Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There are states that prohibit HOA's (or similar) from outright barring small pets in certain housing, but no state I know allows a municipality to force a stakeholder from setting limits below the maximum municipal law. If the local law says a maximum of 4, the stakeholders can set from 0-4, not one over but certain as many under as they want. We'll need to actually read the law as it contradicts what we know of all states.
I wasn't talking about small pets. I understand laws can vary from state to state. I was just saying that certain State/city/government do have more say over the HOA's rule for enforcing the dog bylaws.

My city law states 4 personal dogs. (no weight limit). There absolutely are exceptions when it comes to "work" dogs (city/state/government owned dogs) The HOA rules do not apply for the residents, in my state, who house these dogs.

There may always be exceptions to the "dog rule" is the point I was trying to make. I guess it just depends on where you live, whether or not legislative/state/city laws override HOA bylaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I never said HOA can go over city ordinance. I said the city law overrides HOA bylaw (at least where I live, which is why I asked the OP where he lived). Maybe it's different in each state.

My HOA bylaw says 2 max dogs. The city says 4 adult dogs. That does not include puppies. I'm not 100% sure but it may be up to 15 for under 6 months old.

I had my 4 "pet" dogs living with me in my house. The HOA could not enforce the two dog rule. All the other dogs I had either belonged to the city/state. HOA did not have the authority to enforce any "rules" over them, nor could they fine me for having them in addition to my "pet" dogs.
Okay, then you need to explain the bolded part. Why can't the HOA enforce the 2 dog rule if they are 'pets' and not service or support animals? This is the part that is not making sense and exactly what I have been trying to explain to you. You keep referring to the city ordinance which has nothing to do with the HOA bylaws other than if the HOA stated that you could have more than 4 dogs because then the HOA would be in violation of the ordinance. That is the only reason that ordinance would come in to play here.

ETA: we were posting at the same time so now this will be confusing. You had stated they were 'pets', not 'work' dogs as you now just stated above while we were posting at the same time. But it still doesn't make sense on being allowed the 4 'pet' dogs as you stated in bold above if the HOA rule was only 2 dogs allowed. 'Working' dogs or service/support animals I can understand but not 'pet' dogs.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:00 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Okay, then you need to explain the bolded part. Why can't the HOA enforce the 2 dog rule if they are 'pets' and not service or support animals? This is the part that is not making sense and exactly what I have been trying to explain to you. You keep referring to the city ordinance which has nothing to do with the HOA bylaws other than if the HOA stated that you could have more than 4 dogs because then the HOA would be in violation of the ordinance. That is the only reason that ordinance would come in to play here.

ETA: we were posting at the same time so now this will be confusing. You had stated they were 'pets', not 'work' dogs as you now just stated above while we were posting at the same time.
Yes, confusing.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
Hi all!

So, my wife and I have been renting a nice condo in a nice area for the past 5 years. We have NEVER had any issues or complaints in that time. In fact, our landlord loves us, and gave us rent with option to buy. Over the summer, out HOA changed companies. It use to be JP Morgan (I believe, and I am not sure what it currently is). We haven't had any issues with them, nor have I ever seen them around the condo area.

Anyway, this morning, while getting in my car to go to work, the old lady 3 garages down from us (that you NEVER see) was like "Excuse me, do you rent or own? I was like rent. She then stated that they had a board meeting on Monday night and wanted to get a count of who owns and who rents. She then stated that they want to make sure that everyone is complying with the bylaws." Why would this matter, and what are looking for?

As far as the bylaws go, we are in complete compliance with the exception of an extra dog. We currently have 2 dogs, both under 25lbs (35lbs is the max for here). You are allowed only 1 dog. We more or less rescued this dog, so that is how we got 2 dogs. Further, if this is an issue, than A LOT of people in here are going to have problems. In fact, our neighbor has a huge 60-70 lb breed, people have Goldens, German Shepards, etc. The one thing I could do if needed, I could register one dog as a service dog. I am diagnosed with BiPolar disorder, and have/currently under the car of a psychiatrist and on several meds. But, I was just curious if this is what the HOA is looking for, or what they mean by "compliance."

Have any of you ever had issues with the HOA? If so, for what? What do I do at this point? Will they harass us more because we are renting? I would think the property management would have that information on file. I'm probably over thinking this, but I am just waiting to get some kind of letter or something.

I would really appreciate your help, thoughts, etc.
The management company KNOWS how many renters/owners there are. No one needs to ask.

Never ever answer that question. The answer is none of that woman's business. She's just a nebby biddy trying to stir the pot because she has nothing better to do. You know, one of those people who people who hate HOA's point to as a big reason why we hate HOAs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting