Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:43 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullingmyhairout View Post
WoW THANK YOU THAT IS IT AN A NUT SHELL
You're welcome. Please make sure to use the resources I gave you in post #39 to contact someone to get assistance. Just don't back down on any of this and keep plugging away until you get answers!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Cornfused: May I say that if CD ever resurrects the $500 award for "most valuable poster", you'd be the first one I'd nominate.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
1) ......... but can't because the LL is claiming that they owe money. ............ Hence, the LL has reported this to Housing and that has put a stop to OP moving. ........
And all that OP needs to do is to take all of his receipts for rent paid on time, every month, down to his case worker to show that he does not owe money and that will reinstate his grant so that he can move. OP states that he has proof that he doesn't owe money.

He's in a rare district if he gets his Section 8 cut off for not paying the rent. Generally Section 8 doesn't care whether a tenant pays his portion or not.

I don't know why any landlord would be fighting to keep him there when he can't pay the rent. The landlord had his Section 8 voucher cut off, remember? So now the landlord has higher rent and tenant in place who can't pay it and the landlord isn't getting the Section 8 portion.

OP's version is missing something that I suspect would change the answer to his problem. Notice how long it took for him to mention the cats. What else is he dragging his heels about mentioning?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
1) where did anyone say there was any damage caused by the cats? No one here knows that nor was it ever stated by the OP.

2) the LL has not done any walk-thru to determine or assess any damage because the tenant has not even moved yet so the undocumented charge can not be for that (legally, at this point anyway).

3) No one says there is or isn't damage nor do we have any idea because we aren't the LL nor do we have any proof whether there is or isn't. The point is, when and if a LL charges someone for anything it has to be backed up with written PROOF, and sometimes receipts, of the damages and he has not provided the OP with a damn thing to back up that charge.

4) And raising the rent is not the OP's issue here either.

In a nutshell, the OP wants to move because of the rent increase but can't because the LL is claiming that they owe money. The LL is charging the tenant something that he has NOT provided proof of or documentation for to justify the charge. Hence, the LL has reported this to Housing and that has put a stop to OP moving.

You can speculate all you want about what the charge may be for however, no one will ever know what it is for sure unless, and until, the LL provides the information needed for the OP to proceed. Period.
I dont see how the landlord can report the tenant owes an arbitrary amount without telling housing what its for.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Cornfused: May I say that if CD ever resurrects the $500 award for "most valuable poster", you'd be the first one I'd nominate.
Gosh, thanks! Very nice to hear on this ever so crappy day that I am having.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont see how the landlord can report the tenant owes an arbitrary amount without telling housing what its for.
Agreed however, OP stated that Housing is being no help or they just don't want to, or won't, get involved which I find very strange. They should at least listen to the OP regarding what the circumstances are.

Again, I honestly don't know enough about Housing/Sec 8 (or that deep anyway) to know what they do for tenants and what they don't. I can only hope that OP contacts one of the resources I posted and finds some assistance.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 PM

539 posts, read 567,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And all that OP needs to do is to take all of his receipts for rent paid on time, every month, down to his case worker to show that he does not owe money and that will reinstate his grant so that he can move. OP states that he has proof that he doesn't owe money.

He's in a rare district if he gets his Section 8 cut off for not paying the rent. Generally Section 8 doesn't care whether a tenant pays his portion or not.

I don't know why any landlord would be fighting to keep him there when he can't pay the rent. The landlord had his Section 8 voucher cut off, remember? So now the landlord has higher rent and tenant in place who can't pay it and the landlord isn't getting the Section 8 portion.

OP's version is missing something that I suspect would change the answer to his problem. Notice how long it took for him to mention the cats. What else is he dragging his heels about mentioning?
Yes, exactly. Especially the last paragraph. I've never understood the point of seeking anonymous advice if they're not going to tell the truth about their problem, or at least advice changing information. Or not take the advice. Or argue about what others are saying.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:52 PM

583 posts, read 713,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Going back to the initial post, I read up a little on Section 8 rent, and it seems only the Housing Authority can raise your rent. That rent raise seems pretty extreme. I think we're missing some details on that.

The only thing I can think of is he did not report a change in income. Section 8 will sock you with an enormous fee if they find out you didn't report increase in income. Otherwise, I agree with you about there being some details missing from this.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
The only thing I can think of is he did not report a change in income. Section 8 will sock you with an enormous fee if they find out you didn't report increase in income. Otherwise, I agree with you about there being some details missing from this.
Again, Section 8 is not the one that is increasing the rent so your point is moot.

The LL is the one that increased it. And the increase in rent is not the OP's issue here. The issue here is that the OP wants to move and non-renew their lease because of the rent increase which should be fine. However, the LL is now telling the OP that they owe some crazy amount (other than rent) but will not provide any documentation, invoice, or justification as to what the charge is for (which the LL is required to do) so the OP can either pay it, contest it, or whatever.

The LL has since completed a form from Sec 8 and told Section 8 that the OP owes money (without justification) so Section 8 will not approve their move because of this unjustified and undocumented charge nor will they help or listen to the OP because of that letter. (which is the weird part)

So that is the story and where it is at. Nothing more and nothing less, based on what the OP has told us.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 AM

21 posts, read 23,382 times
wrong I still have my housing the cats have nothing to do with it and I can pay my part of the rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting