming out as you vaccuum? Thats a good one.

Did you document when you moved in, that the carpet was stained and had burn marks?

What happens when the landlord looks in the closet where you took the piece from?

You probably wont be liable for new carpet, since there is depreciation, but you will certainly be on the hook for damage.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Are you just going to keep creating new posts until you get the answer you seek ?

Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Well, he can't blame the dog for the cigarette burns.

I think the apt. mgr probably knows you aren't telling the truth. I put a baby gate up for my dog, and she still somehow ended up on the other side. There is no way her butt went through the slats of the railing so she climbed it somehow. A friend told me her dog does the same thing.

He said he will take a look. And that is what he will do. We have no idea of whether you will get away with this because we don't know what the carpet looked like before and now.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:33 PM

50 posts, read 51,946 times
The carpet samples actually show the carpet has delaminated and that is what the carpet guy told me. I couldn't think of the word bc I'd never heard of it. Hopefully this helps my case.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Just tell the TRUTH Either way YOU will be charged.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
I'm guessing a rough estimate of 650 square feet for all the damage. How often do landlords go after more than the deposit? I told him I am not made of money.
The LL can charge what it cost to replace it/fix it/age of it...so if thats all $500 of the deposit or $5000, thats what he can charge. In ohio he has to show receipts. he doesnt call anyone. he doesnt ask for your thoughts, feeling or opinions. Your state may be different.

650ft of damage is quite a bit. That is the size of our old apartment! ( the WHOLE apartment). You MAY have been ok if it was a small spot but thats a large chunk.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:49 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
I'm guessing a rough estimate of 650 square feet for all the damage. How often do landlords go after more than the deposit? I told him I am not made of money.
When referencing "damage" to carpet, the general rule is the landlord can charge for the depreciated cost to replace the carpet, not just the damaged spot or room, but the whole shabang. So, you can be technically on the hook for the entire replacement cost (carpet, installation, disposal) pro-rated for the remaining depreciated life of the old carpet.

How often do they come after the person for the balance if the deposit doesn't cover it? If you admit your mistake, try to work it our and come to some agreement, they will generally work with you. but, if you go all stupid and try to be an arse, they usually will sue for the balance. Even if they know your probably can't pay, they do it just to get that court judgement on record. That judgement can ********* up for credit, another rental, mortgages, and even employment. So, it's a powerful tool they have against irresponsible tenants.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
People like you are why good and honest pet owners have to pay ridiculous fees and deposits. Train your dog, get rid of your dog or take responsibility for your dog and pay for the frickin carpet that it destroyed.

I hope your landlord charges you out the wazoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting