Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 AM

558 posts, read 434,618 times

Advertisements

See your representative is suggesting that you talk to an attorney, try Legal Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Going back to the initial post, I read up a little on Section 8 rent, and it seems only the Housing Authority can raise your rent. That rent raise seems pretty extreme. I think we're missing some details on that.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 PM

21 posts, read 23,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Going back to the initial post, I read up a little on Section 8 rent, and it seems only the Housing Authority can raise your rent. That rent raise seems pretty extreme. I think we're missing some details on that.
actually that's not true if it's project based then that is hud but I have a HVC which is a housing choice voucher which mean I do fair are private market rent so as I was told is his house so he can raise the rent to what he wants to and I could either I could stay and pay the increase are move so I chosen to move for I can't afford to pay that plus all the bills on a part time job

Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You say you paid all of your rent on time and paid every month. Go to your Section 8 case worker and take all of your receipts to show that you paid every month AND PAID ON TIME so you do not owe several years worth of late fees.

I think maybe you snuck those cats in without permission and owe pet fees and maybe pet rent retroactively.

If you have proof that all rent was paid, Section 8 should not hold up your grant.

However, a lousy landlord reference that you snuck in unauthorized cats will make it difficult to find a new place to rent.

I don't think that anyone here can help you because of garbled and withheld information. Take all your paperwork to your case worker and see if they can get it straightened out.
sorry but there r two things and I feel that I never have to do and one of them is lying and with being said no he knew I had cats for he had been to the property more the one since I have lived here

Old 11-29-2016, 01:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Yeah, not correct. I have more than a half dozen section 8 tenants, and we raise the rent on them when appropriate. They do require 60 days notice instead of 30, but that is the only catch. What you might be misinterpreting is that only HUD can change what the tenant's portion of the payment is. The landlord has no say in that part.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yeah, not correct. I have more than a half dozen section 8 tenants, and we raise the rent on them when appropriate. They do require 60 days notice instead of 30, but that is the only catch. What you might be misinterpreting is that only HUD can change what the tenant's portion of the payment is. The landlord has no say in that part.
yes that is true but when a housing voucher there is and amount set of the unit size and the rent is now over my voucher amount so I pay 30% of my adjusted income as well as the amount that is over and for the zip code I live in it go only to 1120 a mth

Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
It does not matter if he knew the cats were there. He can charge you for the damage done by the cats. He can also raise the rent legally. What your local office determines is fair market rent does not matter.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It does not matter if he knew the cats were there. He can charge you for the damage done by the cats. He can also raise the rent legally. What your local office determines is fair market rent does not matter.
ok that fine he has that right but I don't have to rent from him now do I and I have that right and as for the so called damage he still to say what they r for and he claim I owe him money and I don't and how r there damage when I still live here

Old 11-29-2016, 02:57 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
1) where did anyone say there was any damage caused by the cats? No one here knows that nor was it ever stated by the OP.

2) the LL has not done any walk-thru to determine or assess any damage because the tenant has not even moved yet so the undocumented charge can not be for that (legally, at this point anyway).

3) No one says there is or isn't damage nor do we have any idea because we aren't the LL nor do we have any proof whether there is or isn't. The point is, when and if a LL charges someone for anything it has to be backed up with written PROOF, and sometimes receipts, of the damages and he has not provided the OP with a damn thing to back up that charge.

4) And raising the rent is not the OP's issue here either.

In a nutshell, the OP wants to move because of the rent increase but can't because the LL is claiming that they owe money. The LL is charging the tenant something that he has NOT provided proof of or documentation for to justify the charge. Hence, the LL has reported this to Housing and that has put a stop to OP moving.

You can speculate all you want about what the charge may be for however, no one will ever know what it is for sure unless, and until, the LL provides the information needed for the OP to proceed. Period.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
1) where did anyone say there was any damage caused by the cats? No one here knows that nor was it ever stated by the OP.

2) the LL has not done any walk-thru to determine or assess any damage because the tenant has not even moved yet so the undocumented charge can not be for that (legally, at this point anyway).

3) No one says there is or isn't damage nor do we have any idea because we aren't the LL nor do we have any proof whether there is or isn't. The point is, when and if a LL charges someone for anything it has to be backed up with written PROOF, and sometimes receipts, of the damages and he has not provided the OP with a damn thing to back up that charge.

4) And raising the rent is not the OP's issue here either.

In a nutshell, the OP wants to move because of the rent increase but can't because the LL is claiming that they owe money. The LL is charging the tenant something that he has NOT provided proof of or documentation for to justify the charge. Hence, the LL has reported this to Housing and that has put a stop to OP moving.

You can speculate all you want about what the charge may be for however, no one will ever know what it is for sure unless, and until, the LL provides the information needed for the OP to proceed. Period.
WoW THANK YOU THAT IS IT AN A NUT SHELL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting